meet the autistic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I wasn't sure if I should put this thread here or in LS. Mods, if I'm screwing up, by all means move this. I have a form of autism called Aspergers' Syndrome. We often call ourselves "Aspies". It's a neurological disorder. People with AS lack social skills and have trouble communicating. We are people of habit, sameness and routine. It's really hard for us to accept any kind of change. Are there any other autistics here, or do you have one in your family?

verte76 said:
I wasn't sure if I should put this thread here or in LS. Mods, if I'm screwing up, by all means move this. I have a form of autism called Aspergers' Syndrome. We often call ourselves "Aspies". It's a neurological disorder. People with AS lack social skills and have trouble communicating. We are people of habit, sameness and routine. It's really hard for us to accept any kind of change. Are there any other autistics here, or do you have one in your family?

verte76, I know little or nothing about Aspergers' but I hope that you know you are much loved and respected on here for all your contributions to FYM and your peaceful, calming and diplomatic influence. Far from lacking social skills or having trouble communicating, I think you come across as someone with very good and diplomatic communication skills. Actually, at times I wish I had your communication skills :hug:

Thanks! Irvine and U2democrat, you're two of my favorite FYMers! I went through alot of real :censored: because I wasn't diagnosed right. The shrinks thought I had schizophrenia and some sort of personality disorder. Asperger's didn't make it into the diagnostic manuals until 1994 and I wasn't diagnosed until 2001. It was really, really hard. Some days are harder than others. At the end of the day you can only do your best.

Verte I totally respect you for speaking out. I know it can be so hard sometimes. I have a brain disorder that is very rare and it gets so hard trying to explain to people sometimes. I have tremors all the time that are worse at other times and people often ask questions and stare when I'm having a particularly rough day. I totally appreciate you speaking out about something like Aspies. The more information people have the better.

I've been meaning to tell you for sometime that I love your painting! From one artist to another I think you have incredible talent. :hug:

I'm always learning stuff from you, verte. One of the best FYMers ever. :hug: I didn't know nbc was an Aspie either (I'm using that word like it's always been part of my vocabulary when in fact I'm hearing it for the first time today, lol).

Back
Top Bottom