she was so much more than "just a dog"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfeden

Refugee
calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decembe
photo gallery i put together last night

I thought I was ready for this. I'd been telling myself for months, she was really getting old and every new day was a blessing, that she could go at any time.. 12 years old on Dec 8th, for a Malamute her size that's like a human over a century old... most of her life she never dropped under 100 lbs, when we adopted her she weighed 135... over the last month she'd plummetted to 89 even though she still ate everything in sight..

then on Sunday it all happened so fast, she got so sick, couldn't eat or drink, by Monday she couldn't even stand up, not even after the vet had her on IV fluids and medicine all day..
so that night we said goodbye, she rested her beautiful head in my arms while he gave the shot..
it's friday now and I haven't stopped crying..

she was my companion for seven years..
in my life I've known, loved and lost many dogs, none of them were like Mali. none of them ever hurt so much to say goodbye to.

Don't say we have come now to the end..
White shores are calling... You and I will meet again, and you'll be here in my arms, just sleeping...

I'm so sorry to hear of youtr loss. The exact same thing happened to my cat a couple of years ago - he'd been with us for 12 years - so I know how you feel.:hug: :hug:

I'm so sorry about Mali - I put my Molly to sleep a few months ago on her 13th birthday...

:hug:

Did they have any idea what was wrong with her? Sorry - my curious vet side :reject:

My eyes teared up when I read your post, Wolfeden. It brought back memories of when my last cat became too ill to continue in this world, and we had to say goodbye at the vet's. It was three years ago and I still cry sometimes. I know exactly how you feel. It's not a pet, it's your friend. :sad: :hug:
She looks beautiful in her photos!

Its always so hard to say goodbye to our beautiful pets. I had to have my German Sheppard put to sleep 2 years ago and I still miss her, but I know she is with me in sprit.
Im sure your dog is safe and happy and also with you in sprit. Bless her.

Sorry to hear about that. My dog is almost like my kid (as I dont have any human children). So I can understand how you must be feeling. :hug:

I am so sorry for your loss. Animals are not just 'animals'. They are your companions, your kids.. each one is very special and such a big part of your life and it is so hard when you have to let them go. :(

biff said:
My eyes teared up when I read your post, Wolfeden. It brought back memories of when my last cat became too ill to continue in this world, and we had to say goodbye at the vet's. It was three years ago and I still cry sometimes. I know exactly how you feel. It's not a pet, it's your friend. :sad: :hug:
She looks beautiful in her photos!
same here. i'm really sorry for your loss, wolfeden. :hug:

I'm so sorry. I echo everything Sicy said in her post. Animals become part of our families. Pets only want to be loved and to love us in return and that is what makes them so wonderful and so hard to say goodbye to when the time comes.

You had to do the hardest thing possible, hold your beloved pet in her final moments. Please focus on the fact that you made the right call to end her suffering and you were with her in the end showing her how loved she was.

:sad:
bawling2.gif

I'm so sorry wolfeden. I just lost my very special friend of 8 years, my cat Nike - early last month. His loss was sudden too, so I know just how you feel. :sad: :hug:

We saw a cat on the internet right before Christmas that looked so much like Nike, that we decided to go meet him. Initially, I freaked because it was too close but not Nike - but the kids really loved him. My oldest son just melted with grief of our loss and really wanted to take the cat at the shelter home. I held the cat and he gave me a hug like Nike would. I figured if he could give me that kind of hug, I could get used to him. We ended up bringing him home that night and he's been working out. It's strange that he looks so much like Nike, but isn't - but somehow comforting too. Our new cat is Mojo - named by the shelter. Nike was named by the shelter too. :)

She's not just a dog, she was your Malamute, your friend. And she was absolutely beautiful - wow, that fur!

I remember putting my old Collie to sleep and it's such a paralyzing feeling you have afterwards, and the house is deathly quiet, and the last thing you need is somebody to tell you it was just a pet. Mali sounds like a great dog and you sound like you were a wonderful friend to her.

i was able to look at the pics tonight. what a beautie! i love the pic where her and your kitty are cuddling. gotta love dogs that don't terrorize cats! again, i'm really sorry. like others have said, pets are more like children than just some pet. if my cat needed a $3000 surgery, i'd come up with the money somehow, just like you'd do for a child.

I'm so sorry to hear this... :( What a beautiful dog she was! I've never seen a malamute before.

My heart truly goes out to you, in the short timeI've had my dog, I know that he's a member of the family I would be devasted if I ever lost him, I refer to him as my baby!

You're in my thoughts at this difficult time - try and hang in there.

:hug: wolfeden :hug:
Whether they've been with you 2 years or 12 years, whether you bought them or rescued them, whether they're feline or canine, these creatures are more than just animals to those of us who share our homes with them. They ARE family... and our grief when they leave us is just as profound as the loss of a human relative. My heart goes out to you, wolfeden, as do many others here. As the voice of experience, I can say that missing your baby will get easier. But don't EVER (!) apologize or feel bad for crying when you remember Mali - it just shows your love and compassion for another living being and that's never a thing to regret. Three years now after Mr. Blu & I lost our first baby, Sage, there are still times when I think of him & cry for missing him.

And frankly, anyone who can't feel your pain or won't at least try to understand it? - be wary of them. It may seem harsh, but to my mind, anyone that lacking in compassion is a very dangerous human being.

I hope you find peace with your memories of Mali. :heart:

I'm so sorry about your loss. Your Mali was such a beauty and I'm sure a huge part of your life. I had a malamute too...his name was Rolf Haagendog...and he was such a wonderful dog (looking at your photos reminds me so much of him). We got him when he was not quite five weeks old. I still miss my deceased pets terribly...even decades later, but as time goes by the wonderful times we shared has become stronger in my memory than the pain of their loss. I hope the same for you. Take care and allow yourself to grieve.

Back
Top Bottom