Shadows and Tall Trees?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
My English class is reading The Lord of the Flies, and even though the class is only on chapter 4, I read ahead to Chapter 7, because it was called Shadows and Tall Trees, and I'm only about halfway through the chapter( I have no time),and I was wondering... Is there any correlation between that chapter, or Lord of the Flies in general and the U2 song? I don't think so, but what are your opinions? Did Bono just like the name or something like that?

There is a connection between the book and the song. Lord Of The Flies was an important book in the Lypton Village. Gavin, Guggi, Bono, Edge etc thought this book as something like an ideal in the past, in their childhood; especially the ones from the Village that formed the Virgin Prunes later. The image of children who lived wild and untamed just under the laws they did themselves were fascinating to them.

So yeah, big connection. :up:

Why would living like wild savage children that went out of control be an ideal for them? Lord of the Flies is about the worst of people coming out, and I can't imagine that they would wnat to live like that, especially during the part that the group breaks apart

Yeah I thought it was a terrible book! I wonder how the story would have been if there were girls stranded on the island and not boys?

If it had been girls instead of boys, there wouldn't be much of a story, now would there?

The girls would have immediately formed cliques and the ones not in the 'favored' group would be either cast out (and dead) or else cast out and then they would come back and murder the 'in' crowd...

Don't you know that girls are more vicious than boys???

much love...

};)~

goat

Personal Experience tells me that Girls are So much more vicious than Boys.

Exactly what Goat said. Couldn't imagine a female Lord of the Flies with much of a story.

Back
Top Bottom