Religious Meanings in NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is less traffic here because there aren't many topics here. Maybe if more good topics (like this thread) were added, more people would visit this forum. :up: The same goes for It's A Musical Journey. That forum has seen quite a surge since we started moving threads there. :)

Very good point and makes a lot of sense.

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
Selah

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.

5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.

6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

7 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

8 Come and see the works of the LORD,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.

9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields with fire.

10 "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."

11 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

From No line, to Cedars....

Theologian Calls New U2 Album 'Most Thoroughly Christian' Project to Date

No Line On The Horizon, the latest album from Irish rock band U2, has finally hit music stores in North America after its worldwide debut Friday in Ireland.

Tue, Mar. 03, 2009 Posted: 04:41 PM EST

No Line On The Horizon, the latest album from Irish rock band U2, has finally hit music stores in North America after its worldwide debut Friday in Ireland.

And according to a theologian in Alabama, it’s “the most thoroughly Christian thing they’ve done yet.”

“Like the last two albums, No Line is much more overt in its Christian rendering of the world, what with lyrics like ‘Justified until we die/You and I will magnify/Oh, the Magnificent’ from the album's second track,” commented Steven R. Harmon, an associate professor of divinity at Samford University's Beeson Divinity School in Birmingham, Ala.

“Yet what qualifies this album as thoroughly Christian is not so much its pervasive biblical/theological images as its overarching eschatological vision,” he wrote Friday in a music review featured by the Associated Baptist Press.

The Christian themes in U2's music have been widely recognized since their 1981 album, October, which was ranked as No. 41 on CCM Magazine's 2001 list of the greatest Christian music albums of all time. Also included in the list was the group’s 1987 album, The Joshua Tree.

“The youthful October (1981) set the scene for what was to follow,” writes the Rt. Rev. Nick Baines, bishop of Croydon in South London, in his recent book Finding Faith: Stories of Music and Life.

“Songs of spiritual recognition and searching (‘Gloria,’ or ‘Tomorrow,’ for example) mingle with the exploration of love and lust,” he adds.

Of course, not all the songs included in U2’s albums have a Christian worldview, and some are arguably far from Christian, leading many conservatives to question the group’s beliefs. Those that are, however, have gone as far as to make their way into churches across the country and around the world, where they used as hymns, particularly in Episcopal churches.

"U2 is good at the art, using language like a poet would, like the classic hymn language,” the Rev. Christian Scharen, director of the Faith as a Way of Life Project at Yale Divinity School, told USA Today in 2006, two years after the release of U2’s last album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

“Listen to their lesser-known song ‘Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car,’ which is about grace,” the Lutheran minister added. “We mess up, but God is merciful. That's playful."

Regarding their latest album, Professor Harmon in Alabama says seven of the album's 11 songs invoke its central eschatological metaphor, which he says is the “sound of the divine song, heard only by those who have the ears to hear it, yet unconsciously sought by everyone, for all people were created to hear and sing this song.”

Within this framework, No Line calls people’s attention to the discordant dimensions of our world, Harmon adds, noting that the album’s basic message is that earth is not yet heaven.

“[T]he album summons us to ‘Get On Your Boots’ and work toward the day when things will fully be on earth as they are in heaven – when heaven and earth will be indistinguishable, and there will at last be no line on the horizon,” he wrote in his review.

Written and recorded in various locations, No Line On The Horizon is U2's 12th studio album and is their first release since the nine million selling album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb released in late 2004.

Rolling Stone magazine has already awarded No Line on The Horizon five stars, calling the album U2's "best, in its textural exploration and tenacious melodic grip, since 1991's Achtung Baby."

Christianity Today, meanwhile, said the album offers some of the most thoughtful and introspective lyrics put out by U2 frontman Bono, who the magazine noted as being “in love with Jesus and himself in equal measure.”

“There are the usual ‘is it Jesus or a girlfriend?’ teases, but those looking for more depth will find much to savor,” the evangelical publication added.

'No Line on the Horizon' Is No Radical Reinvention of U2 (Hooray!) | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

The line "I give you back my voice" reminds me of something Bono said in U2 by U2. He was talking about the October era, when the band almost split up and was using Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac as a reference. He said something to the effect that if you really want to keep something you have to be willing to let go of it, and only then will you truly have it. It's like the idea that if you are willing to give something to God, He will bless you by giving it back to you.

To me NLOTH is their most Christian spiritual record to date, but filled with even more cryptic poetry on the subject than ever before. Magnificent to me is very much a worship song (and I think the refrain is definitely referencing Magnificat) but is widely applicable (as One was about the strain different personalities put on close relationships from the near break-up of the band, but can be and has been so widely applied) to other situations. There are so many different moods of faith and spirituality throughout the album, even Cedars to me is very much about faith, "Where are you in the cedars of Lebanon?" wondering where God is in such a turbulent place. UC, God talking through modern technology, etc. Its inspiring and adds so much to the lyrics for me personally, but I don't think its going to offend anyone.

Here's an interesting interview with Beth Maynard co-editor of the book Get Up Off Your Knees about the theological perspectives in NLOTH.
An article I read, when I first became a fan in 1987, contained one phrase that has always stuck with me (I’ve never found the citation); the author said that U2 were characterized by “blood lust for the infinite.” Yeah. And yet we’ve arrived in 2009, and what’s the infinite now? “A great place to start.”
In Conversation with Beth Maynard...

God is Love

In what song is the line "God is Love and Love is evolution's very best day?"
Anyhow, I think Bono is saying evolution may have occurred, but God (Love) certainly had a hand in it (evolution). What do you all think? Possible interpretation?

White as Snow is clearly scriptural. "Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not? Only the lamb as white as snow."
Christ is referred to the lamb many times in Scripture.

Back
Top Bottom