Universal launched "High Fidelity Pure Audio" (U2 related)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoo Lemon

War Child
News date back to last Spring, but I learnt about this today.

If it's been discussed, close/delete the topic.

Universal launched the "High Fidelity Pure Audio" series for some of its titles.

In short, albums will be available on Blu-ray Audio with all the related benefits (higher audio resolution, multichannel options, etc.); some describe it as an attempt to re-catch some attention on physical supports after DVD-A's and SACD's weren't welcome on the market as many expected.

Some album titles by Universal are already available here: Pure Audio at Universal Music

I read on some audiophile forums (by googling) that U2 titles are next to this. Can't find the original article where this is mentioned though. If someone can help, it's appreciated, as I'd be kinda interested. I mean, now that many buy digital music, the only way to save the physical support can be focusing on the importance of the audio experience.
I have to underline I'm NOT an audiophile, but often had the chance to listen to high-res music from other artists, and I have to say I enjoyed and felt the difference.

I have many SACDs, SHM-CDs and the Grrr (The Rolling Stones) blu ray audio disc. Difference is huge and easily noticeable. But, again, the quality depends first on the mastering. No pure audio will save a bad mastering.

I have many SACDs, SHM-CDs and the Grrr (The Rolling Stones) blu ray audio disc. Difference is huge and easily noticeable. But, again, the quality depends first on the mastering. No pure audio will save a bad mastering.

I so agree on that.

Hmmmm. Putting out the U2 records in multi-channel audio would require entirely new mixes. Who is going to be doing this? Seems like if the back catalogue is going to be remastered in this way we'd have heard something about it.

I would not be surprised if the new record is released in some multi-channel format.

Hmmmm. Putting out the U2 records in multi-channel audio would require entirely new mixes. Who is going to be doing this? Seems like if the back catalogue is going to be remastered in this way we'd have heard something about it. I would not be surprised if the new record is released in some multi-channel format.

I doubt it would be remastered or multi-channel.

It would be a regular edition, but in blu ray, meaning less (or none) musical information lost.

The Grrr blu ray is all two-channel, whether DTS, dolby or LPCM.

I doubt it would be remastered or multi-channel.

It would be a regular edition, but in blu ray, meaning less (or none) musical information lost.

The Grrr blu ray is all two-channel, whether DTS, dolby or LPCM.

Well, that's not such a big deal. I'm not sure I see the point unless it's multi-channel. You can already download Achtung Baby on HD Tracks (which I have) in high resolution audio, and if that's all their doing, yeah, it wouldn't be such a big deal to use the new remasters.

But as it is, CD's are already lossless, and for the vast, vast majority of people that's more than good enough. Again, you can up the bitrates I guess if you used DTS-MA or Dolby True HD and stick it on a Blu-Ray, but unless you're offering something new, like multi-channel audio, I'm not so sure the marginal improvement in sound to 96/24 is really going to be much a motivation for people to buy outside audiophiles, who are convinced they can tell a difference (most of whom actually can't).

Even with multi-channel audio, I really don't see music on BD going anywhere, considering that the DVD, Super CD, etc. formats never really took off, and that physical media is dying.

Well, that's not such a big deal. I'm not sure I see the point unless it's multi-channel. You can already download Achtung Baby on HD Tracks in high resolution audio, and if that's all their doing, yeah, it wouldn't be such a big deal to use the new remasters. But was it is, CD's are already lossless, and for the vast, vast majority of people that's more than good enough. Again, you can up the bitrates I guess if you used DTS-MA or Dolby True HD and stick it on a Blu-Ray, but unless you're offering something new, like multi-channel audio, I'm not so sure the marginal improvement in sound to 96/24 is really going to be much a motivation for people to buy outside audiophiles, who are convinced they can tell a difference (most of whom actually can't). Even with multi-channel audio, I really don't see music on BD going anywhere, considering that the DVD, Super CD, etc. formats never really took off, and that physical media is dying.

It's a niche product. Always will be. Those formats are only really alive in Japan.

Did you ever listened to some Rolling Stones SACD? I reccomend Beggars Banquet (if Stones is your thing). Night and day difference. It's unreal.

Back
Top Bottom