Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2021, 05:55 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
4. Edge saying he's having fun working on songs because there are no expectations or limitations. Could that mean more "outside the box" stuff. Hopefully.
Edge has said this several different times over the years. It's almost like his go to canned response when asked about recording/studio progress.

The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:05 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Edge has said this several different times over the years. It's almost like his go to canned response when asked about recording/studio progress.
Yeah, that is true. That probably is how it starts most of the time, before they all get together, and there is a more purposeful direction.

womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:22 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Of the three who talk, I kinda only believe Adam as he seems least prone to buzzphrase bullshit.
DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #24
The Fly

A 30th anniversary Zoo TV tour just wouldn't work.

It wouldn’t be sincere or convincing. I just can’t reconcile the band who did that with the bollocks housewife music or cringe dad rock they release these days.

It’s fine not to go back to that daring style at this stage in their career anyway, but surely it’s not too much to ask for something mature, grown up and reflective from them?

They’ve gone from a band with interesting musical palette to something downright immature and pathetic. But not surprising from a band whose members hire Madonna’s manager, get pretty boy industry songwriters to help them write songs, all the while losing their sense of soul, spirit and imagination by getting sucked into the material world, whether it be Edge’s money grabbing, environmentally destructive property plans in a plastic soulless Malibu estate or Bono’s attempts to befriend every celebrity known to earth.

For a band that were so ethereal and spiritual with limitless imagination, it’s not difficult to find out the reasons why these immaterial qualities have been sucked from them.

They should be like Radiohead, still creating great artsy records. Instead they’re prancing about and making shite music like that joker Bon Jovi.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVaul View Post
Of the three who talk
This seriously made me LOL
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:44 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I would love for Adam and Edge to try and find the best riffs they could possibly dream of at this stage.

U2 has always relied on strong guitar or bass riffs to drive their songs. Especially their popular ones. Of course Bono gets a lot of attention but we all seem to agree that Edge hasn’t come up with anything memorable since Vertigo (Boots had a riff but never seemed to stick)

Getting Adam involved i think is great this early. My perception was he and Larry basically live their lives and only show up to studio to record the parts Edge thought of
BEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:28 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

I would like them to not be like Bon Jovi, but I sure as shit wouldn't want them to be like Radiohead, either.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:39 PM   #28
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:54 AM
You mean you don't want them to once again make brilliant, highly original, hook filled rock music that makes no effort to fit in with the pop charts?
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:42 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:54 AM
You’re not saying Radiohead does that are you? They haven’t done that in 24 years.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:03 PM   #30
New Yorker

I'm saying that every radiohead album is filled with hooks, is original, and is a rock album. And that they make no effort to fit in. U2 were good role models for them, now they're a good role model for U2. Unfortunately, U2 want to be Coldplay.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life

Calling any of their post OK Computer records “rock” is an incredible stretch. Saying they’re filled with hooks is also an incredible stretch.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:07 AM   #32
Babyface

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Here's my $0.02:

After 32 years as a U2 fan, I feel like I have a sense of how their PR machine works. Rolling Stone magazine is their unofficial press release/puff piece dumpster. The Zoo TV revisit was mentioned in the subheader. The article was pushed to my phone today via Google News. The idea had already been pronounced dead in this forum and others, and U2 must have known that.

The only way they can top the energy level of the JT30 opening is Zoo Station with a nostalgic video intro. They will tweak it with subtle state-of-the-art touches (VR? Holograms?) to make it up-to-date and not lame. As consummate showmen they are going to try to jump over the high bar and pull this off. It will be part of the megatrend of GenX stepping into the senior role in society and U2 has always craved being a part of those key moments (Super Bowl, anyone?) Again, this is me extrapolating from the last 32 years. They have now put themselves in a position where they have to throw cold water on the idea if they can't or decide not to.

Larry is 60 and his body is the band's most precious resource at this point. I believe they have a 5- to 7-year window of Larry at full rock drumming power. After that, they will have to make accommodations somehow. They need to maximize this time. Do the acoustic stuff afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking at ways to get back into US stadiums in 2022, before a new album cycle, even if more towards the fall.

The timing of the news drop for the Thanksgiving week holiday rollout portends, to me, the beginning of a cycle of activity--if only the start of a "timer" in the audience's mind counting down to forthcoming escalation.
mikemiller48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:28 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemiller48 View Post
Here's my $0.02:

After 32 years as a U2 fan, I feel like I have a sense of how their PR machine works. Rolling Stone magazine is their unofficial press release/puff piece dumpster. The Zoo TV revisit was mentioned in the subheader. The article was pushed to my phone today via Google News. The idea had already been pronounced dead in this forum and others, and U2 must have known that.

The only way they can top the energy level of the JT30 opening is Zoo Station with a nostalgic video intro. They will tweak it with subtle state-of-the-art touches (VR? Holograms?) to make it up-to-date and not lame. As consummate showmen they are going to try to jump over the high bar and pull this off. It will be part of the megatrend of GenX stepping into the senior role in society and U2 has always craved being a part of those key moments (Super Bowl, anyone?) Again, this is me extrapolating from the last 32 years. They have now put themselves in a position where they have to throw cold water on the idea if they can't or decide not to.

Larry is 60 and his body is the band's most precious resource at this point. I believe they have a 5- to 7-year window of Larry at full rock drumming power. After that, they will have to make accommodations somehow. They need to maximize this time. Do the acoustic stuff afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking at ways to get back into US stadiums in 2022, before a new album cycle, even if more towards the fall.

The timing of the news drop for the Thanksgiving week holiday rollout portends, to me, the beginning of a cycle of activity--if only the start of a "timer" in the audience's mind counting down to forthcoming escalation.

I think there’s a lot in here that’s really smart.

JT Tour was wildly successful, beyond what they say they expected. While I don’t think Zoo TV has quite the pull of JT — even if, IMO it’s the stronger achievement, ans AB the better album — because it’s much more accessible to buy an album or hear songs on the radio than it was to have attended Zoo TV in ‘92-‘93, they may want to capture the commercial and, yes, critical success that JT did.

I agree that something is starting. However, I think the 2022 calendar may be full.

The upside about Larry and his body is that, of the four of them, he’s the youngest and most health conscious.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:18 AM   #34
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Calling any of their post OK Computer records “rock” is an incredible stretch. Saying they’re filled with hooks is also an incredible stretch.
That describes In Rainbows pretty well, actually.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:48 AM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I would like them to not be like Bon Jovi, but I sure as shit wouldn't want them to be like Radiohead, either.
Exactly, and you can add Coldplay to that list as well.
super fly guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:08 AM   #36
Refugee

Stuff like "revisiting" a tour is more step towards semi-retirement and becoming the U2 Greatest Hits act like The Stones have become. The JT tour came about during some unique circumstances and also benefited from being an album which didn't have the benefits of the massive screen technology we have now. The themes of the album also really suited the screen and the scale.

An AB-themed tour? Possibly, but I don't know how they do that without it being a pale imitation of everything that made the original Zoo TV tour so special.

As Edge said, we're now living in an entirely different world where the reliance-on and influence-of tech, rolling news, the meta verse, social media etc is probably on a whole different level to what they could even have imagined when they came up with Zoo TV. So maybe there's an angle there for a new tour, but they'd have to come up with a new way of saying much of what's been done by other artists over the last 10-15 years.
ascender_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:57 AM   #37
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Their albums are all based around bass-drums-guitar, there are always multiple uptempo, riff based songs (even Kid A!) and nearly every song they've ever done adheres to the verse-chorus-verse formula. They're a rock band who make rock albums. The songs are all based on hooks, too.

They're not a meat & potatoes rock band but they're definitely a rock band. Always have been.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
You mean you don't want them to once again make brilliant, highly original, hook filled rock music that makes no effort to fit in with the pop charts?
this might be a surprise, so maybe sit down - but not everybody likes Radiohead and/or thinks what they do is "brilliant"
Old 11-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

I agree that something is starting. However, I think the 2022 calendar may be full.
For arenas? Yes - it's tight. U2 will always be box office so if they really want to hit the road and do arenas? People will make room for them.

But stadium shows - there's only a handful of acts that full stadiums, and a U2 Zoo TV show is one of them.

By my count right now it's RHCP, the Motley Crew/Def Leppord/80s rock shitfest, Kenny Chesney and Rammstein, Coldplay, Elton John.

T-Swizzle can fill stadiums but the talk now is that she'll do arenas. Outside of that - who is left that can fill a stadium? BTS, Beyonce, Garth Brooks, Metallica, U2. That's about the list.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #40
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
For arenas? Yes - it's tight. U2 will always be box office so if they really want to hit the road and do arenas? People will make room for them.

But stadium shows - there's only a handful of acts that full stadiums, and a U2 Zoo TV show is one of them.

By my count right now it's RHCP, the Motley Crew/Def Leppord/80s rock shitfest, Kenny Chesney and Rammstein, Coldplay, Elton John.

T-Swizzle can fill stadiums but the talk now is that she'll do arenas. Outside of that - who is left that can fill a stadium? BTS, Beyonce, Garth Brooks, Metallica, U2. That's about the list.

The Crue/Lep is a package tour, so I wouldn’t even count it. I was surprised by the sales in RHCP bc the pricing is ridiculous. Good for them I guess?

Two more acts to note: Springsteen stadium tour feels inevitable. Macca probably has one more go ‘round left in him.

DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote