It was 1980...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
Anyone who posts over in FYM knows that I am very liberal politically--so liberal the Democrats don't even want me.

But folks, it hasn't always been this way. Nope. joyfulgirl has a skeleton in her closet, so ugly that she can only speak of it in the third person.

Back when she was just a wee thing, but old enough to vote in her first presidential election, she wasn't interested in politics. She was in college and having the time of her life. A Party Girl. But there was this pesky presidential election that she kept hearing about and finally she was shamed into voting, even though she didn't know anything about the candidates because her social calendar and her bong did not allow for such trivialities.

It was 1980. Ladies and gentlemen, joyfulgirl voted for the Gipper.

But she has learned the error of her ways.

*faints*

*opens one eye and makes a confession of her own*

errr...I'm young. Who the hell is the Gipper? lol.

I'm laughing my ass off here...I guess the young ones here can't relate to your post...all I can say is "blame it on the bong"
biggrin.gif

Oops, I had a feeling after I hit the 'submit reply' button that this might be a question here. The Gipper be Ronald Reagan. The Republican even Republicans are embarrassed by.

yeah, I don't think he's know as the Gipper to anyone under 35...I was 14 in 1980 and I have to admit that boys and the bong were more important to me than politics. I saw Reagan as "that old dude in the Bonzo movie" and couldn't have cared less who was president.

I read your posts all the time joyfulgirl, and I never would of thought of you voting Republican. If it was your first election, I gather you did not know too much about Jimmy Carter, and Regan's charming personality that you got sweep up by. I'm glad that you got this off your chest.

tiny dancer--it never happened again! I was at that age where I was both rebelling against my parents while still following their lead in certain other things like politics, and they were diehard Republicans. My mom still is.

But in 1980, I was just too lazy to think for myself. I grew up in Virginia where voting for Reagan was the thing to do so it seemed perfectly reasonable to do so at the time.

But I didn't vote at all in '84. I figured I needed to start paying attention first.

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
I was 14 in 1980 and I have to admit that boys and the bong were more important to me than politics.

You were smokin' dope at 14? In 1980?! Geez, I was scared to try coffee!

I not only voted for Reagan in 1980, I WORKED for his campaign. Time and biased media and selective history have villianized the man. WHY did I want Reagan?

* Carter was wanting to restart the draft and take women. I was 18 and prime bait.
* The gas prices were triple what they were when I started driving 3 years earlier
*Inflation and prices were outrageous
* the sheet metal co. in our town said it had to cut everyone's salary in half or close
* we were an international joke and the hostages were being held in Iran

Anyone who only bases their opinions on what they have read may not know the whole story. Time and liberal media and writers have been very unfair to Reagan. I stand by my vote. Do you think Carter would have done us any better?

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
You were smokin' dope at 14? In 1980?! Geez, I was scared to try coffee!

My parents were very young when they had me and I grew up around it. They still smoke it but I haven't touched it since I was 18, go figure? I guess I got it out of my system early. I will tell you though, if I found out my 14 year old was doing it, I wouldn't be too thrilled. He was pretty shocked when he saw my mom doing it so I'm glad I stopped when I did.

oops

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 04-16-2002).]

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
I not only voted for Reagan in 1980, I WORKED for his campaign. Time and biased media and selective history have villianized the man. WHY did I want Reagan?

* Carter was wanting to restart the draft and take women. I was 18 and prime bait.
* The gas prices were triple what they were when I started driving 3 years earlier
*Inflation and prices were outrageous
* the sheet metal co. in our town said it had to cut everyone's salary in half or close
* we were an international joke and the hostages were being held in Iran

Anyone who only bases their opinions on what they have read may not know the whole story. Time and liberal media and writers have been very unfair to Reagan. I stand by my vote. Do you think Carter would have done us any better?

Stormy, this isn't FYM. I don't want to debate about Reagan. This is supposed to be funny, how a radical liberal girl started out as a right-wing Republican. C'mon, have a laugh.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
*faints*

*opens one eye and makes a confession of her own*

errr...I'm young. Who the hell is the Gipper? lol.

sula!!! I cannot believ you didn't know the Gipper! *realizes you were raised in the wild jungles of Sulawesi* Ok, but yeah, let that be a lesson to you:

Lilly knoweth more than you on SOMETHING!

*does self congratulatory dance*

*realizes this victory was won by default*

*cries*

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

Joufulgirl,

Don't worry I can realign the universe for you. Rush Limbaugh did not. Rush never voted for Reagan. Don't tell a certain Mr. Lem******, he may loose what little sanity he has.

------------------
?Economy is the basis of society. When the economy is stable, society develops. The ideal economy combines the spiritual and the material, and the best commodities to trade in are sincerity and love.? Morihei Ueshiba

Originally posted by chain:
Joufulgirl,

Don't worry I can realign the universe for you. Rush Limbaugh did not. Rush never voted for Reagan.

Oh my goodness...I'm afraid the world isn't realigned for me now, it's crazier than ever!

I could smell the sh!t storm brewing on the horizon when I read the post. And luckily I was not disapointed. God bless free speech and people with a good sense of humor.
wink.gif

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:

Stormy, this isn't FYM. I don't want to debate about Reagan. This is supposed to be funny, how a radical liberal girl started out as a right-wing Republican. C'mon, have a laugh.

You know I was so worked up over the crap I was upset over in the other thread, I honestly didn't notice! When I came back to look for this thread again I went to FYM! LOL! Sorry.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-17-2002).]

I'm laughing my ass off here...I guess the young ones here can't relate to your post...all I can say is "blame it on the bong"
biggrin.gif

Bwuahahahaha - "blame it on the bong"

joyfulgirl - don't feel bad - I voted for him too. And I lean pretty far to the left myself... hehe

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

yeah, I don't think he's know as the Gipper to anyone under 35...I was 14 in 1980 and I have to admit that boys and the bong were more important to me than politics. I saw Reagan as "that old dude in the Bonzo movie" and couldn't have cared less who was president.

Being under 30 (at least for the next two weeks) - I knew exactly who she was talking about. Not giving people enough credit here!

When he left office - I was 16, which meant he was in office for half of my life - YIKES! Anyway, much like the current guy, he is just a puppet.

Originally posted by zonelistener:
Being under 30 (at least for the next two weeks) - I knew exactly who she was talking about. Not giving people enough credit here!

I'm sorry, I guess I should have said "a lot of people under 35"
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
I would vote for him again.

At least you're consistent. I've never voted for the same person twice.

Originally posted by Crzy4Bono:
Bwuahahahaha - "blame it on the bong"

joyfulgirl - don't feel bad - I voted for him too. And I lean pretty far to the left myself... hehe

So, what's your excuse?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by tiny dancer:
Does that mean that you did not vote for Clinton twice?

There is no way I voted for Clinton twice!! I did vote for him in '92--and I was actually really happy to vote for him. But now I cannot even look at the man without feeling sick. I can't stand him.

Back
Top Bottom