New Album Discussion 9 - Larry needs new arms, ba rum pa pum pum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I received a letter from the Edge this morning but it's different than what U2Songs posted. Mine just says the following:

"Dear Mike,

I've noticed you've been playing guitar a lot lately and I think that's cool.

- The Edge"

Oh cool, looks like an announcement this week.

I wonder if we'll get the single on Friday? And if it'll be Streets or Moment of Surrender? :hmm:

They might even do something similar to SoE, where they announced the album with a live video of the Blackout, but used The Best Thing as the lead single a week or two later.

I wonder if we'll get something similar - a song/music video this week with the announcement, then a lead single later on, hence why more than one song has been sent to radio DJs.

I wonder how redone Moment Of Surrender is. I think whichever one they choose needs to be a mix of familiarity and a high level of difference from the original. Where MOS lacks is familiarity. Maybe 10 years ago I'd say there's a hunger in the general public for new U2 where some people would think MOS is new U2 and get excited about it. But not today.

I'd say go with Streets or With Or Without You and then maybe follow it up with a lesser known song.

I wonder how redone Moment Of Surrender is. I think whichever one they choose needs to be a mix of familiarity and a high level of difference from the original. Where MOS lacks is familiarity. Maybe 10 years ago I'd say there's a hunger in the general public for new U2 where some people would think MOS is new U2 and get excited about it. But not today.

I'd say go with Streets or With Or Without You and then maybe follow it up with a lesser known song.

wanna fight?

it should absolutely be Moment of Surrender. lead with a missed opportunity that the hardcore fans know but most casuals don't, vs. a reinterpretation of a song that most people, casuals, non fans and hardcore fans alike, know at this point.

Bono even said recently that he regrets not making Moment of Surrender the lead single for NLOTH, so i reckon there's a decent possibility they may right that wrong with SoS.

As cool as it would be though, I'm surprised that MoS has been sent out to radio stations. I would've thought Streets would be the more appropriate single for commercial reasons (as it's one general audiences/casual fans know).

That's why I reckon they'll put out both around the same time, maybe MoS as the announcement single, then Streets as the more commercial, radio friendly lead single.

Bono even said recently that he regrets not making Moment of Surrender the lead single for NLOTH, so i reckon there's a decent possibility they may right that wrong with SoS.

As cool as it would be though, I'm surprised that MoS has been sent out to radio stations. I would've thought Streets would be the more appropriate single for commercial reasons (as it's one general audiences/casual fans know).

That's why I reckon they'll put out both around the same time, maybe MoS as the announcement single, then Streets as the more commercial, radio friendly lead single.

Wait, MOS has been sent out to radio?

Wait, MOS has been sent out to radio?

Sorry my mistake, I confused things - MoS and Streets have apparently been sent to DJs for remixes for radio play (not sent directly to radio stations!)

However with a suspected album announcement this week I'd be surprised if we didn't hear one on the radio by Friday.

I'm of two minds with what should be the first song to represent the album. Part of me thinks that it should be something less known because who really wants to hear a remake by 60 year olds, of a 30 year+ old song that they're already are familiar with?

Then I also see this point, where if it is an almost completely unknown song to the general public, and just seems like a new song, will anyone care?

So I guess for the most part, I would think this album is one that really is for the long-time fans. I don't see it sparking a ton of interest among those who aren't already somewhat fans of the band. I do think it will get some play on rock/classic rock stations who already play a few selected songs from them, possibly some independent radio stations as well.

Yea this is aimed at adult, triple a, adult contemporary type stations...

I don't think they'll have any issue getting the first song played on these stations, even if it's a more obscure song like Moment of Surrender.

Especially if it's good.

Think more along the lines here of Sweetest Thing being released as a remade song for the first greatest hits album.

A song that is new to most, even if not technically new, will have a greater shot at staying power than a familiar song that is redone - Elton John's recent success not withstanding.

The lead single will be Get Out of Your Own Way followed by Ukrainian Soul

Last edited:
I'm of two minds with what should be the first song to represent the album. Part of me thinks that it should be something less known because who really wants to hear a remake by 60 year olds, of a 30 year+ old song that they're already are familiar with?

Then I also see this point, where if it is an almost completely unknown song to the general public, and just seems like a new song, will anyone care?

So I guess for the most part, I would think this album is one that really is for the long-time fans. I don't see it sparking a ton of interest among those who aren't already somewhat fans of the band. I do think it will get some play on rock/classic rock stations who already play a few selected songs from them, possibly some independent radio stations as well.

This is where I sit with it. It's an album for the fans; and not even all of them, as we've seen with so many "I don't want this" comments already. I think they know this and promotion will be centered around that philosophy.

HOWEVER, here's a band that always has that itch to be on top and they have no other major releases lined up around this. It's probably been a struggle to keep that little voice saying "Just use the song that's beloved already to get as much attention as you can" down. We'll find out soon which voice wins.

I can't help but wonder if both have been sent out and it'll be a last-minute judgment call that we hear stories about later down the road.

Seems supremely feckin’ obvious to me…

Surrender
Songs of Surrender
Moment of Surrender

I know they’re dumb, but c’mon.

I received a letter!

It’s a cease and desist letter from the band. They don’t like my “fan fic”

it should absolutely be Moment of Surrender. lead with a missed opportunity that the hardcore fans know but most casuals don't, vs. a reinterpretation of a song that most people, casuals, non fans and hardcore fans alike, know at this point.
I hope they lead with MoS played to the tune of Get on Your Boots just to watch all hell break loose.

Anyone notice that on Spotify, there is morse code on screen in the background of only the songs that appear on SOS, instead of the typical image/video that plays? It also flashes S.O.S.

Not mind blowing stuff, but kind of neat and ties to Edge's letter which spelled out Songs of Surrender in morse code at the top.

Last edited:
Anyone notice that on Spotify, there is morse code on screen in the background of only the songs that appear on SOS, instead of the typical image/video that plays? It also flashes S.O.S.

Not mind blowing stuff, but kind of neat and ties to Edge's letter which spelled out Songs of Surrender in morse code at the top.

That would mean Walk On and 40 made the cut.

Yep

Not all 40 chapter titles have morse code.
But there are 40 songs that do

See Dirty Day, Peace on Earth..

Note: Moment of Surrender does not

From the Surrender 40 Songs, One Playlist, uh, Playlist

Songs of Home - Yes
Out of Control - Yes
Iris - No - drawing
Cedarwood Road - Yes
Stories For Boys - Yes
Songs For Someone - Yes
I Will Follow - Yes
11 O'Clock Tick Tock - Yes