Larry's 80's kit setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fly33

The Fly
During the 80s, Larry had a drum to the right of his racked tom (where many drummers put another tom). It looks like a sort of snare, but does anyone know what it was/what it was used for? I assumed it was the snare he used at the beginning of Streets (from PopMart through Vertigo he had a snare mounted there during Streets), but I just watched a video of Streets from 1989, and the beginning snare is to his left. Anyone know what this snare is for?

His kit changed a bit over time.

Might you are referring to the drum to Larry's right in the picture below?

13320-1286557371-size2.jpg

13320-1286488066-size2.jpg

That is a Tito Puente Latin Percussion Timbale. He used two during the Unforgettable Fire tour and one during The Joshua Tree/Love Town tours.

What was it used for? "A Sort of Homecoming". There was also another snare drum farther over to the right. This making the the drum pattern easier to play. Larry plays a 16th note pattern. The accents with the right hand were played on the snare drum. The accents with the left hand were played on the timbale.

During the 80s, Larry had a drum to the right of his racked tom (where many drummers put another tom). It looks like a sort of snare, but does anyone know what it was/what it was used for? I assumed it was the snare he used at the beginning of Streets (from PopMart through Vertigo he had a snare mounted there during Streets), but I just watched a video of Streets from 1989, and the beginning snare is to his left. Anyone know what this snare is for?

The timbale is used at the beginning of Streets, also, if I'm not mistaken.

Actually, that is not correct.

Timbale was only used as part of the "A Sort of Homecoming" drum pattern.

There was a set of two timbale during the 'Unforgettable Fire' tour and one timbale for the 'Joshua Tree' and 'Love Town' tours. He's not used them since.

During the JT and Love Town tours Larry use the tom to his left and later a 2nd snare drum to his left for "...Streets..."

During Popmart, they mounted a Yamaha "Peter Erskine" snare drum next to the rack tom, just for "...Streets...".

Popmart Santiago
YouTube - U2 - Where the streets have no name (Popmart Rotterdam)

Larry used the Erskine snare during Elevation also.

Slane 2001
YouTube - U2 Where The Streets Have No Name Live At Slane Castle

I don't recall him using it on Vertigo or since but I'd have to review the various YouTube clips to confirm that.

Back in the day I believe Larry used an open snare just for Streets on the left of him. Not sure what kind of snare it was though..

These days he uses the Erskine

Love this thread although it's old!

If you look at this version of Streets at Syracuse it's a Ludwig piccolo snare from 70s era (pointy badge).

https://youtu.be/9QBmSkuCMak?t=3m50s

There's a good few seconds here of him whacking it so hard it's bouncing out of it's cradle as well as another long clip earlier in the song. Just as a point in case you're wondering why the snare is bouncing and not held tightly in its cradle, it's advised not to tighten the basket that holds it as it will 'choke' the sound and not allow it to ring true.

I started drumming after watching Larry in A Sort Of Homecoming - the coolest guy playing so studied a lot of his playing over the years. Even played in a U2 tribute band.
I sued to play Streets with the snares 'off' for the first part of the song and then switch them on after the 2nd chorus into 'The city's a flood'. I didn't have a Sam Sullivan to switch snares in and out!

I'm glad someone out there is putting people right about how it's played and the use of the timbale. Bugs the crap out of me watching drummers use a tom instead of the open snare!:cute:

Love this thread although it's old!

If you look at this version of Streets at Syracuse it's a Ludwig piccolo snare from 70s era (pointy badge).

https://youtu.be/9QBmSkuCMak?t=3m50s

There's a good few seconds here of him whacking it so hard it's bouncing out of it's cradle as well as another long clip earlier in the song. Just as a point in case you're wondering why the snare is bouncing and not held tightly in its cradle, it's advised not to tighten the basket that holds it as it will 'choke' the sound and not allow it to ring true.

I started drumming after watching Larry in A Sort Of Homecoming - the coolest guy playing so studied a lot of his playing over the years. Even played in a U2 tribute band.
I sued to play Streets with the snares 'off' for the first part of the song and then switch them on after the 2nd chorus into 'The city's a flood'. I didn't have a Sam Sullivan to switch snares in and out!

I'm glad someone out there is putting people right about how it's played and the use of the timbale. Bugs the crap out of me watching drummers use a tom instead of the open snare!:cute:

Timbale was used for A Sort of Homecoming, not Streets.

ASOH part is basically a 1/16 note pattern with right hand accents on a snare mounts to Larry's right, right of the Timbale, and the left hand accents played on the timbale.

Initially, there were two timbales. One had Larry's set list taped on it and wasn't played. Eventually that spare was removed from the set.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Last edited:
Timbale was used for A Sort of Homecoming, not Streets.

ASOH part is basically a 1/16 note pattern with right hand accents on a snare mounts to Larry's right, right of the Timbale, and the left hand accents played on the timbale.

Initially, there were two timbales. One had Larry's set list taped on it and wasn't played. Eventually that spare was removed from the set.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Yes I know this. ASOH clearly shows the timbale being played. I dont think I was clear enough on my last line there in previous post. I played the snares off for first half of Streets. Then I should've said the correct use of the timbale is for A Sort Of Homecoming.

Yes I know this. ASOH clearly shows the timbale being played. I dont think I was clear enough on my last line there in previous post. I played the snares off for first half of Streets. Then I should've said the correct use of the timbale is for A Sort Of Homecoming.

Floor tom / Second snare (to his right) and timbale are the key ingredients for ASOH drum part

:ohmy:

Yes! aa "snare" is a Military sounding Drum...and there were a lot of WARS!! during the Troubles in Belfast and Beyond :|

Floor tom / Second snare (to his right) and timbale are the key ingredients for ASOH drum part

Just watched an outtake of Rattle And Hum of One Tree Hill (not the official one that didn't make the film) and you can clearly hear the timbale being used on that one too. Always wondered why he'd only have it for one song (ASOH).

Back
Top Bottom