UK General Election June 8th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The more I read about the DUP, the more they befuddle me. So they're really gung-ho about Brexit, but don't want to inflame the Irish border situation? How the fuck does that work? It doesn't, that's how. They seem to want everything at once - an open border but none of dem immygants, and the ease to travel to Dublin tomorrow morning on a whim but to also stay within a narrow, exclusionary UK that is not part of the EU. Bloody hell.

The more I read about the DUP, the more they befuddle me. So they're really gung-ho about Brexit, but don't want to inflame the Irish border situation? How the fuck does that work? It doesn't, that's how. They seem to want everything at once - an open border but none of dem immygants, and the ease to travel to Dublin tomorrow morning on a whim but to also stay within a narrow, exclusionary UK that is not part of the EU. Bloody hell.

This is the greatest.

By getting in with the DUP, the Tories will have shown that their 'Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser' shtick reeks of hypocrisy - though I'm not exactly surprised.

Vlad, you will like this haha i love Jonathan Pie :D

For all their issues in the past, Irish people are still white Christians.

May is an absolute joke, she's continuing like nothing has happened and is a weak, weak leader. Also, looks like Scottish Independence is finished for a while, the SNP have no majority for it now looking at this election and in recent independence polls. So proud a lot of the UK stood up for the left in this election and against nationalism and showed its not a country of backward thinking xenophobes. Gives me hope for the future. The downside is Britain is in serious, serious, serious trouble with Brexit.

May is an absolute joke, she's continuing like nothing has happened and is a weak, weak leader. Also, looks like Scottish Independence is finished for a while, the SNP have no majority for it now looking at this election and in recent independence polls. So proud a lot of the UK stood up for the left in this election and against nationalism and showed its not a country of backward thinking xenophobes. Gives me hope for the future. The downside is Britain is in serious, serious, serious trouble with Brexit.

yep, very worrying times ahead... May should do the decent thing and step down - she wasn't elected then, and she does not have the mandate now

While acknowleding I'm very new to UK politics, the SNP's inability to gain traction seems to lend a bit of additional justification Sinn Fein's refusal to take their seats. Obviously it's a principled stand more than anything, but it seems clear that very little would have come of it for them.

While acknowleding I'm very new to UK politics, the SNP's inability to gain traction seems to lend a bit of additional justification Sinn Fein's refusal to take their seats. Obviously it's a principled stand more than anything, but it seems clear that very little would have come of it for them.
The SNP have governed poorly locally in Scotland (in the devolved Scottish Parliament) and seen education and health targets not being met. They have focused solely on independence at any cost and the Scottish people have woken up to it to an extent and voted less for them in this election. They could've been part of a UK coalition government if in fact they got the same amount of seats they got in 2015. Sinn Fein refuse to swear an oath to the Queen so won't take their seats. To me its pig headed in the current situation where they could do some real damage to the Tories.

:applaud: Congrats to Great Britain!

Obviously there is a bumpy road ahead. Brexit. Still.... :applaud:

I stay up late here on the East Coast (USA) so I was getting early morning BBC radio (via National Public Radio via local Public Radio) of the morning after the voting... hearing May's numbers going down, and down.

As ML said maybe inspirational here in the USA for 2018!

in other news - Trump has indefinitely postponed his State visit to the UK because he is afraid of large-scale protests, and will wait until the public supports him visiting, so looks like he will visit er never :D

chicken

The SNP have governed poorly locally in Scotland (in the devolved Scottish Parliament) and seen education and health targets not being met. They have focused solely on independence at any cost and the Scottish people have woken up to it to an extent and voted less for them in this election. They could've been part of a UK coalition government if in fact they got the same amount of seats they got in 2015. Sinn Fein refuse to swear an oath to the Queen so won't take their seats. To me its pig headed in the current situation where they could do some real damage to the Tories.
I'd love to see Sinn Fein take their seats to fuck up this coalition, especially since the DUP are way more militarized in 2017 than Sinn Fein are. What a scary coalition May has put together, though it cannot possibly last. The DUP are fucking batshit.

Doesn't the DUP being added to May's government kind of violate the Good Friday Agreement?

Seems to be no "kind of" about it! It's disgusting that May is putting her own gain ahead of maintaining Northern Ireland's delicate peace.

Horrid human being. Deserves no sympathy, but sadly a large portion of the UK pundit class have fallen for it.

Might need to update the thread title to say October 14th after tomorrow.

What an utter shambles.

boris johnson's term as prime minister being absolutely nothing but multiple failures and embarrassments day after day is really fun to watch from over here.

boris johnson's term as prime minister being absolutely nothing but multiple failures and embarrassments day after day is really fun to watch from over here.

Who would've thought that a man who's spent his life constantly failing upwards and only being held up by his immense privilege would absolutely crash and burn as Prime Minister. :happy:

I saw a clip on Colbert tonight of a member of his own party up and waking over to sit with the other side while Johnson was speaking.

It was fantastic :D.

Now let's imagine a single Republican doing the same.

Crickets.

Back
Top Bottom