Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe it'll be album tracks and b sides that they think they could do better:

I Fall Down (already has piano)
Stranger in a Strange Land (topical)
The Refugee (topical)
Drowning Man
Surrender
Red Light
Promemade
Elvis & America
Deep in the Heart
Spanish Eyes
A Sort of Homecoming

Stuff like that. Strained vocals, odd production, unfinished lyrics...some of those would be cool if they had more piano/strings/acoustic instruments/different arrangements

Last edited:
Maybe it'll be album tracks and b sides that they think they could do better:

I Fall Down (already has piano)
Stranger in a Strange Land (topical)
The Refugee (topical)
Drowning Man
Surrender
Red Light
Promemade
Elvis & America
Deep in the Heart
Spanish Eyes
A Sort of Homecoming

Stuff like that. Strained vocals, odd production, unfinished lyrics...some of those would be cool if they had more piano/strings/acoustic instruments/different arrangements

I’d love to hear a revamped promenade as long as it still has atmosphere similar to the original.

Omicron is making touring next-to-impossible in 2022. Adele couldn’t get her Vegas show together. Taylor just released all her folks.

If the recent performance of RTSS is anything to go by, the reworked songs thing could turn out to be great. Interesting to marry up Bono’s vocal style in that performance with his recent comments about not liking his prior vocals. I thought the subtle and low key vocal style in that RTSS performance was brilliant. No straining and no reaching for the high notes. Hopefully more of this to come.

Omicron is making touring next-to-impossible in 2022. Adele couldn’t get her Vegas show together. Taylor just released all her folks.

By mid March, we’ll declare victory over Covid again and that will last until around November. Then another variant that’s even more contagious and less deadly will come out. Maybe by next fall we’ll finally treat it like seasonal flu since it’s getting closer to that already.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...8326.html?ncid=twitter_yahooenter_qb2vkwfmnkw
There probably aren’t any Zoo TV anniversary tours in the offing? Or even a new-album tour?

Edge: Well, we finished a cycle of touring at the end of 2019. And so, beginning of the pandemic, we were doing exactly what we were planning to do, which was kind of all go off separately to start the early stages of working on music for the next U2 record, which we’ve continued to do. So as I say to people, I knew we had good management. I just didn’t know they were quite that good, to plan it all so perfectly for us. So we’re in a great position where we have a lot of new material. We’re not sure what we’re going to do yet, but it’s just been a wonderful creative time for us.

Bono: It was my fault — blame it on me or give me some credit for the “Joshua Tree” tour, the retreading of that, because I wanted to honor the album. And I thought it’d be like a couple of months and do it, just really make sure, because people forget. And it’s a shame not to be able to do it with… I don’t even know if we would have done it, but you can’t now, for “Achtung Baby” [which had its 30th anniversary last year], because it is an incredible album. When did we put out “All That You Can’t Leave Behind”?

It was 2000.

Bono: Yeah, we missed that one, too [for a 20th anniversary tour]. But I’m for people doing those album-type tours. I think it’s something you did and you should take it around as a retrospective. But we did a lot of it. We had so much fun, we didn’t know when to get off that wheel. And we ended up doing four different tours in four years (between the “Joshua Tree” and “Songs of Innocence/Experience” outings). We played more shows in the last five years before we broke than the previous 15.

Would be nice to get an official video JT30 tour release sometime boys! :). + Bono’s autobiography? Plenty of stuff to release this year with those and a potential re-worked album of songs late this year.

I’m guessing When I Look at the World will be on the reworked songs album, given that Bono makes a point of highlighting it in that interview

I’m just worried we’re going to get a bunch of Bono’s low register whisper-singing, like the You’re The Best Thing About Me acoustic version.

That’s not my favorite Bono.

I think it makes big productions unwise in 2022. I realize U2 is very much in that category, so I’d be really surprised if we saw anything live from them this year. But for theatre and even shed sized bands who aren’t trying to pay 100 salaries on the road, I think there’s still a viable year of live music ahead. I’m very excited for the Decemberists tour.

They should do some festival shows. No narrative. No U2 specific staging. Just play some songs. Didn’t go so well last time. That’d be a challenge for them. If the album of re-arranged songs needs promotion then this would be a good way to do it.

Good point. It was a random idea really. But they could play a best of set, with mostly the conventional arrangements with a couple of the newer arrangements thrown in.

I love the optimism of getting a hunk of rarities, b-sides, lesser known songs re-done for this semi acoustic release, but I just think this is an attempt to get them back into the spot light in a subtle way with songs everyone knows and showing everyone hey Bono is kind of old, he sings differently now, but he’s still great!

Who knows though, maybe we will get lucky with a super deluxe vinyl with Is That All? (Full band, produced by Brian Eno)[emoji23]

Always exciting for new material. You’d figure with the extended down time with Covid they’ve tinkered a ton already and we won’t have to wait much longer (unless a producer we all dislike is willing to travel again to be in studio and they decide to re record)

They should do some festival shows. No narrative. No U2 specific staging. Just play some songs. Didn’t go so well last time.

It's fair to criticize the Glastonbury show, but not sure why you're disallowing their Bonaroo performance just because it had the JT anniversary "narrative". That performance was well-received, played to a lot of casual fans and newbies and at least opened with "some songs" before the main course.

This has *moments* that are good and moments that are just bad.

I don’t understand who this is for. It’s not a version diehards haven’t heard before - they’ve done a variation on this a bunch of times by now, and better. It’s certainly not going to make any casual fans or new listeners interested. It’s just odd.

This has *moments* that are good and moments that are just bad.

I don’t understand who this is for. It’s not a version diehards haven’t heard before - they’ve done a variation on this a bunch of times by now, and better. It’s certainly not going to make any casual fans or new listeners interested. It’s just odd.
50th anniversary of bloody Sunday.

Yea, not great. I commented elsewhere that I like these shabby performances though. Like, I'm surprised that they decided to upload this performance, but whether it was one-and-done or this is what they picked from multiple takes I love how they were like, "Fuck it. That's the one."

Not a heartening teaser or peak for this re-recorded album, if it's at all intended to be an early one.

Back
Top Bottom