New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really surprised they are going to play without Larry

Agree. It’s not U2 without Larry. I know this is never going to be agreeable but this kinda cheapens the whole experience for me. Their albums and appearances have geared towards it being the B&E show since SOI and this strengthens that direction

Agree. It’s not U2 without Larry. I know this is never going to be agreeable but this kinda cheapens the whole experience for me. Their albums and appearances have geared towards it being the B&E show since SOI and this strengthens that direction

Larry is on the cover of SOI

Well good for Larry deciding for himself he needs to put his health first. Bono and edge’s ego’s (and wallets) couldn’t help themselves with having to be the first “band” to open this place I guess. Hopefully it’s not for good with Larry.

Well good for Larry deciding for himself he needs to put his health first. Bono and edge’s ego’s (and wallets) couldn’t help themselves with having to be the first “band” to open this place I guess. Hopefully it’s not for good with Larry.
Do you honestly believe that Larry couldn't have vetoed this if he wasn't okay with it?

Do you honestly believe that Larry couldn't have vetoed this if he wasn't okay with it?

Exactly.

I've already seen two posts on social media from people saying they've been told by someone reliable that this is a permanent thing and that Larry's leaving the band. What is it about social media that makes people do this sort of nonsense?

Pretty gutted to hear Larry will miss this, but I don't blame the band for wanting to take the opportunity to do these shows while they had the chance. And I'm sure these performances will still be amazing.

On another note, I feel relieved that SoS doesn't seem to relate to these shows at all. Regardless of the quality, having the first live appearance of the band in 4 years - at a state of the art venue no less - revolve around acoustic covers would have been so disappointing.

Lol the negative reactions to this and the SOS album on some of the Facebook groups is hilarious. It’s like U2 committed a worse crime than adding a free album to everyone’s iPhones lol. I’ve never seen so many whiners all in one place!

I dont think Larry would veto anything. Doesn't seem his style. I imagine it was more "I wont tour this year. Do what you want."

Also, remember this piece?

He’s blunt — he says if the band plays live in 2023 it will probably be without him, as he needs surgery to continue playing — and admits the dynamics in the band are not the same as they were decades ago. As the ’80s wore on and U2’s stature grew, band decisions would be made by what they called the “Politburo,” named after the policymaking committees in most communist systems. In Mullen’s view, the system that served the band well for so long has now become more of a benevolent dictatorship.

“You only do this if you’re having the best time,” Mullen says. “And not everyone is going to make it because the price is so high. So I think the challenge is for more generosity. More openness to the process. I am autonomous and I value my autonomy. I don’t sing from the same hymn sheet. I don’t pray to the same version of God. So everyone has their limits. And you only do this if it is a great time you’re having, you know?”

“My body is not what it used to be physically. Like next year, I won’t be performing live next year. I don’t know what the band’s plan is. There’s talk of all kinds of things."

It seems he was letting us in on a lot. Implying that U2 decisions aren't really 4-man band decisions.

Anyway, the shows will probably be fun, cool, etc. I'm sure the rest of the band are really excited about the technology, etc.

I assume there's more to the story. Whatever the story may be, I'm disappointed.

Last edited:
Exactly.

I've already seen two posts on social media from people saying they've been told by someone reliable that this is a permanent thing and that Larry's leaving the band. What is it about social media that makes people do this sort of nonsense?

what's crazy is that the whole line in the lead up to this announcement was that Larry WAS on board - maybe in a diminished role - but that he'd be there, his doctors are near by (in LA) and the shortened run of shows was to help his recovery. oh, and that everything was going to be SOS based with a nod to Achtung Baby.

and... most of that turned out to be wrong.

obviously U2Songs is the guy with the most egg on his face because he was the most public about it - but i heard the exact same things from people i trust and who have never steered me wrong previously.

so it seems like they kept this VERY close to the vest - to the point where they were running misdirection on the fans who were invited to this commercial shoot in Columbia.

side note - there were a handful of other "known" fans who were also invited to participate who could not make it for various reasons. which is a pretty cool thing in that the band did this, to be honest.

yes - there are some on social in the usual circles who are complaining that EHRMAGAD THE SAME FANS THERE ARE OTHER FANS U2 NOT JUST THEM... which, ugh, get over it.

the band picked a bunch of hardcore fans from around the globe and put them into a very expensive, nationally broadcast super bowl commercial. that's a pretty cool thing for them to have done.

I just don't know why people care that much. It's a band in their 60's. These scenarios were absolutely bound to present themselves. If this happened 20 years ago, completely different story.

I mentioned this last night in a less classy way, but I'm at the point where seeing U2 isn't a priority anymore and I'd rather go see younger bands that have more energy. They're old, not anything close to what they were in concert 20-30 years ago. 2015, they were still good, but already showing signs of age when it came to their stage presence. And that's ok. They're old! So I guess that contributes to me just not caring. I'd rather have rare stuff from their back catalog come out, like "All My Life" and "For Your Love" along with releasing some live shows.

I just assumed that Larry's comments were preparing us all for the fact he wouldn't be there. Whether it was a planned "leak" or just Larry being Larry, the timing and the language used meant I thought there was no chance - even after reading those comments last week about his doctors being close etc.

You're right though, that is a very cool way to launch the whole thing and getting a range of fans to star in it is great.

When I received the email, I had a wash of dread and then suddenly I was okay (I know, I know...as long as random fan from Ohio is okay, we're good, right)

It's true. We have seen that the band is sort of starting to weight itself toward two main decision makers; but you can tell there was some consideration here. I don't believe for a second that Larry didn't have a say in any of this. If it were left up to B&E, we'd probably know the stand-in drummer as a household name. I think he was probably at least suggested by Larry as the choice; which I think is pretty cool.

We have people over on Twitter that act like if one of the members died, the other three should just retire immediately. It's nonsensical. We're lucky we've had this band for as long as we have and that they even have a desire to keep going.

My biggest hope is that this isn't just a flashy 1 - 1.5 hour long show where they perform AB and maybe an encore of Joshua Tree hits and Pride and then it's over.

I just don't know why people care that much. It's a band in their 60's. These scenarios were absolutely bound to present themselves. If this happened 20 years ago, completely different story.

I mentioned this last night in a less classy way, but I'm at the point where seeing U2 isn't a priority anymore and I'd rather go see younger bands that have more energy. They're old, not anything close to what they were in concert 20-30 years ago. 2015, they were still good, but already showing signs of age when it came to their stage presence. And that's ok. They're old! So I guess that contributes to me just not caring. I'd rather have rare stuff from their back catalog come out, like "All My Life" and "For Your Love" along with releasing some live shows.

I actually don’t care as much as I used to but that’s because I’m older too. The bands progression to what it is today is normal. The fact that they’ve stuck together this long is amazing.

It’s disappointing that they’re performing without Larry. I’m sure the shows will still be fantastic, but i won’t go to a show without all four of them there. I guess Larry could sit on the stage and play the triangle

Maybe a new temporary drummer + revisiting one of Edges coolest albums can help inspire him again.

I actually don’t care as much as I used to but that’s because I’m older too. The bands progression to what it is today is normal. The fact that they’ve stuck together this long is amazing.

It’s disappointing that they’re performing without Larry. I’m sure the shows will still be fantastic, but i won’t go to a show without all four of them there. I guess Larry could sit on the stage and play the triangle

Maybe a new temporary drummer + revisiting one of Edges coolest albums can help inspire him again.

It would be great if Larry were there in some fashion if he was feeling well enough to support the band but he may decide to just avoid it so he’s not a distraction. With the tech involved maybe there’s a plan for him to make an appearance over video in some form.

Again I think Bono and Edge’s lust for relevancy and having to do everything big led them to the decision to not wait for Larry. “Should we do this how can we not” meaning “we have to be the first ones to play here”.

For us fans who really cares they are the first?

Should have waited for Larry.

Last edited:
Vegas is hell on earth, and U2 without Larry is not U2.

Why they're playing in one of the most morally corrupt places ever is beyond me. Rather than mocking it, U2 just seem to indulge in that lifestyle now.

Vegas is hell on earth, and U2 without Larry is not U2.

Why they're playing in one of the most morally corrupt places ever is beyond me. Rather than mocking it, U2 just seem to indulge in that lifestyle now.

They literally opened their Popmart Tour in Vegas.

They literally opened their Popmart Tour in Vegas.

That was a lot more satirical though. It just seems U2 are giving in to a legacy act status, doing their fat Elvis in Vegas phase.

Uninspired, I can only hope revisiting Achtung Baby allows them to rediscover their edge (pun fully intended) and inspire them to further creativity.

That was a lot more satirical though. It just seems U2 are giving in to a legacy act status, doing their fat Elvis in Vegas phase.

Uninspired, I can only hope revisiting Achtung Baby allows them to rediscover their edge (pun fully intended) and inspire them to further creativity.

I mentioned this earlier, but U2 are old. They are a legacy act.

Musically, these new versions are pretty brilliant. Vocally...

Bono (just out of bed): I've done this before. I can nail these songs in my sleep. Roll tape.

Edge: Are you sure you don't want to warm up befo....

Bono: Done. Cut. Print. When's lunch?

Edge: You sure you don't want to try a few more takes?

B: *munches sandwich audibly*

I think Larry might want out. Bono's test driving a solo career, or at least a Bono and The Edge career. Adam will probably go along with whatever, but Larry drummed just fine for Alice Cooper, was it last year? The wheels might not be falling off, but this is what the beginning of the wheels falling off might look like.

If U2 goes under, I think Bono and The Edge will continue to tour and record, with Adam's help. I have a suspicion that the Larry-light SOS, and the Bono and The Edge Disney Plus special are a step in that direction.

Hope for the best, but brace for the worst.

Alice cooper and Larry Mullen did “the man behind the mask” together live???

Back
Top Bottom