David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 12 year old in school, so we are stuck, we can't travel. Our schedule is around her, so I don't know. We'll have to go visit him, but we won't be on tour with him because she's in school.
From David Bowie's lovely missus, Iman, make of that what you will.

Interesting that Bowie hasn't released a big deluxe box of this album. Depeche Mode's Delta Machine is not being released in a big super deluxe box either.

Bought it today. The version with 3 bonus tracks (the only version being sold in Brazil).

It's a very well made digipak. And the bonus tracks are excellent.

I wish I were feeling this album, but unfortunately I just am not. I was really only taken with two tracks - Set the World on Fire and Heat - and even those don't approach the heights of Heathen or Reality, especially songs like 5:15 the Angels Have Gone or Bring Me the Disco King. He seems to be reaching for some hybrid of The Man Who Sold the World, with the aggressive guitars, and maybe some of the poppier moments of Heroes; I'm not really sure the combination works.

I wish I were feeling this album, but unfortunately I just am not. I was really only taken with two tracks - Set the World on Fire and Heat - and even those don't approach the heights of Heathen or Reality, especially songs like 5:15 the Angels Have Gone or Bring Me the Disco King. He seems to be reaching for some hybrid of The Man Who Sold the World, with the aggressive guitars, and maybe some of the poppier moments of Heroes; I'm not really sure the combination works.

I see Bowie from different eras here. Love is Lost is my fave for the moment. It has a Let's Dance vibe. The guitar sounds like the Stevie Ray Vaughn work on that record. Things like Cat People, Criminal World, China Girl...

Feel so lonely has that gorgeous Bowie voice, the deep tone. Stars are out is excellent. It sounds urgent to me. Great guitars... That break..

The Next Day sounds like a Scary Monsters lost track. Valentine's Day is like something from Ziggy or Aladdin.

It'a a really good album on par with Heathen and better than Reality IMO.

I relistened to Reality the other day and didn't like it as much as I remembered. There are four or five really good ones and a lot of pretty directionless tracks. Looking for Water never goes anywhere and Days is total old people music.

The Next Day is much better.

Yeah, those are the two weakest tracks on there.

The Next Day has its low points as well.

I think I prefer Disco King, Fall Dog, and She'll Drive over anything on the new album.

I know it's ludicrous to say at this point, but Aladdin Sane is underrated. Every piano note Mike Garson plays is miraculous. It's simply more fun and exciting than Ziggy, which is more consistent, I'll grant.

But really, the title track, Time and Lady Grinning Soul are some of the best songs I've ever heard and the rockers are a joy. I give it my lowest score ever: 7 thumbs up.

I know it's ludicrous to say at this point, but Aladdin Sane is underrated. Every piano note Mike Garson plays is miraculous. It's simply more fun and exciting than Ziggy, which is more consistent, I'll grant.

But really, the title track, Time and Lady Grinning Soul are some of the best songs I've ever heard and the rockers are a joy.

Totally agree on Aladdin Sabe, the title track, being underrated and one of his best songs. Time is excellent too. But, l think the album itself is very uneven. Ziggy is more consistent like you said.

It may sound sacrilegious, but i prefer my Bowie from Young Americans ahead. I'm not the hugest fan of glam Bowie...

The only songs that I would give lower than an 8/10 to are the Prettiest Star and Let's Spend the Night Together, so yeah, basically one of my favorite albums ever. And Station to Station is even better.

Ziggy doesn't have a single even slightly weak moment but very little on it moves me the way it used to before a hundred or so plays.

Bowie is the man, is the point I'm making here.

Oh and the solo on Aladdin Sane is a hundred times better than anything on the Next Day, which is itself really good.

Aladdin Sane is my favorite Bowie album, and Lady Grinning Soul is my favorite Bowie track. He had higher points conceptually, but as a collection of songs, Aladdin Sane is difficult to top. And I love that version of Let's Spend the Night Together. I think I might even prefer it to the Stones' version.

I remember learning Lady Stardust on piano - that intro riff is really unconventional. Not sure why I bring that up now, but there you go.

I think OpenG180 needs a more memorable name if he/she is going to post in here. I vote for OG 1 Ken80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom