Will.i.am worked with U2 on new album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure where you get this info from. He plays more instruments than just keys.

"Songs About Girls" fits right into Will's esthetic of pert, dance-driven, hip-hop R&B. The twist this time is that he stresses a retro brand of frothy '80s synth-pop. One song even pairs him with ELO's Jeff Lynne. Will says he emphasized synthesizers because keyboards are the only instrument he knows how to play. Also, he wanted a cohesive sound, rather than the Peas' scattershot approach.
Megaforce Will.i.am is no longer 'Ordinary People'

Like i've been saying, the albums probably been finished so he's just dropped in for a visit to do some remixes, he probably won't do anything more than that. :|

I hope.

I could so see U2 doing a hip hop thing - Bono in the baggy jeans singing about his bitches, throwing in the occasional "northside" ... and referring to his boys Da Edge, A.C and um, Larry (what?! You trying think up a gansta name for someone called larry!)

I can just see it now, Bono jumping around going: "Yo bitches tell me how it feels, if yeh wanna get with me gotta learn how to kneel, i've got the lines, im always singing bout soul, now let me lyrics take hold of yer heart yo ... big shout out to me boys in da Mun .. northside mofos"

Award for most idiotic post of the week. :up:

I could so see U2 doing a hip hop thing - Bono in the baggy jeans singing about his bitches, throwing in the occasional "northside" ... and referring to his boys Da Edge, A.C and um, Larry (what?! You trying think up a gansta name for someone called larry!)

I can just see it now, Bono jumping around going: "Yo bitches tell me how it feels, if yeh wanna get with me gotta learn how to kneel, i've got the lines, im always singing bout soul, now let me lyrics take hold of yer heart yo ... big shout out to me boys in da Mun .. northside mofos"

You telling me you wouldnt wanna see that? :wink:

:sick:
This is like comparing every rock band to Nickelback.

Gonna have to agree with Irvine here. I have a friend who flat out lists that she hates "black music."
Lest we forget who invented rock and roll in the first place. Even the fucking name, "rock and roll." :rolleyes:

Umm, kids, not all hip hop is rap, and there's also a mountain of rap out there far, far better than 99% of the rubbish you have heard on mainstream radio over the last 20 years. There are some really, truly, fantastic hip hop producers and artists out there who could dovetail perfectly into a lot of what U2 does. It wouldn't have to come across like some Linkin' Park-Jay Z type forced rock-rap merger, or U2 sounding like some Black Eyed Pea-ified catchy pop nuisance.

Umm, kids, not all hip hop is rap, and there's also a mountain of rap out there far, far better than 99% of the rubbish you have heard on mainstream radio over the last 20 years. There are some really, truly, fantastic hip hop producers and artists out there who could dovetail perfectly into a lot of what U2 does. It wouldn't have to come across like some Linkin' Park-Jay Z type forced rock-rap merger, or U2 sounding like some Black Eyed Pea-ified catchy pop nuisance.

:up:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/gnarls-barkley-covers-radioheads-reckoner-live-191387.html

Oh noes! A hip-hop group covering a rock band!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sick:
This is like comparing every rock band to Nickelback.

Gonna have to agree with Irvine here. I have a friend who flat out lists that she hates "black music."
Lest we forget who invented rock and roll in the first place. Even the fucking name, "rock and roll." :rolleyes:

Totally agree.

Hip Hop is NOT the equivalent of "Black Music".

Black Music is more than the MTV hip hop clichés that were mentioned earlier in this thread.

Speaking of Danger Mouse, his stuff with Beck is a pretty good example.

Can you imagine a moody Edge guitar part winding it's way around something like a dark DJ Shadow soundscape, Bono crooning over the top? :drool: I'd love them to do something like that. My fear is certainly not with hip hop or rap, it's entirely because Will.I.Am is pretty shit. Maybe Ashlee Simpson could feature on a track?

Even Timbaland would work (the Chris Cornell stuff sounds good IMO) or Pharrell Williams.
Questlove might be pretty cool. I could probably name a few others.

Will.I.Am is like Puff Daddy and/or (fill in the blank with post-grunge/nu-metal band).

A poor but popular representation of an otherwise good genre.

Held off on commenting on this (hopefully) ridiculous rumour (please god!) until I got to hear some of will.i.am's own output - and basically it's generally terrible, simplistic disposable pop. A few decent moments like the "Yes We Can" video and the rather opportunistic "A New Day" but overall nothing I'd listen to. I get the feeling he's a pretty opportunistic guy actually. In a few interviews he has a major chip on his shoulder about his "genius" not being recognized outside the pop genre and how badly he wants to be an uber-producer for other hip hop artists as well as big rock bands. Who knows, he could be great at it. I doubt it though from what I've heard... Please let this just be a rumour that's gotten out of hand...:ohmy:

Even Timbaland would work (the Chris Cornell stuff sounds good IMO) or Pharrell Williams.
Questlove might be pretty cool. I could probably name a few others.

Will.I.Am is like Puff Daddy and/or (fill in the blank with post-grunge/nu-metal band).

A poor but popular representation of an otherwise good genre.

This I can agree with. I only listen because teh kidz like it, and saw a live performance of BEP which, to be honest, was fun and pretty good. But you and Earnie Shavers are completely right, there is a long list of other "black music" (like, wtf is "black music", Tiger? :wink: ) producers that would compliment U2's style.

Although, for some reason, even though it was U2 playing all the instruments, people still panned the production on the MJB version of One (note- this is not a discussion on her contribution). I have no idea whether said producer was black white or purple, but it did sound a bit more punchy (for lack of a better word off the top of my head), ie, more aimed at a hip hop / pop audience and I liked the production.. :shrug:

U2 is punk rock from Venus for the soul, no? ;)

In a few interviews he has a major chip on his shoulder about his "genius" not being recognized outside the pop genre and how badly he wants to be an uber-producer for other hip hop artists as well as big rock bands.

Hmm. Alot of artists like him find it hard to gain acceptance in the 'hard core' rap community because they aren't 'hard core'. It's an art form, he likes making fluffy hip hop pop with sometimes a tinge of conciousness. I don't really see anything wrong with that, per se. I think Where Is The Love is a great song, for instance...but rap purists would call that soft or whatever :shrug:

Probably somewhat along the lines of how hard rock purists think U2 is completely soft, whereas most of us would probably disagree. (aside from the usual detractors who will undoubtably show up in t-minus, oh, 8 minutes or so :lol: )

Well the BEP had some pleasant moments alright but i'm basing my opinion mainly on his solo stuff which sounds quite weak to me, musically and production wise. And I can appreciate good quality "fluffy" pop when I hear it, it's just that this stuff dosen't strike me as being particularly good either way!

Anyway I suppose I'd just be disturbed at the idea of anyone else coming in at this stage to mess around with whatever U2 have got going on with the new record... I really can't see it happening. I suppose the remix idea or maybe input on the Spiderman musical could be possibilities but all we can do is wait and see eh?!

(like, wtf is "black music", Tiger? :wink: )

Like 99% of all music, pretty much. I think we'd all be listening to lutes and pan pipes were it not for gospel hymns/slave songs in the 19th century.

At least that's what I was taught. :wink:

Originally Posted by LittleBono

Well they tried it with MJB so this will be them further trying to break themselves into the chav market. Only chavs like that song and only they like pop(fake R n B) and mysoginistic hip hop. I don't have chavy friends but my nieghbours played nonstop fake R 'n' B until 3 am on Sunday and past midnight last night, and they are chavs. I say fake R'NB because it is. Donna Sotto Morrietini said so. The only real RNB stars I can recall that are out there at the moment are Alicia Keys, Joss Stone, Beverly Kight, Adele, Duffy, John Legend and some of Christina Aguilira's and Leona Lewis' stuff. Because they have great voices and everyone else just sounds ordinary. The music in not even real RnB. If you listen to real RnB music by people like Jools Holland or Duffy, that's what real RnB sounds like. Umbrella is a pop song, Beyonce is a pop singer.

In my house we have a term for this so called bland RnB, Rubbish n Boring.

Award for most idiotic post of the week. :up:

Oh, I wanted that!:sad:

Sounds so reminiscent of the parents of teens in 1950's. "Those kids with that loud music and their overtly sexual dancing!! Why can't they pick up a nice Perry Como record instead and come home before 9 p.m. at night!?

GET OFF MY LAWN!"

cookiemonsterxo1.gif

Sounds so reminiscent of the parents of teens in 1950's. "Those kids with that loud music and their overtly sexual dancing!! Why can't they pick up a nice Perry Como record instead and come home before 9 p.m. at night!?

GET OFF MY LAWN!"

cookiemonsterxo1.gif

shotgun.jpg

Well they tried it with MJB so this will be them further trying to break themselves into the chav market. Only chavs like that song and only they like pop(fake R n B) and mysoginistic hip hop.

Oh, I wanted that!:sad:

Well, if you're assertion is that U2 did One, probably their most cherished song, wMJB to 'break into the chav market', here's the trophy!

Only 'chavs' like One wMJB?

Man I love this place.

Back
Top Bottom