NLOTH - Hybrid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adh1542

The Fly
Does anyone have a mix of NLOTH and Version 2? I think if you could combine the strong points of each song, it could be KILLER.

Anyone?

I posted what a remix should be like in the NLOTH1vsNLOTH2 thread:

We need NLOTH 3 which should be based on 2 (keeping the chorus etc), but have the 'time is irrelevant...' line from 1, replacing the scat singing in 2.

And it should have more variation in the verses like 1 has, but they should keep 2's chorus and the 'no... line!' chant at the end, but add to that 1's quirky keyboard outro.

This sounds promising. In fact I listened to NLOTH2 again for the first time since its release and didn't realise how much quicker the tempo of the song was. Bring on NLOTH3

I agree on that point. The album version if fitting for the foundations of the album's atmosphere. As a stand alone single, things would be different.

Yeah, the album version is definitely better within the context of the album, but maybe cleaned up a bit with some parts of Version 2.

NLOTH is way better than 2 IMO. 2 sounds like a cheesy remix to me.

Err, no. Unless you want to go to sleep. The chorus and ending (before the guitar outro) in 1 are boring as batshit, no hook, Bono sounds bored and out of breath.

The choruses in NLOTH2 are much better, have much more energy and have a stronger rhythm. And the No Line outro is much more interesting than the 'identical to all the other choruses' ending in 1.

The only problems with NLOTH2 are that it gets a bit repetitive and has that scat singing bit in the middle instead of the "time is irrelevant' line.

Err, no. Unless you want to go to sleep. The chorus and ending (before the guitar outro) in 1 are boring as batshit, no hook, Bono sounds bored and out of breath.

The choruses in NLOTH2 are much better, have much more energy and have a stronger rhythm. And the No Line outro is much more interesting than the 'identical to all the other choruses' ending in 1.

The only problems with NLOTH2 are that it gets a bit repetitive and has that scat singing bit in the middle instead of the "time is irrelevant' line.

The album version is better, imo. It's all about the buildup and the atmosphere. The intensity is palpable from the beginning and it just gets racketed up more and more as the song goes along. And the last chorus is not exactly identical to all the other choruses, since there's a second vocal an octave higher added in, which only adds to said intensity. The whole thing is about creating this thick, palpable atmosphere, like you're entering another world. It's in my top 3 tracks on the album and my top 4 U2 album openers(with Where The Streets Have No Name, Zoo Station, and Zooropa).

The album version is better, imo. It's all about the buildup and the atmosphere. The intensity is palpable from the beginning and it just gets racketed up more and more as the song goes along. And the last chorus is not exactly identical to all the other choruses, since there's a second vocal an octave higher added in, which only adds to said intensity. The whole thing is about creating this thick, palpable atmosphere, like you're entering another world. It's in my top 3 tracks on the album and my top 4 U2 album openers(with Where The Streets Have No Name, Zoo Station, and Zooropa).

Well, NLOTH2 is definitely more of a plateau (similar to Being Born), but any buildup in NLOTH1's verses is hampered by its lackluster chorus.

The thumping bass line from 2 is also missing.

But again, that's why they need to do a NLOTH3 or 1.5 with the buildup and full third verse from 1, partnered with the more energetic vocals, better chorus and outro chanting from 2.

Couldn't have said it better myself. NLOTH1 has a thick, distinct vibe about it. It entrances the listener. It sounds ominous. Basically, it's the perfect opener for the album. It takes a solid set of lyrics and manages to give them resonance by placing them in a wholly appropriate context (a seemingly infinite swell of ambient noise), but instead of being content with hypnotic, the band gives the song the right dynamics and rhythm, so not only is it a unique sonic experience, but it's a damn fine pop song at well.

There are pieces of NLOTH2 that are extremely enjoyable, but note for note? Not even fucking close. One is a rollercoaster ride, the other a ho-hum take on a good song. :shrug:

Couldn't have said it better myself. NLOTH1 has a thick, distinct vibe about it. It entrances the listener. It sounds ominous. Basically, it's the perfect opener for the album. It takes a solid set of lyrics and manages to give them resonance by placing them in a wholly appropriate context (a seemingly infinite swell of ambient noise), but instead of being content with hypnotic, the band gives the song the right dynamics and rhythm, so not only is it a unique sonic experience, but it's a damn fine pop song at well.

There are pieces of NLOTH2 that are extremely enjoyable, but note for note? Not even fucking close. One is a rollercoaster ride, the other a ho-hum take on a good song. :shrug:

i agree with you and namkcuR. it's weird, for some reason when i first heard the album, i skipped NLOTH a lot, but now i seem to always want to hear this song. and the album version is just wonderful. so atmospheric....

Back
Top Bottom