Lanois / Eno - Writing Credits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianvox

Acrobat
So the traditional business agreement between the band was that everything would be split five ways between the band and McGuinne$$. Now with the introduction of Lanois and Eno to the writing credits do you think that has changed? Whose to say Bono and The Edge should not get 40 or 50 per cent credit or vice versa?

Also, what deal do you think Richard Rainey is on ? Anecdotal evidence suggests he is the true talent behind the production of recent albums.

It all went pretty quiet on this front, didn't it?
When the sessions started there was a lot of talk about the split credits, almost a Passenger type arrangement. But recently nothing....

Very true. I've only heard about Lanois and Eno sharing writing credits on "Moment of Surrender". I would add that it would be disgusting for Bono and The Edge to ask for 50%; that's the kind of crap Morrissey and Marr pulled on The Smiths, giving everyone the impression that the bass player and drummer did nothing, when they actually helped compose the songs. Since U2 is a jam band, they can't start doing that stuff; it wouldn't be right.

So the traditional business agreement between the band was that everything would be split five ways between the band and McGuinne$$. Now with the introduction of Lanois and Eno to the writing credits do you think that has changed? Whose to say Bono and The Edge should not get 40 or 50 per cent credit or vice versa?

Also, what deal do you think Richard Rainey is on ? Anecdotal evidence suggests he is the true talent behind the production of recent albums.

Since your "mate" knows Steve Matthews and Regine Moylett so well, why don't you just ask them?

Since your "mate" knows Steve Matthews and Regine Moylett so well, why don't you just ask them?

My mate works for Universal. I don't think that he is going to have access to James Hickey of MOP to ask him what the copyright / publishing arrangments are between the band. Nor could James Hickey divulge for that matter.

Brian... you should just claim to be Bono or something. You might as well.

Grammy award winning producer / engineer that has worked on last two albums.
In that case, he might be to BLAME!

It's interesting that a lot of U2 collaborators began with The Cure; Mike Hedges helped make The Cure's 1980 album "Seventeen Seconds" and he helped U2 out on ATYCLB; William Orbit did a remix for The Cure around 1989/1990 for the "Mixed Up" album, and he did U2's remix of "Electrical Storm".

I would add that it would be disgusting for Bono and The Edge to ask for 50%; that's the kind of crap Morrissey and Marr pulled on The Smiths, giving everyone the impression that the bass player and drummer did nothing, when they actually helped compose the songs. Since U2 is a jam band, they can't start doing that stuff; it wouldn't be right.

Relax, no one has said this or even implied this has recently been contemplated.

The OP has a habit of starting threads on a subject and then includes some unfounded insinuations to make it more juicy. It must be a result of not being a part of the Dublin "in" crowd.

Brian, you should seriously write to Perez Hilton to see if he needs a roaming reporter in Dublin. He loves dishing out trash on "the 2". You guys would make a perfect couple.

Relax, no one has said this or even implied this has recently been contemplated.

The OP has a habit of starting threads on a subject and then includes some unfounded insinuations to make it more juicy. It must be a result of not being a part of the Dublin "in" crowd.

Brian, you should seriously write to Perez Hilton to see if he needs a roaming reporter in Dublin. He loves dishing out trash on "the 2". You guys would make a perfect couple.

I might actually do that!

Well, for starters, NLTOH the song has a shared writing credit for the music between U2, Lanois and Eno. Lyrics are by bono (according to the sleeve of the GOYB single).

GOYB itself has a credit of music and lyrics by U2, which is quite intriguing.

I would imagine MOS, UC and Fez/Being born will most likely be co-writes as well.

Santiago

It'd be interesting know what points they get when they get a writing credit. Do you think that The 2 were trying to avoid that fate by first working with Rick Rubin? Presumably that would have been a traditional producer / band working arrangement?

Here is Richard Rainey by the way - he has produced a tonne of Irish bands.

richard-rainey-record-producer.jpg

Very true. I've only heard about Lanois and Eno sharing writing credits on "Moment of Surrender". I would add that it would be disgusting for Bono and The Edge to ask for 50%; that's the kind of crap Morrissey and Marr pulled on The Smiths, giving everyone the impression that the bass player and drummer did nothing, when they actually helped compose the songs. Since U2 is a jam band, they can't start doing that stuff; it wouldn't be right.

Yes, *but* something has changed in the "credits" department on the last album or two (before Horizon). Pretty much all songs used to be "Words and music by U2", but on either ATYCLB or HTDAAB this changed to "Words by Bono and the Edge, music by U2" or just "Words by Bono, music by U2" - depending on the song.

I don't know why this happened or if it's in any way significant to each member's take of the song royalties - it's just an observation on the wording.

Regarding the "5-way split" - I think that was on profits made by U2, or "Not Us", or whichever company they run their profits through. Individual royalties for songwriting could conceivably be separate from that - it's possible that the 5-way split with McGuinness only covers, say, touring and merchandise and maybe some portion of CD sales? Maybe someone with more knowledge of the industry could shed some light...

--Dean

Yes, *but* something has changed in the "credits" department on the last album or two (before Horizon). Pretty much all songs used to be "Words and music by U2", but on either ATYCLB or HTDAAB this changed to "Words by Bono and the Edge, music by U2" or just "Words by Bono, music by U2" - depending on the song.

Wrong, most albums before Pop were Music by U2, Words by Bono. Pop started the Words by Bono and Edge where necessary.

Wrong, most albums before Pop were Music by U2, Words by Bono. Pop started the Words by Bono and Edge where necessary.

Really? That could be true I didn't check, but the fact remains that something changed along the way, and this seems to imply that on royalties at least, the split is not a simple 20% each.

Or maybe it's just to do with permission rights for other people wanting to use the song... I don't know this is all guesswork.

--Dean

Rainy has done all that much for U2, mainly been engineer on a few tracks and co-produced one b-side.

You may want to try and do some homework next time before your trolling.

Here's a list of what Rainey has done with U2:

Richard Rainey - record producer and recording engineer

Well - good for you if you call mixing and engineering on the last two u2 albums as 'not that much'. Check your facts before questioning me:

https://music.msn.com/music/artist-credits/richard-rainey/?startingItem=1&sb=3&ipp=10

Well - good for you if you call mixing and engineering on the last two u2 albums as 'not that much'. Check your facts before questioning me:

https://music.msn.com/music/artist-credits/richard-rainey/?startingItem=1&sb=3&ipp=10

Link doesn't work. Where on his website does it say he did the mixing and engineering on the last two albums? I did a quick scan of the Bomb liner notes can't find his name anywhere.

Not that much meaning no where enough to warrant your "Anecdotal evidence suggests he is the true talent behind the production of recent albums"...

So check YOUR "facts" and try again...

My mate works for Universal. I don't think that he is going to have access to James Hickey of MOP to ask him what the copyright / publishing arrangments are between the band. Nor could James Hickey divulge for that matter.

Would you like to namedrop anybody else while you're here?

I mean, you clearly read the liner notes once. Way to go man! That's dedication to the 2.

Really? That could be true I didn't check, but the fact remains that something changed along the way, and this seems to imply that on royalties at least, the split is not a simple 20% each.

Or maybe it's just to do with permission rights for other people wanting to use the song... I don't know this is all guesswork.

--Dean

What changed is Edge started contributing to lyrics around Pop...

Bono has always been entitled to more royalties but he splits them with the rest of the band instead. I don't think any "disgusting" or greedy behavior over this will crop up now.

Once again first link didn't work.

He engineered on ATYCLB, he did nothing on Bomb except a b-side.

Even your own links have nothing to do with Bomb, so quit with the last two albums crap.

Anyways you're just diverting attention away from your first post which was flat out wrong.

Take your own advice read the liner notes before trying to stir up shit...

Back
Top Bottom