Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anu said:
The new album is going to be hyped as a huge comeback to rock.

You don't book an arena tour with Modest Mouse and The National if planning more plodding plethoras of pleasant nothings.

My theory is that a combination of Bush-weary 'wow' will meet a moment of post-"Michael's finally an out fag" for renewed confidence and consciousness.

In other words, REM is taking a page from the last Springsteen and even ATYCLB era U2 -- a return to fucking form finally.

Can't WAIT!!!

Wow, you like your alliteration.

Hope you are correct, though.

If this is what it takes to get more younger people listening to R.E.M. and as a result, giving past albums like New Adventures, Document,etc a chance, then so be it!
This is a million miles better than what they were coming out with 4 years ago! The first single is always going to be the poppiest most radio friendly song on the album(well maybe not ALWAYS with R.E.M. but ya get my point!)
If people have listened to the Dublin rehearsals from last year I think most will feel pretty confident about this album!

Final Straw said:
The first single is always going to be the poppiest most radio friendly song on the album(well maybe not ALWAYS with R.E.M. but ya get my point!)

I know you said "not always," but I can't help it ...

E-Bow the Letter

Leaving New York (although I don't know what else they could have led with from that album)

Drive

xx

Did I miss a quote or an article that led people to start thinking this was going to be their appeal to the masses of "young folks"? Or is just going by this new track and the fact that Jacknife Lee is producing?

Because honestly, I don't think REM cares that much. If they're putting out a more upbeat album, it's because they want to. Sure, they'd like more sales - who wouldn't? But I've always gotten the impression they do exactly what they want to do and don't hitch their wagons onto trends.

While from this song it doesn't seem particularly groundbreaking or a huge new movement, its really catchy and should be a great lead single, although its still pretty obvious that R.E.M.'s time as a blockbuster seller has passed, but this should sell better than their last couple.

Yeah the regular price is awful, but that's probably a pretty good price for the special, depending on what Amazon will show up with. Then again I'm completely impatient so I'll be buying it in stores.

apples and oranges anyway

u2popmofo said:
that they think that they have to compete with the contemporary "young" artists of today, instead of just writing a good album.

Both of these things aren't possible ?

U2 doesn't "have" to compete with anyone, they chose to. I don't see much difference between "BD is us competing with Britney Spears" or "we want to compete with the music on the charts because I do think we're better".

Good, catchy song with a welcome return of the Mike Mills harmonies. Makes me think of their earlier albums like Lifes Rich Pageant but with more more modern sound, and it's a much better direction than the last three tedious albums.

Last edited:
powerhour24 said:
Yeah the regular price is awful, but that's probably a pretty good price for the special, depending on what Amazon will show up with. Then again I'm completely impatient so I'll be buying it in stores.

:up: Same here! I really don't like waiting for stuff to come in the mail...

If its something that I'm not highly anticipating, I find on sale online and don't mind waiting, then sure. But something like this I have to have my hands on right away.

European Tour Announced:

MARCH
24th: UK: London, Royal Albert Hall

JULY
2nd: Holland: Amsterdam, Westerpark
9th: France: Nice, Theatre De Verdure
15th: Germany: Dresden, Elbufer
16th: Germany: Berlin, Waldbuhne
18th: Switzerland: Locarno, City Square
20th: Italy: Perugia, Parco Giuliana
21st: Italy: Verona, Arena
23rd: Italy: Naples, Mostra d’Oltremare
24th: Italy: Udine, Villa Manin
26th: Italy: Milan, Arena

AUGUST
17th: Czech Republic: Prague, Slavia Stadium
19th: Germany: Stuttgart, Ehrenhof
20th: Germany: Loreley
22nd: Germany: Wurzburg, Marienfeste

SEPTEMBER
3rd: Norway: Oslo, Ullevaal Stadium
4th: Norway: Bergen, Koengen Stadium
6th: Denmark: Copenhagen, Parken Stadium
7th: Sweden: Stockholm, Stadium
9th: Finland: Helsinki, Finnair Stadium

More dates, notably European festivals and R.E.M. dates in the U.K., will follow soon, so please stay tuned.

lazarus said:

intedomine said:
Yeah, it seems that these days, unless you're Radiohead or White Stripes, it is a sin for a famous and immensely talented band, like REM, to release an album that doesn't have the indie-fundamentalists swooning all over it.

Personally, I'd actually take ATS and Reveal over AFTP. The albums have more cohesion if you ask my ear, and they don't feature considerably overplayed and overhyped longwinded songs like Drive, Nightswimming and Man On The Moon.

Why are you always wrong?

:lmao: I saw this just now!

I'd rather have a short album with good songs than a too-long album with a handful of mediocre songs thrown in to stretch it out.

corianderstem said:
I'd rather have a short album with good songs than a too-long album with a handful of mediocre songs thrown in to stretch it out.

Of course, but at this point in their careers and with 4 years since the last album, I would have expected more. I've found that short albums usually stick around for short times.

Unless of course you're a punk band.:wink:

bit of a disappointing review in that he seems to only have 3 ways to describe the songs
I do hope the songs won't be that much alike

good thing REM's music usually is beter than their reviews

djerdap said:

Thanks for posting that! :drool:

the music doesn't sound desperate, forced, or designed for maximum commercial impact, as with U2's last two records.

Well, that's a relief!

10. "Horse To Water"
Imagine "Little America" from Reckoning, but at triple speed and a hundred times more aggro. Imagine Mike Mills and Peter Buck with 'roid rage. Imagine Michael Stipe running after you, threatening to "pound the daylights out of you." You have just imagined this song.

:eeklaugh:

Man, I can't wait more than a month for this to come out! :scream:

There's a video for this up on Pitchfork, not sure if it's official or not.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/forkcast/48685-rem-supernatural-superserious

God, Peter Buck looks fucking old. He could be in The Eagles with that mug. That's what years of excessive drinking will do to you, kids!

Amazing that U2 are roughly the same age and seem to look so much fresher. I know, they try really hard and have help from stylists, but still.

That song's petty lame. I'm not very optimistic about this new album. Is it too early to pronounce R.E.M. officially dead? Or should I at least wait for the album to leak to declare how shitty they've become?

Back
Top Bottom