The Edge and Fractal Audio Axe FX II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
The Edge and Fractal Audio Axe FX II

Summer of 2010 I ran into Dallas at Guitar Center Hollywood. Amongst other topics, I told him about the Fractal Audio Axe FX.

I told him that I'd forward the info to him at Principle Management the following Monday.

Seems he was interested enough to check it out.

I've heard some in-ear monitor mixes from the S. American shows where Edge mentions Fractal during soundcheck. Seems he was A/B-ing sounds.

It also seems that it will be used, at least for smaller promo shows as one was in his rack for the Oct 15th, 2011 Clinton Decade of Difference show at the Hollywood Bowl.

Have a good look at this photo from the Clinton Decade of Difference. Look at the unit in the bottom of the rack. Big square green display.

303779_226978964027980_166820623377148_611129_155750298_n.jpg

6365065939_790f2f2013_z.jpg

6365066167_b0c33a0135_z.jpg

6365067171_059f768927_z.jpg

Now look at the Axe FX II. (At the link below)

TGR220_axefx1-660-80.jpg

Fractal Audio Systems - Axe-Fx II Guitar Processor, Preamp, Effects Processor - MFC-101 MIDI Foot Controller

why you know that?

I know that he has one as it was mentioned during a soundcheck, while there were in S. America.

Friend had sent me an IEM of soundcheck where Edge is A/Bing sounds. He was asking back and forth for the Fractal. And at one point said something to the effect of 'this is the future' to (FOH Soundman) Joe O'Herlihy.

where? i dont see that

As I mentioned earlier, I was mistaken about it being in the rack.

Or at least what I thought was the Axe in that rack.

That said, some folks that were sitting closer to the stage that I was have said to me that there was one there near the laptop.

That said, I've not been able to find any photos of it.

As for him having one... As mentioned, there is an IEM (I don't remember which location off the top of my head), where Edge mentioned the Fractal a few times during the soundcheck.

Someone shared this bit on U2 Recording Group:

From the Admin at the Fractal Audio Forum:

Axe-Fx II and The Edge

Hello all,

Wanted to share some cool news with you... We recently spent two weeks in a Dublin studio with The Edge, exploring the Axe-Fx II. Together we dialed in sounds -- amps, cabs, delays, and more -- working both from U2's original recordings and Edge's live rig, also taking the time for some totally new creations.

Edge is not only a great musician, but a true virtuoso when it comes to using technology as a creative tool. This made for a really intense and enjoyable time, and the results were exciting and inspiring, especially as U2 prepare to begin work early next year on some new material.

It was a unique opportunity and an incredible experience, and we at Fractal Audio look forward to how the story might continue...

There is a mention in this months Guitar Player with Zane Carney (Reeve Carney's brother) who is the guitarist for the musical and he said they are using the Fractal and that the Edge was pretty involved in the sound he got...

Back
Top Bottom