Let's talk about Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As the band ages, Bono has become the weak link. His persona, his vocals, the vocal mixes, the vocal melodies, his lyrics, his song titles, etc. A lot of generic, semi-inspired stuff since ATYCLB. Even at the Apple event, he had to talk about how this album needed to be up to par with their best work. Well it isn't and it never was going to be. How about he says something like, "this is a personal album, a bit of a throwback, we enjoyed making it, we hope you enjoy listening to it." Is that so hard?

I think you and I are listening to different albums. I felt Bono's "smoker's voice" was best demonstrated on anything released from 1995 to about 2003. Often Edge would hit high notes in performances where Bono would normally soar (like in "All I Want Is You"). He strained and scratched to sound well. But by NLOTH, his voice returned.

Does Bono still strain a bit here? Yes, but he also strained on TUF and on War. He hits notes that aren't really meant for him to hit. He did it then and does it now. Quite impressive, really.

Bono's vocals on NLOTH are pretty good at some points but at other points he was trying really hard to produce his normally fluid voice. I agree that with the Pop era he was pretty scratchy, but it seems like it would go back and forth.

I have to disagree here. While the melodies are good, they are not at all as good as what he's done before. All the albums from the 2000s have better and more unique melodies. Even though they are not bad, it takes a while to distinguish one from the other in this album for some reason. The first few times I listened to them they felt pretty bland and all very similar. There were no particular great chorus or verse melody that stood out at all. It took quite a few listens to start to to really discovering them and appreciating. Even though U2 albums usually take a few listens anyway it was never the case for the melodies. They were always very strong and and always stood out. This is ok for me, cause they are still there on this album but for some reason they are not as interesting and definitely not as catchy, despite of all the nice chants.

Regarding the lyrics, Bono always wrote great lyrics, in my opinion War, RAH, AB and POP show how a great lyricist Bono is. However ever since ATYCLB for some reason, between good on liners and a mildly good set of lyrics, Bono very often shifts into writing like a teenager in what I think is an attempt to write from the heart of his true emotions. Every album he repeats certain words so much that makes it all feel like the same song on every album. I'm certain this is being done consciously but it comes across as lazy and uninspired. Not ot mention extremely bland. While the latter records certainly have great lyrical moments, they are few. This one is the same. Nothing particularly amazing stand out. Bono is great with one liners and this album has a few great ones, but no strong full set of lyrics. I truly hope he will stop writing like this and start writing more interesting lyrics like he has done before.

And I truly hope he will stop with this extremely long period of constantly revising and addressing his past and their work all the time and start writing something that is less self centered. He has romanticized about his younger self and U2's first baby steps so much over the last years that it feels like a way to hide a lack of creativity. U2 always says what a struggle it is to be relevant, but is this the right way?

I think Bono can still at some point come out of this lyric writing approach and get back to exposing life in a much more interesting way as he has has done so many times before.

A heart that is broken is a heart that is open."
There is no end to love

Those are cringe-worthy.

I gotta agree on this one although I otherwise love the song. :)

Front half of the album has most of the (few) clunkers though. I think the lyrics on the album overall are much better than the past few albums of theirs.

Poetically it works on paper, but there's just something about hearing it in a rock song, or a song such as The Miracle that is trying to rock, that bothers me. The sound of it, the way it's emphasized, the fact that it's the last word in the verse....I think he could've used it in the middle of a line and made it work better, not drawing so much attention to it. As is, It just sticks out and screams "This is the Profound Moment!" much like the "top of a newborn baby's head" and "magic marker", to point out some other cringe-worthy lines.

It's not the last word in the verse? :huh:

The word makes perfect sense in dealing with the mindset of U2 as teenagers. They weren't getting into a rock band for drugs and chicks, they really thought the could discover and change the world.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

As the band ages, Bono has become the weak link. His persona, his vocals, the vocal mixes, the vocal melodies, his lyrics, his song titles, etc. A lot of generic, semi-inspired stuff since ATYCLB. Even at the Apple event, he had to talk about how this album needed to be up to par with their best work. Well it isn't and it never was going to be. How about he says something like, "this is a personal album, a bit of a throwback, we enjoyed making it, we hope you enjoy listening to it." Is that so hard?

There's nothing throwback about this album, so why would he say that?

Melody and lyric wise this is Bono's best since Zooropa. Probably even voice wise for most of the album.

He also doesn't mix the album.

It's not the last word in the verse? :huh:

The word makes perfect sense in dealing with the mindset of U2 as teenagers. They weren't getting into a rock band for drugs and chicks, they really thought the could discover and change the world.

I meant the last line, my bad.

I don't have a problem with the meaning of it. It just doesn't sound all that great. Especially coming after "I was YOUNG, NOT DUMB...YOU...BRAND NEW..." then all of a sudden the word "Pilgrims" gets thrown in there. I dunno, it just sounds wrong to me.

I meant the last line, my bad.

I don't have a problem with the meaning of it. It just doesn't sound all that great. Especially coming after "I was YOUNG, NOT DUMB...YOU...BRAND NEW..." then all of a sudden the word "Pilgrims" gets thrown in there. I dunno, it just sounds wrong to me.

I get what you're saying. But this is the Bono that has always spread modern vernacular with religious and historical references.

I'll take this over walking God like a little old lady, or Cartoon Network and angels any day.

I appreciate the idea more than the execution. Which is good and evocative for the most part but still an over-reliance on certain words that pop up too often ("dream" and "light" are this year's "heart" and "kneel").

I found his liner notes for the album to be much better written, which brings me back to a point I'll make again and again. He's so caught up in the subject matter he's writing about, it doesn't always seem tailored to the music of a specific song, and that's why he's continually cramming too many words into the lines of his verses.

On the vocal front, he's exemplary. The way he's managed to deliver early-80s-sounding songs like he used to is shocking.

I think 'fear' is the new 'kneel'

On this record Bono is good. Good lyrics and he really found confidence in his voice again.
Anyway, some songs are way too high pitched, it feels like pushing too hard, it sounds a bit annoying at several parts, a bit of reserved Joshua Tree/ Achtung baby approach would be helpful.
What I also dislike as one member mentioned are his verses diarrheas, too much words squeezed into it. But that´s a problem since Bomb.

Back
Top Bottom