So, how good musicians are they? Also, Bono's voice question for singers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Question for drummers/bassists/guitar players: how would you rate Larry, Adam and Edge compared to other bands?

Kind of a technical question about Bono: the other day someone posted he is a high baritone with a big range. I always thought he was a tenor, as he is able to hit the high notes. So, which is it?

He's probably a baritone with huge range. Look at it this way: Prince is naturally a mid-baritone, and yet his falsetto is flat out /gorgeous/. You'd think he were female. Range has nothing to do with where your voice naturally rests; it's how you develop things.

I mean notes like I still haven't found, Bad, Pride chorus ... not falsetto.

I remember reading Johnny Cash was a baritone, or Eddie Vedder. Those sound like more resonating, lower voices than Bono.

I'd rate Adam and Larry fairly low in comparison to other bassists and drummers. Edge...debatable. The problem is that U2's songs usually tend to maintain the same structure from start to finish. Some of Adam's bass lines are actually laughable. You have no idea how boring it is to play U2 songs on bass. It's the same line played over and over again. No variation whatsoever. There's sometimes the odd middle eight here and there, but that hardly counts. There are other bands out there who are capable of far more than U2 are musically.

That said, there's always been more focus on the lyrics and catchy riffs within U2, not epic displays of instrumentation.

i'd say Larry is a solid drummer with good drumlines, but he's not a technical master or anything -- same would go for Adam. Edge has a unique sound that you wont hear anywhere else, and Bono's voice is definitely one of a kind. I don't think they are good enough to go off and do their own things, but as a group they are much better than their technical abilities may hold them to be.

That's why I love U2 so much, they really are not great musicians, and they have admitted that many times themselves. But they are a very unique group, when they started out they had a different attitude about the music, it's not about the complexity of the song or the music, it's about finding the emotion or the soul of the song and sharing it, the complete honesty of there songs is what made me love U2. They were a band before they even new how to play there instruments, and I am driven to bands with a bigger ambition, honest, and show there emotion over how great of musicians they are.

As musicians they are technically very low down the ladder. If you count Bono's voice as an instrument then he's arguably the best.

Edge seems quit respected though for his sounds. He plays like just learned to play guitar but where other guitarists spend all their time perfecting a signature sound/style, Edge finds different sounds for every song. Although the delayheavy Where the streets sound probably always will be associated with him.

Larry is a solid drummer but it seems like he plays more of the same types of beat on the same kinds of songs.

Adam still sounds like akid who was told to play the bass cause there were not other instruments for him left to play and somebody had to do it. It was great seeing him move about this tour emerging from his dark corner but technically he's seems to be going downhill. He can't or won't even play his bass solo from Gloria. He just arpegiates some chords and that's it. No more slapping and plucking.

These guys are very fortunate indeed that most people never hear (or care about) the difference between something played very basic and simple and something that is technically complicated. And that they chemistry they have together and with their audience is what makes them and any other good band great. Not playing 10.000 notes per minute.

Muad'zin said:
As musicians they are technically very low down the ladder. If you count Bono's voice as an instrument then he's arguably the best.

Edge seems quit respected though for his sounds. He plays like just learned to play guitar but where other guitarists spend all their time perfecting a signature sound/style, Edge finds different sounds for every song. Although the delayheavy Where the streets sound probably always will be associated with him.

Larry is a solid drummer but it seems like he plays more of the same types of beat on the same kinds of songs.

Adam still sounds like akid who was told to play the bass cause there were not other instruments for him left to play and somebody had to do it. It was great seeing him move about this tour emerging from his dark corner but technically he's seems to be going downhill. He can't or won't even play his bass solo from Gloria. He just arpegiates some chords and that's it. No more slapping and plucking.

Does Flea still use a lot of slapping and plucking? I don't really hear him using it as much on the most recent Chili Peppers songs I've heard, but maybe I'm not picking up on it.

I don't think it's a matter of Adam can't play the solo, if he could play it when he was just starting out, he can still do it, but just chooses to play it without plucking or slapping.

Have you heard backing tracks to Gloria? I think he plays the solo, 2 other times in the song, but it's not as clear as the whole band is playing the other times.

I figured Adam was going uphill, as he plays songs differently. I was reading at a bass players' forum and this one person really looked down his nose at those who used picks, that using fingerstyle shows more proficiency. Now that was just one person's opinion, but I have noticed Adam plays without a pick a lot more lately. ATCYLB and Pop are probably his most non-pick playing albums. (From what I've noticed on live versions)

Oh U2 girl, I saw this thread about Adam from a rather large bass players' forum. (I lurk but don't post).

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218553&highlight=Adam+Clayton

I figured Edge was a more respected as a guitarist than the other 3, but 'he plays like he just learned guitar.' Really? I figured he was better than that.

I really don't know what makes a drummer good or bad, so I dunno about Larry.

Last edited:
My opinions on this, specificaly larry and adam differ.

As a musician/songwriter i find that Adams bass lines, while repetetive as all hell, are practicaly perfect. Songs like mysterious ways, wowy, please are structured around these bass lines and they work perfectly. Granted, they aren't very technical, but they are melodicaly perfect.

Larry's drumming is fantastic in the fact that he is a metronome. Nothing too flashy, but his timing is perfect. He also has the ENORMOUS task of controlling the biggest sound that any band has ever made. I really don't think any other drummer could do what he does and make it sound nearly as good. He also uses great dynamics in his playing that many more technicaly proficient drummers lack. The symble explosion in i will follow is a great example of this, or the slow steady marching intro of please...and for all of carter beauford's mastery, his drumming lacks this aspect.

As for Edge... he's just on another level and would've made any band famous just due to his ability to write perfect guitar pieces, monster riffs and memorable melodies. I forget where in "u2 at the end of the world" but they mention an early u2 show where a high ranking music industry person could "hear that the guitarist had the magic" and the rest of the band was trying to catch up.

bono has the rare ability as a singer to go into a range that only he and freddie mercury (and now maybe jim james of my morning jacket) can go to. He can't do it much anymore, but the zootv versions of mysterious ways (the post falsetto "cmon love cmon love" and the "halleluja" outro of running to stand still are the range i am talking about. Just that screaming, yet almost operatic zone that is basicaly unattainable unless born with that ultra rare ability (quote verbatim from my vox teacher, whom considers bono the greatest non opera singer ever).

Put it all together, and it adds up too unique musicianship, which ultimately is more worthwhile than ability. Session musicians are sessions musicians for a reason. They sound clean and professional, but lack the depth and originality of other, less technical musicians who've made it to the big time (see radiohead as another example of this).

thrillme said:
Does Flea still use a lot of slapping and plucking? I don't really hear him using it as much on the most recent Chili Peppers songs I've heard, but maybe I'm not picking up on it.

It matters not that the RHCP have changed their style from funkrock to poprock, but if Flea can still work those fingers when he plays their older stuff.
From what I heard he still can.

I don't think it's a matter of Adam can't play the solo, if he could play it when he was just starting out, he can still do it, but just chooses to play it without plucking or slapping.

There we have to disagree because I firmly believe Adam can't play that solo any more or has forgotten how. After all, its 15 years since they last played Gloria. There is an interview with Bono from 1984, when the band is about to go on the road again where he says that after a year's hiatus in touring Edge had to put on the record in order to ascertain what he was playing because he had forgotten how to play the songs. And you would not believe many times I have heard Adam f*** up even his own basslines live. Even to songs he should know by heart like New year's day. Playing stupid mistakes like chorus parts during verse or vice versa. During one the two Vancouver shows he's almost constantly playing the wrong parts in Vertigo. Surely if you make that kind of mistakes on a regular basis then forgetting how to play a certain bass part in a song isn't that far off.

Have you heard backing tracks to Gloria?

Yes. In my version the bass solo starts as 03:05

I think he plays the solo, 2 other times in the song, but it's not as clear as the whole band is playing the other times.

What Adam does nowadays is play the intro to his bass solo twice, the actual solo, just simple octave slaps and pulls he doesn't play on any performance of Vertigo Gloria that I've heard. And I must have heard them all.

I figured Adam was going uphill, as he plays songs differently. I was reading at a bass players' forum and this one person really looked down his nose at those who used picks, that using fingerstyle shows more proficiency. Now that was just one person's opinion, but I have noticed Adam plays without a pick a lot more lately. ATCYLB and Pop are probably his most non-pick playing albums. (From what I've noticed on live versions)

Just because somebody frowns his nose at pick playing doesn't mean his view is superior. Yes, you may become more proficient at playing with your fingers as time goes by. It doesn't have to mean your overall bag of tricks improves. Just that you become too comforatable doing the things you already know.

I figured Edge was a more respected as a guitarist than the other 3, but 'he plays like he just learned guitar.' Really? I figured he was better than that.

Playing Edge's guitarlines is fairly simple. The real bitch, and its a huge one, is in getting the right sound. And that for every song. That is why I tip my hat to mr. Evans. Most guitarist would spend their lives looking for one great tone and when they find it, stick to it like superglue for the rest of their lives. He has to have a new for every damn song.

I really don't know what makes a drummer good or bad, so I dunno about Larry.

Larry is absolutely rock solid. The only thing I can fault him with is that since Achtung Baby its like I hear his basic UTEOTW drum beat crop up in so many other songs.

Muad'zin said:

It matters not that the RHCP have changed their style from funkrock to poprock, but if Flea can still work those fingers when he plays their older stuff.
From what I heard he still can.

On the topic of Flea (Muad'zin, I know you probably already know this, but for the benefit of thrillme), Flea's current bass lines are about a thousand times more interesting than any bass line Adam has ever done. And that's saying something, because Flea doesn't play with nearly the same amount of technical prowess on the new songs than he does on something like BSSM. So even then, Flea at his worst is, I feel, better than Adam at his best. Bringing Flea into the picture is just silly because he's one of the greatest bassists alive today.

I'm not trying to knock Adam or anything, I just think he's not that interesting as a bassist. His lines support U2's sound there's no denying that, but they're hardly anything that'll make people step back and say, "That Adam Clayton, he's one hell of a bass player." Adam's biggest problem is that he mainly plays the root chords and nothing else. No little variations to the main bass lines in most U2 songs. The only time when he really was interesting, in my view, was on Pop.

Originally posted by The_One1932

Put it all together, and it adds up too unique musicianship, which ultimately is more worthwhile than ability. Session musicians are sessions musicians for a reason. They sound clean and professional, but lack the depth and originality of other, less technical musicians who've made it to the big time (see radiohead as another example of this).

Interesting, because I feel Radiohead are far more technically advanced than U2 are at the present. Jonny Greenwood used to be a monster on guitar and I think he still has it in him to create the technical riffs he made in his past. Their current music just doesn't support the kind of stuff he was writing on The Bends. That said, his work on HTTT was better, I feel, than Edge's work on HTDAAB. And I think Colin Greenwood is a far better bassist than Adam is. Take, for example, live versions of I Might Be Wrong and compare it to the bass in any U2 song. Not to mention the synth in Radiohead songs. So to label them as less-technical musicians confuses me a little.

I don't know, I just feel U2 currently has one of the dullest rhythm sections in the rock, pop/rock scene.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think Adam plays possum more often than not. He isn't required to do anything other than keep time with Larry, and underscore the more extroverted pair. And he does.

As far as Larry, that man couldn'tbe better. He has no skills, as far as he's concerned, but I can identify a U2 song by his signature soft-hand playing (Notice the difference in him playing the drum line in 40 alone on the stage versus playing SBS witht he band. His solo, alone on the stage, isa hell of a lot louder and technical.)

U2 are self taught. They have their own sound, and their drums and bass sound hauntingly the same song to song. Edge has an incrediblely strong talent on guitar. I feel he and Bono are the strength of the group.

As for Bono's voice....it sounds to me like a tenor not baritone, and he has developed quite a range over the years. I love listenign to him hit and hold those notes during Miss Sarajevo and SYCMIOYO. His voice has changed and matured throughout the years, but I feel he is sounding very strong and healthy of late.

I so love hearing all these opinions.

I myself have as much musical ability as a blade of grass, so I love hearing people who really know what they are talking about have a reasoned and well informed discussion.

I heard someone say once that U2 have great songs that will be remembered and talked about, but no one will remeber how they sound, because no one can play them. (as U2 does)

What do you all think of that statement?

Wasn't Larry in a marching band or something? Cause it really shows through in alot of their stuff if he was. I don't think that their are any guitarist in the world who understand the instrument and what its capable of aswell as Edge its amazing to think about the time he puts into every song.

I think there is more to being a muscision than just playing lots of notes. Theres a lot of bands out there that play really fast complicated solos and it just doesnt have any structure as a song. For me it's not about playing as many notes as you can, rather the overall sound and as a band, I don't think anyones on their level.

am22884 said:
I think there is more to being a muscision than just playing lots of notes. Theres a lot of bands out there that play really fast complicated solos and it just doesnt have any structure as a song. For me it's not about playing as many notes as you can, rather the overall sound and as a band, I don't think anyones on their level.

yes, but i dont think anyone would argue if edge did some "proper" solos on the next album.

:rockon:

I think they're all great within the context of U2, but even Edge would probably struggle being thrown into any other band.

They all do what they need to do, and that's all.

U2 are certainly four parts that come together to make this extraordinary thing. And in the entire U2 canon, they each have their shining moments.

EDGE: The Fly, New Years Day, Pride, etc.
ADAM: Seconds, IGWSHA, SYCMIOYO
LARRY: Mofo, UTEOTW, Like A Song
BONO: ISHFWILF, SYCMIOYO, Pride

Take a song like SYCMIOYO – the way the instruments work along and within one another, never overpowering the other ones, is an amazing feat. Top it all off with a heartfelt, powerhouse of a vocal from Bono and you have something you can dissect with your ears over and over again.

They’re all master in their own field. Compared to others, maybe not so much, but what they do…they do well.

And Bono’s a tenor.

One of the reasons why I love U2 so much is because of their signature sound. Being a musician, I'm attracted to anything that sounds unique, and lets face it, there's a lot of "generic" music out there that sounds the same. No other band sounds like U2. The reason for this, is because of the way they play their instruments. While not flashy like Van Halen or some classic rock, U2 makes up for it in their sound.

Larry for example, has admitted many times that he doesn't do drum solos or flashy stuff because he can't. Drummers often find this a weakness, because often they're too darn cocky and full of themselves to not be right up in the mix showing off. (I know because I am one) They just can't stand to do a simple 1 and 3 rock beat. However, from experience, I can say that the most important thing for a drummer to do is to keep time like a metronome, and thats EXACTLY what Larry does. Have you ever listened to Green Day? Even on their studio albums their tempos are up, down, up down and live its even worse. Listen to Larry live and what do you find? Solid as a rock, a breathing metronome. Why is that? Well for one thing U2 has backing synth tracks to many of their songs, which require Larry to play to a "click" track that he hears in his monitors. This is what 90% of other bands don't, and cannot do. It is very difficult, and Larry has to be given major props for it. For another thing, Larry keeps things relatively simple, so he doesn't distract from this mix. If you know drummers, than you know that the time they drop the beat is usually in the process of a drum fill. Its better to do a simple solid drum fill and stay in tempo than to to a flashy one and speed up.
Larry also has incredible instinct and dynamics and is great at accenting. He also has great finness. Take "Blinding lights" for example. During the verses larry is playing 16th note single strokes on his snare drum, but accenting on the 2 and 4 of each measure. Most people just hear the 2 and 4, but if you listen closely you can hear each 16th note in between, being played at precise volume so as not to distract from the beat. It has a wonderful filling effect on the song. Larry also does this on Streets and tons of other songs, sometimes accenting other notes as well.

Having said that, he is sometimes too predictable in my opinion. Also, he often lets his pinky fingers dangle off the drumstick, which is not a correct technique. But once again, he is mostly self taught and he still pulls some sweet grooves. Take "please" for example. It showcases both larry and adam, and the groove they pull off is nothing like any other song I have ever heard. Larry plays triplets in between each measure with a RLL sticking, which is more of a jazz sticking and is less common in rock drummers. For those of you who are interested, Larry plays Paiste Cymbals (which are by far the most expensive), specially designed Pro-mark drumsticks that are comparable to a normal 5a model (smaller than most) and he plays a yamaha kit with an australian made Brady snare drum. He uses Remo Pin stripe drum heads on his rack tom and 2 floor toms and has 2 auxilary cowbells.

As far as Edge goes, some people say he is amazing, and others say he is not. I agree with the former. Edge is somewhat of a "anti" rocker - read his interviews in guitar player magazine and you'll get a good idea of what he likes. He doesn't care for noizy and "self-gratifying" guitar playing, aka Eddie VanHalen and a lot of classic rock. This is one of the reasons why he usually keeps his solos more melodic instead of fast.

What he really enjoys is the specific tones that can be made from a guitar. This is of course what he is amazing at. The Edge can play one chord and you know its him just by the way it sounds. And I'm not talking about Delay here - I'm talking about tone. All of his guitars, and amps are vintage instruments and most of his effects are as well. This is one of the reasons why his tone is so good, he only uses the best equipment. For those of you who are interested here is what I've found out about what he uses:

Guitars:
A lot of vintage strats, telecasters, les pauls, a rickenbacher, and taylor/gibson/breedlove acoustics.

Stomp boxes:
Ibanez TS9 Vintage Tube Screamer
Digitech Whammy
Boss floor tuner (in case he needs it)
Dunlop Cry baby vintage wah
Boss Vintage power driver
Boss vintage compressor sustainer
(non-vintage) line 6 tonecore tap tremolo
Big Muff USA Made
Vintage Dopelganger
And a few others that I haven't been able to identify.

Rack effects:
-Custom made dual line6 distortion modelers (non vintage)
-4 Delay units, 2 used for a long delay, usually a dotted-quarter note and the other 2 used for a short delay, usually a 16th note
-and a butt load of compressors and stuff that i can't identify.

However, all of this equipment won't make you sound like edge. Edge is an extremely rythmically precise guitar player. A lot of guitarists can't pull off all the delay and effects edge uses because they don't play as rythmical as he does. A lot of his playing is kind of "half lead-Half rythm" which is another part of his signature sound.
He uses Herdim picks backwards to have a "grating" effect which partly gives him his chimy sound.
However, all of this isn't to say that edge can't bust out a screaming solo - listen to Bullet on their different tours, especially on the latest tour where he's transformed it into a blues solo, almost with a completely clean tone (ie, no distortion). Edge can be fast when he wants to.

The thing I love most about edge is that he plays music on his guitar, not notes. Thats what he's good at. I would rather listen to the guitar solo in miracle drug 1000 times over instead of Eruption by Van Halen. As short and simple as it may be it still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Edge also has a perfect backing voice, and in fact could be a better lead singer than many bands already have. I definitely don't think Edge would struggle in another band.

A lot of people underestimate the importance Adams playing in the band. Most bands have riffs by the guitar with base chords from the bass guitar, but in many songs, like "mysterious ways," "please", "kite" and countless others Adam is actually playing the riff, with edge on the chords. It gives the song such a unique feel. Adam is a "groove" factory, not a speed or slap factory like flea. He's great at what he does.

As for Bono, he is the greatest front man of all time. He has an incredible range - most people pay attention to how high he sings, but don't forget how low he can sing! what about the first verse to "velvet dress?" ever tried to sing that? Bono is able to sing notes as low as E and even D - equivilent to the lowest string on a Drop-D tuned guitar. Thats Bass territory, not tenor! When Daniel Lanois was receiving a musical award (i forget which) Edge and Bono sang "danny row your boat to shore" (or something like that) that was so low I didn't think it was them until I heard them talk afterwards. As far as Bono's guitar playing goes, the band and their producers joke about trying to not let him play guitar (see HTDAAB DVD) but he really is a very good rythm guitar player. I wish he would play on more songs!

So if you're still reading this I'm impressed because I've written a freaking novel. I apologize, but this is my favorite subject.

Never underestimate how talented U2 really are - music performance is about the music, not the riffs or speed. How do you think U2 has become the greatest band ever? Its their song writing and musicianship thats got them there.

If you're interested, you can check my bands web site out which has 5 songs that I play guitar and drums on (the drummer was out of town.) Edge heavily influence the solo in our song "once again". You might enjoy it. And I don't mean to advertise, I only want to share some U2 influenced music.
doubleudoubleudoubleu-dot-cityofashburn-dot-com
or
cityofashburn on myspace.

Great Post !!!

I agree with all you wrote above !!

:wink:

Specially , I love this part:

Never underestimate how talented U2 really are - music performance is about the music, not the riffs or speed. How do you think U2 has become the greatest band ever? Its their song writing and musicianship thats got them there.

And...

Some people need learn more about U2, before to bash the band with silly and false arguments.

DarkAcrobat said:
Great Post !!!

Some people need learn more about U2, before to bash the band with silly and false arguments.

:rolleyes:

So, just because people have something negative to say about U2's abilities as musicians, they "need to learn more about U2," then? Nice. I suppose owning every U2 album, many audio bootlegs, tonnes of books and live footage from almost every one of their tours makes me very uneducated about U2 as a band.

Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep - she can go to Interference to find them.

Adam's bass teacher would lead me to believe he is far more capable of what he shows. Also, from interviews from Adam I've read and heard, sounds like he would like to play more, different time signatures, not do 4/4 all the time. Bono repeats this in that Michka book. You can' t always do everything you like in a team situation like a band.

He even plays a lot more with his fingers instead of a pick on the prior 3 albums, I mean it could mean he's more comfortable at doing what he does, but the general feeling seems to be, fingerstyle is trickier/a bit harder, than playing bass with a pick.

Pick vs. No pick, is kinda the Pop vs..___ of the bass forums I read at.

Adam isn't the best bassist out there, I know that, he's too modest to even joke about it, but he's not the worst one either. If being "perfect" for your band is a dig, it's not the worst.

Even Edge doesn't bust out 10 minute solos, nor "guitar Olympics" as he put it. If the lead guitarist doesn't do that sort of thing, why would the more low key bass player?

Seems to me, the most known, top tier bass players, are often times the lead singer/songwriter as well. That's gonna change the dynamics of the band somewhat.

Sting is more known than Andy Summers.

Les Claypool, actually I don't know the names of the other members in Primus without googling.

Then again, in ranking lists, even the best bassists are not gonna be as known as the best guitarists. I could be wrong but I think more people know who Jimi Hendrix is than Jaco Pastorius.

"Fitting your band" and "playing to the songs" is not exactly a crime. Looked down at, sure, but it is just an opinion just like saying so and so is mediocre.

Some would say you're not a good musician if you can't read music.

DarkAcrobat said:

And...

First, I'd like to thank GibsonGirl for calling this thread to my attention.

Next, could you please point out the "silly and false arguments"? Since when does having a dissenting opinion mean someone is uninformed?

Really. :|

Back
Top Bottom