MERGED ----> U2 by U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An extra £15? Pfffffft, it's not worth it, I'll buy the regular version - I don't care if it'll be worth something in 20 years time. Hardly any of my books are in decent condition anyway....

According to a bookshop blurb I've seen: "This limited, numbered edition of 5,000-10,000 worldwide is exquisitely bound and boxed with an exclusive facsimile of U2's first ever gig poster (outside Dublin), printed to the original size. This is a true collector edition for all true fans of the band."

Re: U2 by U2.....Whats the difference??

BonoFox1 said:
U2 by U2 by U2 and Neil McCormick (Hardcover - Sep 26, 2006)

Buy new: $39.95
Other Edition(s): Hardcover

U2 by U2 Deluxe Edition by U2 and Neil McCormick (Hardcover - Oct 1, 2006)

Buy new: $125.00
Other Edition(s): Hardcover

Does anyone know what the deluxe version might be..I want to buy this book but I dont know if I want to spend that much for the deluxe if there is no indication what the difference might be....

which one will you be geting???

$125??? Jeez. I'll stick with the 39.95 version thank you very much.

Greenlight said:

May be a collector's item but I'm not sure it's worth it.

:up:

Shelling out extra dough on the deluxe version seems a little silly if 'deluxe' just means an extra poster. At this point, I'm not even that excited about getting the regular version, to be honest. I've heard the U2 story a million times, and outside of some great photography, I wonder how much can truly be added to that.

The timing of the book's release is also puzzling, isn't it? If U2 wanted to create an ultimate 'must have,' it would have made much more sense to combine the Zoo TV DVD and the book together.

I think downloading a book like this somewhat defeats the purpose of it. It is a coffee table book is it not? Something nice to keep I guess.

thelaj said:
It is a coffee table book is it not? Something nice to keep I guess.

If you put 4 tiny legs on it, it could be your coffee table. It's just as expensive as one.

I'll wait until God brings it to the room.

thelaj said:
I think downloading a book like this somewhat defeats the purpose of it. It is a coffee table book is it not? Something nice to keep I guess.

I already have U2 coffee table books. I just want to see if it says anything different than the dozens of other U2 books...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I already have U2 coffee table books. I just want to see if it says anything different than the dozens of other U2 books...

There could be a secret family recipe for meatloaf in there. :drool:

In all seriousness, I will buy the regular version if it looks original and captures something I haven't seen before...as you say.

GibsonGirl said:
US $125.00?! For a book?!

:|
image1km2.gif

GibsonGirl said:
US $125.00?! For a book?!

I just bought a few new books for college, and a couple of them were in that price range. :( It's not completely unheard of, even though it is way too much.

SpaceOddity said:

I just bought a few new books for college, and a couple of them were in that price range. :( It's not completely unheard of, even though it is way too much.

I spent $400 on books for college:sad:

This is not just another U2 book though is it. It is BY U2. In their own words as opposed to someone else's. Or maybe I am confused.

I will get the book for sure, though further investigation will be needed before I decide on which version.

Now, if the deluxe version had a fold out life size Edge, that may be worth the cost.

xaviMF22 said:

I spent $400 on books for college:sad:

I feel your pain... I always dread new school terms. I usually have to blow a month's paycheck just to cover the costs. :sigh:

As for this book, I'm probably going to wait until it's been out for a while and the price goes down. Or just reserve it at the library. LOL.

thelaj said:
This is not just another U2 book though is it. It is BY U2. In their own words

yeah, that's definitely a good reason to get this on, IMO. :yes: The deluxe version, though......meh :| Absolutely not worth it. What I don't get is what happened to the R&H film cell that the deluxe version was supposed to come with. I'm fairly certain that's what HarperCollins originally said was going to be one of the distinguishing features. It still wouldn't make it worthwhile, but it would make it more worthwhile than just a photocopy of a poster! :huh:

As for the autographed ones, I believe the original HarperCollins description said that 500 of the deluxe versions would be autographed....but they never said how those mere 500 would be distributed.

Kinda funny that none of us----the "diehard" U2 fans---are bothering to get the deluxe version. It makes you wonder how many they'll actually sell!

I'll read my normal version and be perfectly happy!

Canadiens1160 said:

I actually had a copy of this book during my time as a legal aid adviser for the university student union :lol:

I didn't pay for that book, but I have paid over $100 each for certain sociology and political science textbooks. I always had issues with why they were so expensive. Ultimately, I ended up calling it price gauging of a captive market by huge publishing companies....sounds familiar :hmm:

$150 is way too much for a U2 book. Personally, I'd be embarrassed if I were in a band and expected my fans to pay that much for the story of how we got together, humble roots and all. Oh, the irony. This is a great example of how the band should be more hands-on with the fan side of things.

angelordevil said:

$150 is way too much for a U2 book. Personally, I'd be embarrassed if I were in a band and expected my fans to pay that much for the story of how we got together, humble roots and all. Oh, the irony. This is a great example of how the band should be more hands-on with the fan side of things.

The "deluxe" edition (not sure what that entails) is $125. The regular edition is $39.95. There's no mention anywhere of a product costing $150. You're being melodramatic for no reason.

This is how things get inflamed, and where "urban legends" of a sort begin.
Perhaps it's not the band who should be embarrassed.

biff said:

The "deluxe" edition (not sure what that entails) is $125. The regular edition is $39.95. There's no mention anywhere of a product costing $150. You're being melodramatic for no reason.

I'm in Canada, so $140 is probably closer. It's still too much, I think.

biff said:

This is how things get inflamed, and where "urban legends" of a sort begin.
Perhaps it's not the band who should be embarrassed.

Thanks! What a sweet thing to say :happy:

What I don't get is why the deluxe version is so much more expensive in the US than in the UK -$125 as opposed to £35 which by my reckoning works out with the current exchange rate at something like $67.
It would be worth buying some deluxe copies over here and shipping them over as the shipping costs shouldn't be that much. I'd be happy to buy a couple of copies if need be if anyone in the States is desperate for the deluxe version and you could just pay me for the book and costs.

biff said:

The "deluxe" edition (not sure what that entails) is $125. The regular edition is $39.95.

From what I understand so far the $40 price tag is a discounted online pre order, the regular price is over $50 (in Canada at least), do I have it wrong?, how much will it be in the stores?

PS $40 and $125 is a huge price jump for a deluxe edition, for that price it better come with something really exclusive, what exactly is in this deluxe edition, has anyone found out yet?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom