the next upsurge? - chicagoan sit down strike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Se7en

Rock n' Roll Doggie
made famous by UAW workers at GM's flint plant in 1936-37 and outlawed by the scotus in 1939 (nlrb v. fansteel metallurgical corp.), the sit down strike could be making a comeback:

YouTube - Angry Laid-off Workers Occupy Factory in Chicago

Laid-off workers become symbol of mounting anger - Yahoo! News
The Republic Windows and Doors factory closed abruptly last week after Bank of America canceled the company's financing. Since then, about 200 of the 240 laid-off workers have taken turns occupying the factory, declaring that they will not leave until getting assurances they will receive severance and accrued vacation pay...

The workers show up in groups of 50 or 60 to occupy the plant around the clock in eight-hour shifts.

The union assigns some employees to clean the factory and make sure it's safe. Others take in food donations brought to the door. Outside, they hung a huge American flag, and some huddle around a fire in a garbage can.

The protest — along with vocal support from President-elect Barack Obama, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, civil rights activists and others — has also created something else: a chance for unions that have been losing members and strength for years to show they still matter.

"I hope it's the beginning of a real fight-back movement," said Leah Fried, an organizer for the United Electrical Workers, which represents the Republic workers, who are mostly Hispanic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/09/us/09chicago.html?hp
Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich, who met with the workers Monday morning, said the State of Illinois was suspending its business with the Bank of America, Republic Windows’ lenders, and that the Illinois Department of Labor was poised to file a complaint over the plant closing if need be. Political leaders on the Chicago City Council and in Cook County threatened similar actions.

Chicago Indymedia: PHOTOS: Workers Occupy Republic Factory in Chicago
1k-12-6-08cag.jpg

you got bailed out. we got sold out.

let the expropriation begin? :angry:

“When a company faces such a dire situation, its lender is not empowered to direct the company’s management how to manage its affairs and what obligations should be paid,”

Oh yes it is. When it's the citizens tax dollars involved, and approved by my Congress, we sure as hell have a say so. I want the bail out to go for just this reason.
The days of sitting back and being screwed by this type of underhanded treatment is over.
We're not gonna take it, any longer. !!
I wish I could be there to stand or sit in with them. :up:

Workers win a big round in Chicago factory sit-in - Yahoo! News

CHICAGO – The creditor of a Chicago plant where laid-off employees are conducting a sit-in to demand severance pay said Tuesday it would extend limited loans to the factory so it could resolve the dispute, but the workers declared their protest unfinished...

Leah Fried, a spokeswoman for the union representing the workers, said Tuesday that it was too soon to know whether the sit-in will be called off. She said that workers would have to vote to end the action but that negotiations among the bank, the company and union representative continued.

Workers, who received just three days' notice before the plant shut down on Friday, argue that the company violated federal law because employees were not given 60 days' notice that they were losing their jobs.

The Associated Press: Chicago workers end sit-in at closed factory

Republic Windows & Doors, union leaders and Bank of America reached the deal Wednesday evening. Each former Republic employee will get eight weeks' salary, all accrued vacation pay and two months' paid health care, said U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, who helped broker the deal. He said it works out to about $7,000 apiece...

The workers are "very, very satisfied" with the agreement, said Mark Meinster of the United Electrical Workers union, which represents the employees. "Hopefully this is an example for workers across the country that when things like this happen, you can step up, you can speak out, and you can win," he said.

i'm glad they were able to fulfill their goal, but it's a shame that they didn't demand more.

Back
Top Bottom