A Mate Met Steve Matthews, MD of Principal Yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stadium shows are much better when you see them on DVD.

Arena shows are where its at. Its a shame that they might not do arena's for this tour.

Agreed. The best way to see a stadium is on dvd or from the back of the stadium. I'm all about being as close to the band as possible. :up:

I've never been to a U2 concert, and I don't know if I want my first one to be in a stadium, unless I know that I'm gonna be in a really good spot.

Im confused on the "spring tour" comment. Brianvox, can you clarify? Did you take that to mean Spring 2009 or Spring 2010? Im trying to plan a pregnancy around all this so help a girl out!:wink:

I spoke to my mate earlier tonight again. He is more concerned about Keane and Killers than any of this. Regiene Moylett told him the US tour will be April (thats Spring in Ireland) to June - weekends only. Then its Europe from late June through September.

Thats all I can do!

I've never been to a U2 concert, and I don't know if I want my first one to be in a stadium, unless I know that I'm gonna be in a really good spot.

Well, I'll put it to you this way....it doesn't matter if they're playing in a huge crater on the moon, the experience will be unbelievable regardless of the fact. That being said, some experiences are better than others.

If I were you, I'd make a point to get to whatever show you can because there's no guarantee that they'll tour in your area again due to their age.

Exclusive: U2 get on their boots for 3 Croker crackers | U2 news article from @U2

The secret is out! Today we reveal the inside details of U2's biggest ever world tour.
The rockers are set to return with a bang by with a European stadium tour this summer.
And they will enjoy a huge homecoming celebration with three nights at Croke Park.
We have learned the band has provisionally booked the GAA ground for July 24, 25 and 26.

Then Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. head to America where they will play a full stadium programme for the first time in 12 years.

In September they go to New York, Boston and Chicago before heading to Miami, California and San Francisco over the winter. A source close to the band revealed last night: "They have avoided U.S. stadiums for the past two tours as they were worried they wouldn't sell out. "They obviously think demand is there and want to reclaim their spot as the world's No. 1 band."

Ha! Paul Martin - Irish Mirror Showbiz Editor. Give me a break. Lowest of the low. Gutter press at its best. No way Moylett or Principal would allow him a scoop.

really though, what difference might a "really good" spot make? there are "bad spots" in an arena just as there are in a stadium. ill argue that i'd rather have a "Bad stadium" spot than "bad arena" spot just because you know if its a stadium, the bells, whistles and everything will be locked and loaded and you'll be getting a visual spectacle. whereas being in the nosebleeds behind the stage in an arena with the bands backs to you, with just the four monitors above the stage, would be worse. just because its a smaller venue doesn't mean every seat rocks. it's the same everywhere. it just means fewer shows, some open-air sound places (non domes) and worse parking to go with some awesome spectacle. i'll take the stadiums.

really though, what difference might a "really good" spot make? there are "bad spots" in an arena just as there are in a stadium. ill argue that i'd rather have a "Bad stadium" spot than "bad arena" spot just because you know if its a stadium, the bells, whistles and everything will be locked and loaded and you'll be getting a visual spectacle. whereas being in the nosebleeds behind the stage in an arena with the bands backs to you, with just the four monitors above the stage, would be worse. just because its a smaller venue doesn't mean every seat rocks. it's the same everywhere. it just means fewer shows, some open-air sound places (non domes) and worse parking to go with some awesome spectacle. i'll take the stadiums.

I would respectfully and completely disagree with you.

With regards to acoustics, I think Stadiums fall short. In terms of visuals in a large stage/screen setup Stadiums have a distinct advantage.

I personally value the acoustic experience over the visual at a show.

Acoustics are much more difficult to master in a massive open air stadium then in a smaller closed environment. That is a fact.

That being said, there are many more instances of "bad spots" in a stadium then in an arena IMO. One major issue other than the open air part, its the shear distance between the band and the fans, especially with the upper decks of most soccer/football stadiums. That is why you see so many upper deck seats not sold out or even sold at all in many stadium shows. I've even seen some upper deck areas covered. You just can't get great acoustics up there.

I spoke to my mate earlier tonight again. He is more concerned about Keane and Killers than any of this. Regiene Moylett told him the US tour will be April (thats Spring in Ireland) to June - weekends only. Then its Europe from late June through September.

Thats all I can do!

Eh? I thought until I read this it would be spring 2010 so spring 2009? Not sure if I believe it, they'd have to get cracking in the next couple weeks!

My very first U2 concert was PopMart at Ohio Stadium! Needless to say I still haven't gotten over it! :love:

That was my first U2 show, too! Still remember the date...May 25, 1997. I became a huge fan after that show...

I have heard that the US shows will be huge stadium spectaculars this time around (from a music business friend). I don't know how I feel about this, yet, because I love that you can get so close in an arena, but on the other hand it would be nice to see something like Popmart, again.

Eh? I thought until I read this it would be spring 2010 so spring 2009? Not sure if I believe it, they'd have to get cracking in the next couple weeks!

I can only pass on what I hear!

With international money markets the way they are cash is king. The shows will sell out no matter what but, unlike previously, having the money on deposit for months isn't going to mean much.

The Boss sold out European dates this summer only announced in the last couple of weeks. When he played Europe in summer 08 the dates were announced in September 07.

and while I don't know how three nights in a row would affect the band, I like the idea of weekend shows because it means if it's during school I can probably go without missing anything...it would suck to have to choose between U2 and a midterm :| (...I'd pick U2)

I would LOVE weekend shows for this reason exactly! I'm already skipping my writing course on the morning of the 3rd so that {I can pick up NLOTH and properly listen to it. I don't want to end up missing a lecture or exam over a U2 hangover next fall!

And, just a comment because I feel weird about it, but we should probably leave the location/name of Bono's daughter's university and family member's health out of the tour issue. For all we know, "family conflicts" could be an issue that we aren't even aware of! This discussion should be about the tour and locations of it only, not whats going on with the band personally. I know that we all want to know the whos, whats, whens, wheres, whys, & hows, but some things aren't meant to be known. Sorry if I'm stepping on any toes or anything, it just didn't feel right to ignore it.

Super excited though!!! A September or even October show at Soldier Field would be amazing! They haven't played there since 1997 during the POPMART tour.

yeah no kidding. they'd have to be selling tickets to the concert a week (if even) after the album is released? and i figure we'd have heard something about the US stadiums being booked as well. surely if they're playing there in April- June or whatever, they'd have to have it booked by now or close to now.

call me skeptical.

I really hope the floor will be GA. Reserved seating in a stadium opens a huge can of worms as far as resellers making a fortune on prime tickets and most people are stuck with terrible sound/views.

While I agree the stadium experience can be cool, from a purely sound and viewing experience, arenas are still vastly better.

if U2 sells reserved floor at $150+ prices outta the gate, I will have a hard time justifying catching this tour in this economy, and I have yet to miss a tour since '81.

T.B.

I missed the last tour and I'm hoping to make it up with this tour by hitting several shows. If tickets are $150 for GA (unless I hit the lottery :pray:) I'm only going to be able to make it to 1 or 2 shows :sad:

I would respectfully and completely disagree with you.

With regards to acoustics, I think Stadiums fall short. In terms of visuals in a large stage/screen setup Stadiums have a distinct advantage.

I personally value the acoustic experience over the visual at a show.

Acoustics are much more difficult to master in a massive open air stadium then in a smaller closed environment. That is a fact.

That being said, there are many more instances of "bad spots" in a stadium then in an arena IMO. One major issue other than the open air part, its the shear distance between the band and the fans, especially with the upper decks of most soccer/football stadiums. That is why you see so many upper deck seats not sold out or even sold at all in many stadium shows. I've even seen some upper deck areas covered. You just can't get great acoustics up there.

i saw the police in east hartford when they were around here at rentschler field. I had no problem hearing a thing and the sound was comparable to that of the 30 u2 shows i've seen.

My very first U2 concert was PopMart at Ohio Stadium! Needless to say I still haven't gotten over it! :love:

I will plead with you. Plus, Columbus is such a "cleaner" city than Detroit! :wink:

That was my first U2 concert also!! First concert period, actually. I was only 15 and my parents took me and 3 friends. I wish I could remember more about it. Since then, I've been to that stadium a few times for football games, and all I usually think about it "wow, that big ass stage was RIGHT THERE". I hope they come back and play "the shoe" again!!

Steve basically said that touring will be very different this time around due to family commitments. Stadium tour of US a definite with shows on Thurs, Fri and Sat nights only. Extensive European tour as well but no shows in Asia / Australia.

Steve also said that the set design is 'massive'. Basically, the biggest development in concert going since Zoo TV. Its fairly radical and involves audience interaction.

This makes me very excited!!!!

Please let me know if this is also made up.

Leaving it open for now since there is decent tour discussion in it.

I think it would be a major shame if they skipped some of the markets that have supported them through thick and thin over the years and this includes Australia. But I wont comment on speculation and I doubt this guy would have given that much information out anyway.

a friend of mine is a part-time scalper, and i recently talked to him about Springsteen tickets for the spring tour -- he said that business was bad, that paying big money for concert tickets isn't something that people are willing to do with such a shit economy right now, and the current spending habits of the average US consumer seem to back him up. people are actually saving money now, which is a good thing, but it also tells me that no one is going to want to spend close to $100 to see U2 in a gigantic stadium.

if they care about sell out shows, which i think they do, they won't get that except for a select few markets in the US given the economy, no matter how good NLOTH is.

Personally I dont think U2 could sell out stadiums in the US even with a good economy and a great album. I hope to be proven wrong though. The rest of the world it wont be a problem but Americans havent been the major supporters of U2 since the 80s and I dont see that changing now.

If you look at pure numbers US numbers in the 80s were about 50 percent of U2s sales now they are about 33 percent, which doesnt equate to them doing all that well, and that didnt change the last 2 albums either.

You know what? I don't believe this whole "insider" thing. I didn't really believe it yesterday and after seeing the other thread about the media reviews I don't believe it at all now. I think we've had enough cases of people coming here telling "insider stuff" that turned out to be made up. I doubt very much that people from Universal or PM would give out such information to anyone outside their inner circle. We have an extreme level of secrecy surrounding this album, I don't think people just go around telling random guys stuff like this. I wish some people on this board remembered what they learned in the last weeks and months about so-called insiders and don't jump on everything and everyone just coming here and telling stuff like this. I could make a thread tomorrow about my boyfriend's brother in law's second cousin who has a mate who went to university with someone who works in U2's favourite restaurant and has overheard this and that. Crap.

There's no way U2 will be touring the US before Europe, there haven't even been rumours yet, while we have a lot of tour rumours in Europe. Album comes out in Feb/March, then promo tour, then tour start in Europe end of June. Sources have said so, Paul McGuiness has said so. I'd say US arenas in fall OR US stadiums next year, but I'm not sure what they will do in fall if the stadium thing starts in spring.

Please let me know if this is also made up.

Leaving it open for now since there is decent tour discussion in it.

I've been reading this since the beginning, and seeing the other thread this poster made and the posts he's made in the past, I don't buy it at all. Sounds like bullshit to me.

I've been reading this since the beginning, and seeing the other thread this poster made and the posts he's made in the past, I don't buy it at all. Sounds like bullshit to me.

I don't understand what posters get out of making shit up and posting it on here. Really pisses me off and these posters should be banned :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom