Edge's Strat Pickups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fly33

The Fly
Does anyone know what pickups Edge is using in his Strats? Specifically the Black/White pickguard (the one he used for Bad, Streets, AIWIY during the Elevation Tour, and perhaps the same one he used when he played Streets with Muse). I assumed he only used one B/W one, but I read somewhere recently that he may have multiple ones... I'm not quite up to par with the keys they're using this tour, so it may be because of different tunings...

Anyway, I'm looking to replace the pickups in my Strat, and I want to get some that sound similar. Any thoughts?

Most believe the pups in that Strat are stock greybottoms, and since it's a 70's model, then Fender Custom Shop 69's would get you close. They get stellar reviews anyway. Good luck.

Seems stock pickups in most if not all of the Stratocasters. I've heard that Edge experimented with a few replacements in the 1980's; one article (Musician magazine, Jan 1985) mentioning a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound...

A few guitar magazines from the Vertigo tour mention some guitars having 'custome wound' bridge pickups. Not sure if the stock pickups were re-wound to specs Edge likes or what the entire story is there.

Possible replacements that would get you a good / Edge sounding Stratocaster?

This question was posed at U2 Recording Yahoo Group and some of the Edge fans and Tribute Edge's came up with the following:

• Fender 57/62. (I've heard they are affordable and sound great)
  • Fender Custom Shop 69's.
  • Seymour Duncan "Antiquities
  • Fralin Vintage
  • Kinman Woodstocks

Back
Top Bottom