Bono's lyrical and U2's musical influences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigIdeas

The Fly
Hello, I'm really trying to figure out what kinds of influences U2, and especially Bono, had as songwriters. Bono once stated something about how he's astounded by clever writers, but keeps going back to the ones with clever ideas - who are these? I know that the Edge was into the Clash and admitted them as an early influence in many an interview. I also know of Bono's readings of Flannery O'Connor, Bukowski, A. Ginsberg, and obvious back-to-the-Scripture stuff, and Heaney from an article in the LA Times. But I mean except Dylan during the R&H sessions, what kind of influences have followed U2 and by the album or the era, i.e. Boy post-punk Clash, Sex Pistols, ...? Any1 have stories and such (info) please do share.

Interesting question. In terms of the Edge's style, which is obviously a big part of U2's music, he always cites Tom Verlaine from Television and Patti Smith.

There was an early eighties band called the Associates fronted by a Scottish poet/singer/troubador called Billy MacKenzie (who unfortunately committed suicide in 1997) and Bono said after his death that the Associates were an influence on early U2.

Achtung Baby was influenced by bands like Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine.

Also Bono said in an interview that the Who were quite a big influence on U2 because they combined the personal, the political and the spiritual in their music.

Can't think of any more at the moment, but if you do Google searches on any of the above you can find out more!

Thanks. Yeah, I tried searching for some influences. In interviews and stuff, this is what I got: (NOTE: a lot are specific influences or themes behind songs, but I wasn't so sure about the musical side, so please fill me in to supplement the lyrical aspects)

1982 - Bono writing political songs influenced by the Clash (Sanity, Nov 98)

Specific song influences:

SBS - Edge wrote these but it doesn't give influence, just that it was inspired by how the people of Belfast were torn by religion and it's divisions(?)

New Year's Day - Lech Walesa

40 - Pass ...

Then during TUF:

ASOH - Samus Heaney and in The Guardian, Oct 13, 1995 states how it was Bono "trying to play around with Heaney's style a little bit"

Pride - a biography of MLK according to LA Times, Sept 12, 1993 "U2's Pride ... 'I Will Follow' to 'One'"

TUF - Adam claimed it was some Japanese paintings

More to follow... Oh please do add whether specific lyrical or musical influences or acts influencing the evolution of their music in various stages.

A Sort of Homecoming - the lyric "this bomb-blast lightning waltz" was lifted from the poet Seamus Heaney. I think this song was also partly influenced by the Irish poet WB Yeats - not so much specific lyrics but the style of it.

The Unforgettable Fire - the "Japanese paintings" referred to were exhibits based around the aftermath of Hiroshima/Nagasaki in the Chicago Peace Museum. The song is about nuclear war.

Pride is indeed about Martin Luther King.

SBS is about the Northern Ireland conflict and related religious divisions.

Actually what you should probably do is try and get your hands on a book called "Into the Heart - the Stories behind every U2 song" by Niall Stokes / Omnibus Press 1996. If you're based in LA I assume there's plenty of good book shops there with music sections so hopefully you'll be able to find it. Good luck!

financeguy said:
I think this song was also partly influenced by the Irish poet WB Yeats - not so much specific lyrics but the style of it.

I've read Yeats and what's amazing is everytime I read "Sailing to Byzantium" and explicate it, I feel like I've just listened to Beautiful Day all over again -- especially the song live, when Bono is repeating "the goal, the goal is soul." Interesting...

Not to toot our my own horn, but a site I host has a lot of great essays/ ideas people have written and contributed to just this very question.

Find it at U2Literary [dot] com

Still looking for "Bomb" literary references. Anyone?

We can't forget John Lennon as a major influence either? God Part II is a continuation of John's Song "God". Of course "Every artist is a thief..." is a direct quote from John Lennon. There are other songs as we know, live versions of Help, etc. Jeesh, I even heard Bono sing John's Norwegian Wood here in Seattle last month in concert. There is a big J.L. influence, which is a nice touch to an already diversified, complex and creative group.

Something we all forget at times is that Bono is part of U2, and he may be the obvious one out front, but the influence the other members have on him may be greater than we realize -- which is a good thing. For example, I've heard that Adam is next to Bono during most phases of Bono's singing/creating of a song, and Adam critiques it all the way through, even guiding him at times. The four legged chair comment that Bono always mentions may apply on an intellectual level as well.

Actually now you mention that, I remember an interview around the time of Unforgettable Fire methinks, and Adam spoke of usually being the only one in the studio listening to Bono singing or being there as he worked out the lyrics. He spoke about not exactly listening closely to every word Bono said and thinking if it made sense, but more the "colours and sounds" of the lyrics and if they fit.

Back
Top Bottom