4 Big U2 Fans I've Spoken To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
as a fan for 26 years now I can assure you this is this their strongest release since JT/AB...last few albums had ok songs but this one has got me loving every tracl and that hasn't happened since AB :)

I like the album now a litte more than i did on the first listen. its good but not great. no classics on it. i have a feeling that when the dust settles album, most people will see it as a decent album; nothing spectacular. on all the oasis forums everyone was saying doys was incredible when it first came out, now most says its decent but nothing special. i hope im wrong, cause i want everyone to love the album even if i dont.

why is this suprising to anybody?? casual fans will not be thrilled with it the same way casual fans werent thrilled with Zooropa and POP. Or even Achtung Baby at the time as well, which took people a long time to warm up to as more and more music came out from other bands that was based on U2s advancement of electronics in the songs.

you think the Bends/OK Computer would have been a commercial/radio/casual fan success without Achtung Baby having come out previously??

the general public needs to be eased into these things. thats why boots sounds like vertigo at its base and why Crazy will be hte next single.

For me, NLOTH is indeed a special album and I think it will remain special. I won't play it to death by listening to it all the time.

That's the whole thing about NLOTH. It isn't sing along. It isn't catchy. The songs don't try to please. They just are. (But the songs are beautiful. It's brillant.) I thought about some people might having a big problem with this album because of this. I guess I was right. Well, nothing I can do except feel sorry for those people.

I actually disagree... plenty of the songs are catchy ... you don't think Magnificent, Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy, and Breathe are catchy? Obviously not every song is but they definitely have enough to release singles :up:

but yeah it's a strange album ... unfortunate that they didn't like it after 10 listens, it took me about 8 listens to really decide that I love it. When I first heard it I was kind of :huh:

The album isn't even out yet, i'll be curious to see how it does. 5 star reviews from RS and Q are awesome, but Spin only gave it 3.5. Not that the reviews matter that much but I like to see U2 do well, and the reviews could help sell albums

I think the album has some great melodies, unlike what some critics said, most of these songs are indeed catchy, some I can not get out of my head. I think U2 made some complex and some strange music with that album, but still managed to make most songs quite catchy.

I think the album has some great melodies, unlike what some critics said, most of these songs are indeed catchy, some I can not get out of my head. I think U2 made some complex and some strange music with that album, but still managed to make most songs quite catchy.

Def agree with this. Even the weirder songs are catchy. Cedars is in my head a lot.

I am so fucking sick of people dissing U2 every time they come out with something new. They may have had a slight case with the last album, although it was album of the year, but I just want someone to listen to this album 8-10 times and fucking tell me how bad it is... they have no ammo this time I am proud to say.

I played this for my dad who hates on U2 just to piss me off. I started with Breathe to throw him off... and he was like "yeah, this song is good, but what are the rest like? I bet it's all filler..." When I told him it was the 10th song on the album he couldn't believe it.

I actually disagree... plenty of the songs are catchy ... you don't think Magnificent, Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy, and Breathe are catchy? Obviously not every song is but they definitely have enough to release singles :up:

but yeah it's a strange album ... unfortunate that they didn't like it after 10 listens, it took me about 8 listens to really decide that I love it. When I first heard it I was kind of :huh:

The album isn't even out yet, i'll be curious to see how it does. 5 star reviews from RS and Q are awesome, but Spin only gave it 3.5. Not that the reviews matter that much but I like to see U2 do well, and the reviews could help sell albums

They are, but not as Elevation or Stuck. Not that being catchy makes them any good or worst. One of my favorite songs, Blur's "Tender", I hear once in a week, maybe even a month. Catchy doesn't make a difference for me, just how many times I'll listen to it on a regular basis. There's Vertigo, it's not my favorite song on HTDAAB, but it's the one I listen the most.
Yeah, I was a little :huh: the first time, but I'm in love with it since the second listen.
But I'll give you that: I actually was wrong. :wink: I'm finding myself listening to SUC and CT a lot more than the others. But they're not my fav on the album. I'm starting to believe they are catchy as hell actually. :D Still not near to Elevation or Stuck though.
On another topic, I still don't believe that this album will be sucessful commercially. But as I always like to point out: I thought VLV was a wrong single choice. We all know how that went. :D

Each of them have played the album about 10 times and each of them have said they "dont know what to make of it","boots is a terrible song","theres no classics on the album" and in general "the album is fairly poor" and they were "dissapointed". How can the opinions im hearing from friends differ so much from in here?.

pretty spot on to how i feel about it

Every time U2 release an album its the same though. U2 fans tend to have a favourite style of U2 music and anything which isn't that just doesn't do it for them. You then get people saying it sounds like this album or that album or the other one to the point where you have to wonder if they're listening to the same album.

Just let them all get on with it I say.

I've not heard the album yet but as long as I like it i don't really care whether anyone else does or not- I like Duran Duran who are routinely the whipping boys of the music press and generally get dismal reviews (sometimes with good reason- eg Thank You which was truly awful) but as long as I enjoy it then :lol:

Everyone has different opinions. Some love Achtung Baby, some list it as the worst U2album. Same with The Joshua Tree, Zooropa, Pop, How To Dismantle, and (frankly) any of the 12 U2 albums.

I personally love it, so that's the opinion that counts for me. :heart::up:

I have been a die hard since 87--and a fan since 84. I have never not been blown away by a U2 record. I have refrained from writing a fan review because I am still digesting, but I already have mixed feelings--that could change, and I want to live with the record for a bit before I really weigh in. There was a very interesting comment on another post about those who listened to the clips vs. those who didn't. I did not, and it seems many who did not have not had the "masterpiece" reaction of those who did.

One thing I will say about the "no classics" observation is that there are no real "builders" that really "step up" in the classic U2 sense. NLOTH and Magnif. are big U2 songs with big U2 sounds. They are my favorite on the record (along with FezBB and MOS)--but even those very strong tracks remain on the same level and do not have those classic U2 crescendos that are the hallmark of the great U2 classics--The songs from the last album that I would put in that "step up" category are MD, SYCMIYO, and OOTS. ATYCLB would be BD, Kite, WILATW, Walk On.

I think my main critique at this point stems from the lack of the songs reall going anywhere in that they seem to remain on the same path instead of really "stepping up" at some point during the song and taking it to the next level either with the vocal or the music.

Your U2 friends must be tone deaf..........Bono has never sound so good on record as this and this album is so radio friendly its unbelievable. Loads of melody, great riffs, great lyrics, Eno and Lanois have had a fantastic album.

Are you sure you're not just trying to provoke outrage.......what do U2 fans want..........this is better than anything out there and I doubt anything better will be released this year.

This is right up there alongside JT and AB. Too many damn good songs on this album to call it poor.........blimey we've got a fantastic song like Breathe as track 10.......

this album is a lot but NOT radiofriendly. As in NO F&*#%^@ WAY RADIOFRIENDLY:wink:

great record nonetheless ad ono sounds cool again thank God

Each of them have played the album about 10 times and each of them have said they "dont know what to make of it","boots is a terrible song","theres no classics on the album" and in general "the album is fairly poor" and they were "dissapointed". How can the opinions im hearing from friends differ so much from in here?.

i don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks.

i like the album, anyone who doesn't, and needs to attention whore it up on interference about it can get fucked.

if anyone *does* want to track what other people think of U2... check this out:

u2 - Twitter Search

a lot more positive comments coming out than I expected :ohmy:... seems like everyone has a different song that they like on this album

I like it...but I really don't think it gunna end up being a "Classic U2 Album"

Someone on Twiitter:
"No. Seriously. It's bad. It's like every U2 cliche ever with a little extra dash of WTF."
^Sooooooo true, minus the "It's bad"...cause it not...but ain't "amazing"

GOYB has been a very divisive song. I wouldn't say it is "terrible" at all (I can think of many U2 songs that are). But I will forgive them that.

However, if they truly don't like the rest of the album, it could be that they are too wrapped up in "instant gratification".

This album has no big hooks. It has no instant hits, that will be remembered today, but gone tomorrow.

We had a thread in the EYKIW forum asking if "Vertigo" and "Elevation" will be remembered! While I said "yes", just asking that type of question says it all. It indicates that some people consider the past few albums "hit machines" that will be forgetten over time.

Some people like that - they want those big hits. But I will say this, when "The Joshua Tree" was first reviewed, no one saw hits there either. Back then, since albums still sold fairly well, it was predicted that U2 may go on to sell, oh, maybe 3 million copies of JT, if they were lucky. But it just wasn't that accessible. We all know what happened.

I am willing to bet that if those same fans heard JT today, they may say the same comments. No immediate hooks, no songs that sound like classic hits, nothing that leaps out. Where is the "Pride" and "Out of Control" and "New Year's Day"?

Like the rest of "Unforgettable Fire" (removing "Pride"), this is not a very accessible album. But there are many classics in it.

I'm sorry that your friends have shut down their ability to open their musical minds. They really seemed to have focused on "hooks" rather than the music.

And this is why the reviews have been glowing. This is why fans here have been ecstatic. This isn't an album full of hits. In fact, I think many of us are anticipating softer sales for this very reason. But over time, perhaps after hearing the songs live or hearing more on the radio, your friends will change their minds and really appreciate NLOTH.

Live music has that power. Even those who weren't crazy about GOYB on here, were impressed with the live performances we have had to date.

I honestly think the album is that good its crazy to say its poor. I know its a little worrying if it will hit with the modern generation, but the album is full of that, and also gives the older generation music aswell, that's why i love it so much, its full of al sorts of generations of music.

I don't understand why there's a need for some people to post here about the informal polls they've taken, like we're supposed to read it and say "Oh, well if those four people don't like it, I guess it's not that great."

I find it somewhat interesting to hear what non-Interference people think of it, but don't feel the need to post a new thread saying "You guys, four people don't like it and they're big U2 fans!"

My personal experiences with friends:

Fan #1: casual fan. Knowlegable musician who isn't talking out of his butt. GOYB reminds him of Vertigo.

Fan #2: huge fan, but more of their older stuff. Wishes they could be more like they were in the 80s. Does not like GOYB.

Fan #3: big fan, didn't like GOYB when she first heard it, then it grew on her. Heard Magnificent on the radio and liked that one much more right off the bat.

What do you do with that information? You take it in, you comment as appropriate as you would with a friend in conversation about anything else. It doesn't mean anything beyond "this is their opinion, it does not affect mine."

:shrug:

Music is so subjective that I never really discuss it with friends. It's up there with politics.

For example, I have a few friends that agree with me in that Coldplay is a bit boring and they are desperately trying to sound like Radiohead, but with U2's anthemic bombast. For a Coldplay fan, this works (and I do like some Coldplay songs very much). But if I say, "Oh, I didn't like the last album" to a Coldplay fan, will it mean much? It's just my taste.

U2's last two albums were very solid - even great. They had moments of 80's on them, so it always puzzles me when some 80's era fans still don't like them. But NLOTH is very much like TUF meets OS1. OS1 also had elements of that 80's sound as it was very atmospheric. "Your Blue Room" could have sat right along with "Walk to the Water". So for a fan of 80's U2, NLOTH should be great.

But some fans love hits and NLOTH isn't as accessible. It does take multiple listenings. Even I'm not "in love" with every song. I'm still torn on a few songs that some adore here. And that's good. When I first heard "One", didn't like it. I felt it ruined the mood of AB and should have been placed much later in the album. Now I adore it. Some parts of JT I didn't like either, but now really consider amongst U2's best.

So to true U2 fans, not the casual ones, I will tell them to just give the album time. Don't listen 10 times in two days and comment. Let it grow on you. Let yourself really hear it. Let yourself hear the live versions. And if it's still not for you, so be it. But you may find yourselves changing your minds considerably over time. :yes:

I recall the same feelings with AB. No one liked it at the start, they thought it was shit. Its now a cult classic.

I have been a die hard since 87--and a fan since 84. I have never not been blown away by a U2 record. I have refrained from writing a fan review because I am still digesting, but I already have mixed feelings--that could change, and I want to live with the record for a bit before I really weigh in. There was a very interesting comment on another post about those who listened to the clips vs. those who didn't. I did not, and it seems many who did not have not had the "masterpiece" reaction of those who did.

One thing I will say about the "no classics" observation is that there are no real "builders" that really "step up" in the classic U2 sense. NLOTH and Magnif. are big U2 songs with big U2 sounds. They are my favorite on the record (along with FezBB and MOS)--but even those very strong tracks remain on the same level and do not have those classic U2 crescendos that are the hallmark of the great U2 classics--The songs from the last album that I would put in that "step up" category are MD, SYCMIYO, and OOTS. ATYCLB would be BD, Kite, WILATW, Walk On.

I think my main critique at this point stems from the lack of the songs reall going anywhere in that they seem to remain on the same path instead of really "stepping up" at some point during the song and taking it to the next level either with the vocal or the music.

Bulls eye! I mean I couldn't agree more. I'm wondering if the not "stepping up" was done deliberately or because they just could't get to that higher plane. Because it is so constant on this album and never done before I think it is done on/with a purpose although I can't think of any reasons for doing it.

I recall the same feelings with AB. No one liked it at the start, they thought it was shit. Its now a cult classic.

I remember U2 saying "it's probably our most serious record with the least serious title"! :D I however did like it at the start although some of the songs really had to grow on me and favourites changed over time. And even today even the generally not so much liked song So Cruel is still brilliant to me! This album however will fade away and never receive that status after indeed the euphoria of finally a new U2 album fades too.

Here's an honest good review I think: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=5256

Someone on Twiitter:
"No. Seriously. It's bad. It's like every U2 cliche ever with a little extra dash of WTF."
thats a funny quote considering one of the 1st posts in this thread said that their friends thought it didnt sound anything like U2.

no way Stand Up Comedy sounds like anything theyve done before, for one example.

youre going to get haters no matter. they hear Bono's distinctive voice, know its U2, and say it sounds just like every other U2 song just because they are locked in on the voice.

You have a number of different groups of U2 fans. For instance, I have been a fan since the 80's. When Achtung Baby cameout in '91 I was floored. That album totally solidifed U2 as number one with me, and everything since has been compared to it.

Then you have the younger fans that got into the band during the ATYCLB and HTDAAB years, who may not be as familiar with the AB era stuff, or lived through that era/tour to really appreciate how spectacular it was.

I feel that NLOTH has a similar mood and feel to the AB years, which is why I think it is a great abum. Those who like the more radio friendly U2 of the last couple of albums may not be as receptive.

Back
Top Bottom