Would you mind more piano-driven U2 songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silkensky

War Child
Going by earlier discussions here and just listening to U2's most recent albums, it seems Edge has hit a roadblock lately with his creativity on guitar. There hasn't been anything truly interesting since Pop, and lately he's mostly been on autopilot with his signature chimes, etc. So with that, would you mind U2 exploring more piano-driven tunes with a focus on melody and thoughtful, meaningful lyrics? Personally I think his playing on songs like Running To Stand Still, Miss Sarajevo, and even parts of Moment of Surrender are absolutely beautiful and haunting, so to be honest I'd love to see them try some more stuff like that again. Plus with the way Edge experiments with effects, it could be refreshing and different, only this time with more songs based around piano instead of guitar. I'm not implying that U2 should take the Keane approach, but maybe a 50/50 guitar/piano album.

If piano-driven means more shite like OOTS, then count me out.

Still waiting for that air triangle solo Bono never actually promised.

I don't think it matters as long as the music is good. I dont think an album of primarily piano driven songs would be a great idea though. I do not think that is where they are headed (although there may be a song or two with piano).

I do not get the OOTS hate. I think it is a good song, I especially liked the single edit and the Euro live version with Edge on guitar and Terry on piano. U2 fans, a lot of diverse opinions obviously.

Blue Room said:
I don't think it matters as long as the music is good. I dont think an album of primarily piano driven songs would be a great idea though. I do not think that is where they are headed (although there may be a song or two with piano).

I do not get the OOTS hate. I think it is a good song, I especially liked the single edit and the Euro live version with Edge on guitar and Terry on piano. U2 fans, a lot of diverse opinions obviously.

The single mix and the Every Mother Counts versions are both superior to the Bomb version imo.

The single mix and the Every Mother Counts versions are both superior to the Bomb version imo.

Count me as a OOTS-liker too. Those versions and even the Killahurtz version are eons being the album version though.

I wouldn't mind another piano-driven track if it's a good song. But I don't think they should give up on the guitar just yet by any means, and I'm not sure if it'd be accurate to say that Edge isn't being innovative anymore. Even if that were the case, I'm sure there are a hundred better ways to write songs with one than focusing on another genre all of a sudden.

When I think of "If I Could Live My Life Again" I picture it being a piano ballad. I'm hopeful that there is a heavy piano based song on the next album. I think it would go well with Bono's aged voice.

I don't think they will ever go 50/50 in terms of piano and guitar (The Edge needs to dream it up again though, and soon), but I like the more pop oriented current decade, and some of my favourite U2 songs feature piano.

So he'll dream it up again by using more piano?

What a spectacular reinvention!

I'm not a troll but I feel silly now for having asked this. What drew me to U2 in the first place was the sound of Edge's guitar in songs like Bad, ISHFWILF and many others. Maybe Edge just needs to lose the echo effect for an album or two and reapproach the guitar with the new producer on board? I love his delay sound, but lately it's been played out so extensively to the point that it sounds like he's copying himself (if that makes sense). Reconsidering this I wouldn't want a slew of U2 songs with only piano at the forefront, but one or two are always welcome to me. And I for one love the new OOTS. Back to the original idea, I was thinking something in the vein of "So Cruel" - there's more piano/keyboard in that song than guitar, and it's one of U2's finest pieces, IMHO.

silkensky said:
I'm not a troll but I feel silly now for having asked this. What drew me to U2 in the first place was the sound of Edge's guitar in songs like Bad, ISHFWILF and many others. Maybe Edge just needs to lose the echo effect for an album or two and reapproach the guitar with the new producer on board? I love his delay sound, but lately it's been played out so extensively to the point that it sounds like he's copying himself (if that makes sense). Reconsidering this I wouldn't want a slew of U2 songs with only piano at the forefront, but one or two are always welcome to me. And I for one love the new OOTS. Back to the original idea, I was thinking something in the vein of "So Cruel" - there's more piano/keyboard in that song than guitar, and it's one of U2's finest pieces, IMHO.

Sorry mate, I was referring to cobs saying Coldplay > Pavement.

Not sure about what a focus on piano would do for U2, hopefully they wouldn't just settle for something insipid like North Star.

I agree with a lot of that. Whether or not Edge is relying on the same tricks, I just want good songs in the end. A piano-driven or synth-driven album? No. But one or two tracks that maybe have something solid to show for it... anytime. Something in the vein of So Cruel would be more than welcome too!

Back
Top Bottom