Will.i.am worked with U2 on new album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... and then in the next paragraph turn around and say the only thing Will should be doing is bringing U2 their coffee and tea and serving them lunch, and THAT'S not supposed to feel racist??
:doh:
Lol, that did sound bad, sorry, just skipped a train station of my train of thought and didn't write the whole thing, I meant that in way that as a musician he's not worthy to be in the same studio as U2.

Again, I apologize.

Back on track, she may have started with nothing, but so did many other
people. No doubt she does her small part for some charity, but she's also
a walking billboard for more brands than I can count.

Holy fuck. First you say that it's racist to think that MJB knows about the struggles of black people (of course she does, she did start from nothing, are you for real?!!) and then in the next paragraph turn around and say the only thing Will should be doing is bringing U2 their coffee and tea and serving them lunch, and THAT'S not supposed to feel racist??

This place gets crazier and crazier.

Agreed.

Ignorance in its most amusing form....and sad one as well.

I don't like the idea of Will.i.am. working with the band (I have nothing against the guy), but U2 scrap the work they did with Rick Rubin, who's supposed to get so much good things from the band..... so, I don't thing is a big deal this "will.i.am. thing"... Eno and Lanois are the capitans of the ship

:doh:
Lol, that did sound bad, sorry, just skipped a train station of my train of thought and didn't write the whole thing, I meant that in way that as a musician he's not worthy to be in the same studio as U2.

Again, I apologize.

Back on track, she may have started with nothing, but so did many other
people. No doubt she does her small part for some charity, but she's also
a walking billboard for more brands than I can count.

You don't need to apologize to me, I'm not black so I have no idea about the struggles of black people (<-note: sarcasm). I think your analogy/comparison to Bono knowing about the plight of a single mother was flawed as well. MJB was black and poor to begin with. So was Oprah. So was Obama. So were many other now-affluent black people. Their accomplishments in no way preclude them from understanding first hand what it is to be black and marginalized by society, nor do their affiliations with sponsors render them less qualified to be legitimate voices for good causes. Your entire argument was and continues to be ridiculous, to be honest.

So he considers a number one more important than his self respect as a vocalist? In this country it was kept off the top spot by Gnarls Barkley's Crazy, who's another vocalist who I would consider as a real RnB singer, and it only got as high as number 2 because it was loved song anyway. Her album only got something like 35 over here. Green Day got to number 2 in the singles chart only because it was a collaboration with U2. Unless they released a truely great song they are unlikely to get high in the UK singles chart unless they collaborated with a big artist. I liked American Idiot until I realized they're lazy undermining tactics. Billie Joe Arstrong? Please I've got pet hamsters with more charisma.

When I was caught something on 4music about diva's it said that she's like Aretha Franklin! She wishes! I heard one of her songs on the radio it took me a bit to recognize who it was. It wasn't until she said "MJB ....." in the song I knew it was her. Aretha has a distinctive voice that you can recognize it's her even if you've never heard that song before. I'm not sure whether you could call it a beautiful voice like Alicia Keys, Whitney or Anita Barker, but like Tina Turner, Patti La Belle and Gladys Knight, it's definetely interesting. Also, because of the fact that she try's to copy Aretha it means she's unoriginal. Whitney never tried to copy Aretha, instead she developed her own singing style. Now we've got scores of Whitney clones (ie: Mariah, Leona Lewis, Ashanti, Jamelia and Alexandra who won the X Factor on Saturday) whose voices' are not as great as Whitney's. Did you know that Mary first turned down Umbrella as did Britney Spears? Well I can see why she would turn it down because by recording that it means she can't do the one thing she enjoys the most, ruining other people's songs. But more importantly it also gives a bit of an insight into what her voice is like, a slightly irritating side of average. Just like Sophie Ellis Baxter and Katie Perry. You may think they've got an interesting quality but listening carefully they are still pop singers. I'm talking about their voices and not there technique.

People who don't even like U2 say how much they like that song, my mum included. When Q magazine asked readers to state their favorite song ever latter that year, the original version of One came in at I think 3 in the top 100. When I was looking at CD's I saw MJB's greatest hits and on the sticker it said includes the hits.... - and it listed 3 of her songs but not One. When I looked at the back it did include One so obviously it's not even considered one of her best songs. People are browsing though a rack of CD's they see Mary J Blige but on the sticker it does not say that it include One, if that's the best thing she's ever done it will have it on the sticker. However all is not lost because ABBA's Gold compilation has a sticker that says it includes your favorite song Dancing Queen. You can't expect someone to look all through the rack, pick up and look at the back of every CD in the whole shop do you? That's why they have these stickers. It's all part of the tricks of the trade involved in marketing.

So he considers a number one more important than his self respect as a vocalist? In this country it was kept off the top spot by Gnarls Barkley's Crazy, who's another vocalist who I would consider as a real RnB singer, and it only got as high as number 2 because it was loved song anyway.

No one said that at all. Sounds like thats what you are trying to say. As for the rest of your rant, you hate MJB - albeit irrationally - we get it. U2 doesn't, I'd go so far as to say Bono probably counts her as a friend. They did a song with her. Get it? Or at least get over it? :wink:

PS - I know alot of people who love and respect those divas you mentioned, including myself. None of them compare MJB to hacks like Britney, and none of them say she's better than the classics. I will say that unless Whitney pulls herself together and comes up with something super brilliant, MJB is kindof 'better' in terms of continuing her success and career. Also, Whitney did not write her biggest hits, and she certainly did pattern her voice after certain other heavyweights (NOT Aretha) but surely you knew all that.

Yes I heard her ruin an Elton John song a few years earlier though yelping and over singing, completely ruining the melody. There's several songs she ruined. Although I don't think she oversang on One (but she did at the Grammies in 2006) she did yelp. You listen to Aretha's stuff. Yeah she improvised but she never oversang. And I don't consider yelping and singing to be the same thing. That's why when people hark on about LoveTown I don't undertand. He's not singing he's shouting, the two should not be confused. Jonny Lydon never sang in his life, he shouted.

Apparantly MJB sings she uses scales. That may go some way to explaining why the two vocals were different in terms of quality as I don't imagine Bono being able to read music. But then most well respected musicians don't know how to read music. The Beatle's didn't and I don't think Elvis did. I go for the quality of the voice itself rather than technique. And I think Bono has a far more distinctive voice MJB anyway. Like I said, her voice is on the slightly more interesting side of average like Rihanna, Britney, Cindi Lauper, Shakira, Rick Astley, Katie Perry, Toni Braxton, Will Young, Pete Burns, Shaggy, Ronan Keating and Robbie Williams. But for a really interesting voice check out Shirley Bassey, now that's what you call a real singer.

As for the production of the song, because they did write and performed on this song I think that they should have had a say in the production. Well maybe they didn't hear it properly on the first listen and by the time they did hear what they did to it, it was too late to stop it without them asking for it to be edited. But as I say, Bono has been showing signs of remorse lately. If this happens for a third time then I will permently lose all respect for him as a vocalist. As George W Bush once said "fool me once, shame on you you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

And Mary will never be as good as Whitney. Not only as she got a truly stunning voice but technically she's much better. I think Mary wanted One to be like what I Will Always Love You was for Whitney and what Without You was for Mariah Carrie. No such luck. Although I don't think Mariah's voice is a beautiful as Whitney I do think that technically she's almost as good as her. But all Marry did with One was belt out her usual obnoxious vocal runs.

You ramble quite a bit, but for the record:

1. MJB does have a distinctive voice which is not perfect in a technical sense, it's what she's known for. Much in the same vein as Bono. In fact, very much like Bono.

2. What part of 'live' is hard to understand about that version of One? Given the fact that it was live, the production is great on it, and I doubt very much that U2 didn't 'have a listen' before it was finalized.

3. Bono has been showing remorse lately? About One?? State facts, please. Back them up.

4. I don't think you really understand what One was. One was not MJB's "I Will Always Love You" attempt, that's a ridiculous assertion.

5. I'm not saying MJB is a better technical singer. It has been noted that Mariah does have more range than Whitney, but I'm not going to argue that because I prefer Whitney anyways. However, I repeat, in terms of success and longevity in her career, MJB has a slight edge, unless, I repeat again, Whitney pulls herself together and comes up with another masterpiece. Rumor has it something like that is in the works, which would be great.

That Gnarles Barkley cover was one of the most unlistenable things I have heard. Although quite a few people would say that about Radiohead as well so it is all a matter of opinion.

You don't need to apologize to me, I'm not black so I have no idea about the struggles of black people (<-note: sarcasm). I think your analogy/comparison to Bono knowing about the plight of a single mother was flawed as well. MJB was black and poor to begin with. So was Oprah. So was Obama. So were many other now-affluent black people. Their accomplishments in no way preclude them from understanding first hand what it is to be black and marginalized by society, nor do their affiliations with sponsors render them less qualified to be legitimate voices for good causes. Your entire argument was and continues to be ridiculous, to be honest.
I didn't apologize just to you.
Warning, sort of rant here, very off topic:
It's not so much wheter they know about it, but what does it mean to them, I mean, we're talking about people who have like 5 houses worth over 5 million each (I'm just thinking of Oprah now), that's not really distribution of wealth now is it? Whatever they do it might never be fair, you can't really understand people who live with $5 each month, have a dying familly and have to walk 3 hours to get drinking water, not even MJB can.
I didn't mean anybody in particular but in general the whole idea seems to me a bit silly, here they are talking about helping and they go and have a multimillion dollar tour, or buy a giant yacht, house on the south of France, wear 100000 dollars worth of jewellery...-end rant
We agree to disagree, fine with me. :wave:

I understand that they mean well and I'm behind that but at the same time I feel it is a bit hipocritical...hell, I don't think I even wanted to
disscuss this, I was talking about the fact that U2 are a far better musicians than will.
MJB, in my opinion didn't bring much to the song, she sang a bit too...estatic...I get a much better energy from U2
when they play live, much more "soul".

Not sure if the Will.I.Am story is true or not. If it yields good music great. If not, not great.

As for things not working with Rubin... U2 are notoriously hard on producers. They wore Chris Thomas out! And they admitted that they wore him down. And Chris Thomas is no slouch!

Chris Thomas' Production credits
Albums produced or mixed by Thomas include:

1988 Live Nude Guitars by ex Stray Cat Brian Setzer

1968: The Climax Chicago Blues Band by Climax Blues Band, White Album by The Beatles
1969: Climax Blues Band Plays On by Climax Blues Band
1970: A Lot of Bottle by Climax Blues Band, Home by Procol Harum
1971: Tightly Knit by Climax Blues Band, Mick Abrahams by Mick Abrahams
1972: At Last by Mick Abrahams Band, Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (mixing)
1973: For Your Pleasure by Roxy Music, Stranded by Roxy Music, Grand Hotel by Procol Harum, Paris 1919 by John Cale, Ass by Badfinger
1974: Badfinger by Badfinger, Wish You Were Here by Badfinger, Kurofune (aka Black Ship) by Sadistic Mika Band.
1975: Siren by Roxy Music
1976: Viva! by Roxy Music, Let's Stick Together by Bryan Ferry
1977: Hurt by Chris Spedding
1977: Never Mind the Bollocks by the Sex Pistols
1978: Power in the Darkness by Tom Robinson Band
1979: Back to the Egg by Wings
1980: Pretenders by The Pretenders, Empty Glass by Pete Townshend
1981: Pretenders II by The Pretenders
1982: All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes by Pete Townshend, Jump Up! by Elton John
1983: Too Low for Zero by Elton John
1984: Learning to Crawl by The Pretenders; Breaking Hearts by Elton John
1985: Listen Like Thieves by INXS, White City by Pete Townshend
1987: Kick by INXS
1988: Reg Strikes Back by Elton John
1989: Sleeping With the Past by Elton John
1990: X by INXS
1992: The One by Elton John
1994: Last of the Independents by The Pretenders, The Lion King soundtrack, Jewel by Marcella Detroit, The Division Bell by Pink Floyd (mixing)
1995: Different Class by Pulp
1996: Filthy Lucre Live by Sex Pistols
1997: The Big Picture by Elton John
1998: This Is Hardcore by Pulp
1999: Run Devil Run by Paul McCartney
2001: Or8? by Hoggboy
2004: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb by U2
2006: On An Island by David Gilmour, Razorlight by Razorlight

I’m glad Rick Rubin was ditched. You can’t argue with his resume, but of late he’s one of the worst in terms of the new trend of mixing everything REALLY REALLY REALLY LOUD. I imagine a Rubin produced album to come out sounding like Atomic Bomb. Too sharp, too loud, too bright.

I was told that MJB uses scales, just like Mariah, Whitney, Anita Baker and Alicia Keys. However they did also note that Mary is not as good as the others. This would explain why the two vocals are very different because if Bono was using he's "ears" to sing the song and for some reason it was recorded on a stage and there was some discrepency's between the recording and what he was hearing. But if she was reading scales that would explain a lot. Plus they were also busy, especially Bono, so by the time they realized what had happened in the production it was too late. If they had noticed it before I'd hope that they would stop it. And yes he has been showing remorse. Example: the phone call early on the year to the Irish radio station, Nelson Mendela's bitrthday message, WOS preview that was put on the internet last year and the Union Chapel gig. Talking about the union Chapel, this reviewer called Jon Earls saw that and he said that it's clear to see that he is a good singer. This is what I mean, once you start slipping into these dirty bone idol habits it gives you a permanent black mark against your name no matter how long you've been going for and it's something I will never forgive him for. He'd be better off performing a song with a REAL RnB singer like Chaka Khan, Lauryn Hill, Macy Gray, Joss Stone, Beverly Knight, Gabriel or Roberta Flak. And Marc Lemmar also stuck he's proverbial boot into him this time last year.

Yeah Mary does have a distinctive voice of sorts, but they are many pop singers that do, just like the ones I mentioned in my previous post. My guide, Donna Sotto Morrietini said that pop music is a huge genre which can mean the difference between listening to Mary J Blige or Britney Spears. What it means that all the early genre's are being presented in "lite" form , like RnB. She also lists Will Young, George Michael, Annie Lennox, Carole King , Mel C and Robbie Williams as pop singers. Just like Mary and Britney, they have distinctive voices of sorts but they don't sound like Macy Gray or Bonnie Tyler. She also said that although Bono, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen all took their styles from various sources but in the end you wouldn't call any of them pop singers. She says that pop singers don't have great voices and their style is more about craft. She is my guide on all things about the voice because she works as a vocal coach at Liverpool's accademy of performing arts so she knows what she's on about.

^ And with that post, I have concluded that you haven't the slightest fucking clue what you are talking about. You don't actually know how MJB sang the song, you probably didn't even watch it, and your alleged instances of remorse on Bono's part have absolutely nothing to do with him performing One w/MJB for the Katrina benefit.

And what is this crap about singing scales? Do you mean sight reading? Do you even know what that technique refers to? Given what I know about MJBs career, I'd be willing to almost bet my last penny that not only did she not start like that, she doesn't sing like that now. I don't even know if she's classically trained, or if she is now she certainly didn't start out that way. And even if that were the case, that would mean that she was on key and Bono was off-key. A completely insane assertion. That is why I said she is very much like Bono in her respective genre, she sings with her ear and lets go. Have you ever read what Chaka Khan has said about her? Now...does Alicia keys sight read? I don't doubt it whatsoever, because she IS classically trained. But I'd be willing to bet she can also just listen to a song and nail it, she's very talented.

Bono and MJB sang it T-O-G-E-T-H-E-R. Live. Many times over during the Vertigo tour. The vocals from the single were also both from a live stage in Toronto, with two singers standing beside each other hearing the same thing, each others voices in their in ear monitors. Bono was not singing to her studio recording or vice versa. The single version was the first time they had done it together on a stage (other than soundcheck practice, obviously), but it clearly wasn't the first time she had heard the song, given her reinterpretation (which, again, would not correlate to her singing from scales), and they actually got in better sync as the tour progressed and she made her occasional appearance.

Your 'guide' needs to get out of the fucking classroom, clearly. MJB is called an RnB singer. Bono is called a rock singer. Both of their songs have become popular and have fallen into the pop category by virtue of volume of sales, not genre per se. How the fuck your 'guide' thinks that Joss Stone and Lauryn Hill are not "pop singers" and are more RnB than MJB is beyond comprehension.

Then again anyone who says that Annie Lennox and Carole King are "pop singers" and then in the next breath says that pop singers don't have great voices (thereby rendering Annie Lennox and Carole King into the category of those without great voices) needs their head checked. And Paul McCartney isn't a "pop singer"? :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was worried about this. I don't have a problem with hip hop influences; after all, The Fly and the start of "Last Night on Earth" (I only like that part) had Bono rapping and it sounded great.

The Black Eyed Peas are pretty lame, though. U2 would be lowering itself to take advice from any of its members.

And what is this crap about singing scales?

I read it to mean the melismas that so many pop/R&B singers use these days.

But to list Joss Stone as a "real" R&B singer over MJB? I know taste is subjective, but just ... no.

I wouldn't mind a little hip-hop influence on this album, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Ain't gonna happen. Trust me. Larry hates it and after passengers and pop he has a lot more influence so to say :wink:

By the way: I keep seeing these images of Bono and Wycleff Jean. My God, did his voice suck there...:rant:

Not to mention the hat. That hat....

^ And with that post, I have concluded that you haven't the slightest fucking clue what you are talking about. You don't actually know how MJB sang the song, you probably didn't even watch it, and your alleged instances of remorse on Bono's part have absolutely nothing to do with him performing One w/MJB for the Katrina benefit.

And what is this crap about singing scales? Do you mean sight reading? Do you even know what that technique refers to? Given what I know about MJBs career, I'd be willing to almost bet my last penny that not only did she not start like that, she doesn't sing like that now. I don't even know if she's classically trained, or if she is now she certainly didn't start out that way. And even if that were the case, that would mean that she was on key and Bono was off-key. A completely insane assertion. That is why I said she is very much like Bono in her respective genre, she sings with her ear and lets go. Have you ever read what Chaka Khan has said about her? Now...does Alicia keys sight read? I don't doubt it whatsoever, because she IS classically trained. But I'd be willing to bet she can also just listen to a song and nail it, she's very talented.

Bono and MJB sang it T-O-G-E-T-H-E-R. Live. Many times over during the Vertigo tour. The vocals from the single were also both from a live stage in Toronto, with two singers standing beside each other hearing the same thing, each others voices in their in ear monitors. Bono was not singing to her studio recording or vice versa. The single version was the first time they had done it together on a stage (other than soundcheck practice, obviously), but it clearly wasn't the first time she had heard the song, given her reinterpretation (which, again, would not correlate to her singing from scales), and they actually got in better sync as the tour progressed and she made her occasional appearance.

Your 'guide' needs to get out of the fucking classroom, clearly. MJB is called an RnB singer. Bono is called a rock singer. Both of their songs have become popular and have fallen into the pop category by virtue of volume of sales, not genre per se. How the fuck your 'guide' thinks that Joss Stone and Lauryn Hill are not "pop singers" and are more RnB than MJB is beyond comprehension.

Then again anyone who says that Annie Lennox and Carole King are "pop singers" and then in the next breath says that pop singers don't have great voices (thereby rendering Annie Lennox and Carole King into the category of those without great voices) needs their head checked. And Paul McCartney isn't a "pop singer"? :lol:

Fucking is for popkids
Making love is rock 'n roll

This ain't the 90's no more

:wave:

That's supposed to be some sort of coherent response to that topic? You're even crazier than Annie :lol:

Finally! I have succeeded in creating chaos where there was order

:rockon:

It was just a small comment on your use(twice) of the word fucking (to emphasize). Not that there is anything wrong with the act itself off course.
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom