Worst Song Survivor: The Late Eighties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your LEAST FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song(s).
The FIVE SONGS with the most votes go to the eighties semi final. DO NOT vote for songs you have not heard.

Welcome to Worst Song Survivor, a spinoff from Best Song Survivor v2 that shouldn't be taken too seriously. This is a quickfire tournament for shits and giggles, to see what Interference's least favourite U2 song is. The selection criteria was simple: every song that received 0-5 votes in the album rounds of Best Song Survivor v2 automatically qualified, while each album had to contribute a certain number of songs according to a seeding system - the less popular the album was in the latest Best Album Survivor, the more songs it had to contribute. Hence the appearance of some songs that exceeded five votes. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your least favourite tracks (within reason). Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

Due to weak polling, we might as well just skip any semi rounds and I'll just send the top five songs from each era to a grand final. Last round the top five were pretty bloody obvious. The War era fared worst, sending three of its five tracks through to the final. A ranking might not mean much, what with the even voting (plus I'm pressed for time and you can go look at the poll), but the finalists are Red Light, Boy/Girl, J. Swallow, Angels Too Tied to the Ground, and The Refugee. Is That All? missed the finals by a single vote.

For me, there are four songs here clearly weaker than all the others: Drunk Chicken, Trip, LRM, and Heartbreak Hotel.

I'm not a big fan of some others, like Deep in the Heart or Wave of Sorrow, but they're not down on the same level as those four. I hope 4th of July doesn't cop it in the voting. It's not one of the best tracks even in this round but it works on the album.

Also, last round it seemed some people didn't grasp the idea of "shits and giggles" or "just for laughs". Lighten up. Be thankful this isn't being run in the original drawn out Survivor format, like the first time a Worst Song Survivor was run around 2005 or so.

I don't get the love for Bass Trap. To me, it's like a U2 song that never even got half finished. Also, Wave of Sorrow (Birdland), as re-worked and included on the Joshua Tree remaster extra disc, is a damn fine song! I don't care if many on this forum think otherwise. It is a good song.

Bass Trap is a gorgeous instrumental, one of the best songs from the UF era. Goes great with Edge's solo track Rowena's Theme.

drunk chicken is the only answer. if you voted for anything else in this poll, you are 100% wrong. as wrong as wrong can be. it's literally the only thing by u2 i can't listen to.

Wave Of Sorrow
Desert Of Our Love
Rise Up
Drunk Chicken

...basically all the crap that was added on the special edition of the Joshua Tree.

I will never understand how some people dislike Van Diemen's Land. So beautiful! :heart:

Only 9% of the vote going to Trip is a pleasant surprise. It's always been a favorite of mine.

The new songs on the JT remaster suck.

This is a great example of why this was such a golden age for U2, even their worst songs are pretty good!

Apart from one of course, one that, to be fair, was probably mostly written only a few years ago, an awful song that sums up for me all the worst aspects of the worst more recent songs in their repetoir.

Please F. off Wave of Sorrow.

Love Rescue Me is probably the worst U2 album track from that era. As soon as it begins, I want it to fucking end. It's more bloated than the corpse of a dead whale.

None, I don't think any of these songs is really bad. I don't care for Love Rescue Me studio, but the 26/12/1989 performance is golden.

Beautiful Ghost(really never gotten a good feeling while listening, only frickin' horror movie associations!), Drunk Chicken, ARATHH, Halelujah

Wow, this is decisive.

Also, given how hard people rag on it whenever normal Survivor comes around, I'm surprised that When Love Comes to Town isn't raking in the votes.

What the heck is this?? A Rush Of Blood To The Head?

:p

A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel.

So went back and did my homework by listening to all of these tracks. I had forgotten how beautiful Bass Trap is. It's great to hear it again.

Anyway. I like the titles of Beautiful Ghost and Desert of Our Love more than I like the songs. Add Drunk Chicken/America to that and there's my list.

Nope. Wave of Sorrow is a great song!

I'll revise my statement and remove the "please".

F Off Wave of Sorrow.

I just find it to be one of the most boring, uninspired songs they've ever done.
Although Drunk Chicken isn't great either, it's just an extra thrown in, was never meant to amount to much. Wave of Sorrow was used to some extent to showcase the reissue/remaster of The Joshua Tree, and for that reason I judge it far more harshly.

It is definitely boring. Along the lines of Hands That Built America but I prefer the latter. It is nowhere near the greatness of the Joshua Tree.

Yeah, though THTBA is fairly dull I don't hate it, a bit like WITS, I'm glad they recorded it but I hope they don't do anything similar again.

Zero votes for Boomerang I. best result I've seen in a poll in a while...let that be a lesson to you all :wink:

I'll revise my statement and remove the "please".

F Off Wave of Sorrow.

I just find it to be one of the most boring, uninspired songs they've ever done.
Although Drunk Chicken isn't great either, it's just an extra thrown in, was never meant to amount to much. Wave of Sorrow was used to some extent to showcase the reissue/remaster of The Joshua Tree, and for that reason I judge it far more harshly.

I'll revise my statement and....nope. Not revising. Wave of Sorrow is a great Song!

Back
Top Bottom