U2 Still has a great album in them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I still disagree on that main point.

It wouldn't have been exponentially bigger, but still considerably bigger.

You're still undervaluing the band's place in music culture in 2014.

I don't think I am, Double Posting Donnie.

I think that by 2014 U2 were at a point where "THE YOUNGS" didn't care no matter what they released. And that's pretty normal for an old band.

Yeah, I mean, they released a pretty damn good song during the 2014 Super Bowl and it went nowhere with the exception of the young shits on Twitter talking about how Bono is the piece of shit from that South Park episode.

I don't think I am, Double Posting Donnie.

I think that by 2014 U2 were at a point where "THE YOUNGS" didn't care no matter what they released. And that's pretty normal for an old band.

The reason they did the apple thing was because attention wasn’t really on new u2 music , to appeal to the younger generation again ( plus they got paid a load of money to do it ) so I definitely agree with you in 2014 young people weren’t interested.

The apple project made them known to the younger generation but probably not the way they wanted to be known :)

If the attention on new material was the same as it was in 2009 then they wouldn’t have done the apple deal I don’t think

All though if I remember right SOE was the 6th biggest selling album of 2017 and the biggest seller for a band so the interest is still there in new material just not from the younger generation

The reason they did the apple thing was because attention wasn’t really on new u2 music , to appeal to the younger generation again ( plus they got paid a load of money to do it ) so I definitely agree with you in 2014 young people weren’t interested.

The apple project made them known to the younger generation but probably not the way they wanted to be known :)

If the attention on new material was the same as it was in 2009 then they wouldn’t have done the apple deal I don’t think

All though if I remember right SOE was the 6th biggest selling album of 2017 and the biggest seller for a band so the interest is still there in new material just not from the younger generation
Yes - because only THE OLDS buy albums.

I may be in the even smaller minority in that I actually like the album version

Yeah I don't mind the album version. The lyrics are kind of stupid, but so are Unknown Caller's lyrics right before it. I think musically it kind of fits in well with the first 4 songs in the verses, before blasting into an all-out "U2 anthem" in the chorus. It's not my favorite U2 song, but I never thought it deserved to be lumped in with GOYB and SUC, which are pure shit.

Yeah I don't mind the album version. The lyrics are kind of stupid, but so are Unknown Caller's lyrics right before it. I think musically it kind of fits in well with the first 4 songs in the verses, before blasting into an all-out "U2 anthem" in the chorus. It's not my favorite U2 song, but I never thought it deserved to be lumped in with GOYB and SUC, which are pure shit.
This is exactly where I stand.

As far as the next U2 album, I agree that they COULD make a great album. But they'll bog it down with "potential hits", that won't be hits at all because they're OLD. SOE I think performed as well as a band of old guys can do in 2017-18. Best Thing, GOOYOW and LIBTAIIW got some slight radio play, and broke through as much as possible.

I actually think SOI is a GREAT album, myself. IMO, it's pretty much perfect. "The Miracle" is not my favorite, and I would always include "Invisible", "Crystal Ballroom" and even "Lucifer's Hands" in the tracklist. SOE is a pretty good album, but I can't get into GOOYOW into American Soul that much. I was also quite disappointed in the album version of "Blackout" and "Little Things", compared to the versions that were available to us prior to the release.

I think we all knew that 2020 would be fairly inactive for U2, even before Coronavirus. Unfortunately, all work on the next album has probably halted, except Edge is probably in his personal studio creating new soundscapes all the time, and Bono would probably say he has 4 albums worth of songs already written. Like somebody else said, LiveNation will probably bench U2 for 2021 no matter what the plan ever was, due to the amount of 2020 tours from other bands that will be moved back to next year. I've always said the earliest we'll see U2 again will be an album in late 2021, and a tour in 2022-23. But now, I don't really expect that album until 2022 sometime. I can't see an Achtung Baby tour happening, unless we get into 2022 and U2 are nowhere near finishing their new album. Then they might say "well lets do some shows to get some money flowing!" I think the rumor is that U2 signed another contract with LN that will take them up to 2030. That doesn't mean U2 HAVE to tour until 2030.

Long story short: My prediction is new U2 album first half of 2022, tour 2022-24. I actually had a dream before Coronavirus that Larry told somebody in an interview that U2 wouldn't tour again until 2023. I remember thinking 2023!!!! WTF?!?! But now, it wouldn't surprise me.

A bit of self-awareness wouldn't go amiss at what made them great if they want to make another great album.

Why the band are so dismissive of everything from Zooropa to Pop is beyond me. Yeah I know Pop wasn't that well received but it's one of the most criminally underrated albums of all time and had a lot of depth and intrigue to it. They constantly shit on that era yet still look fondly and obsess at shite like I'll Go Crazy, along with all the other platitudinous Hallmark card inspired songs from the 2000s, despite it contributing to destroying their legacy, critical standing and furthering an insipid public image. From working with a legend like Johnny Cash to that coffee salesman Will.I.Fucking.Am. - the descent is noted even in their collaborations. Embarrassing.

They seem happy having gone from transforming from pioneering exciting rock band to Michael Buble.

Last edited:
a bit of self-awareness wouldn't go amiss at what made them great if they want to make another great album.

Why the band are so dismissive of everything from zooropa to pop is beyond me. Yeah i know pop wasn't that well received but it's one of the most criminally underrated albums of all time and had a lot of depth and intrigue to it. They constantly shit on that era yet still look fondly and obsess at shite like i'll go crazy, along with all the other platitudinous hallmark card inspired songs from the 2000s, despite it contributing to destroying their legacy, critical standing and furthering an insipid public image. From working with a legend like johnny cash to that coffee salesman will.i.fucking.am. - the descent is noted even in their collaborations. Embarrassing.

They seem happy having gone from transforming from pioneering exciting rock band to michael buble.

achtung buble?

A bit of self-awareness wouldn't go amiss at what made them great if they want to make another great album.

Why the band are so dismissive of everything from Zooropa to Pop is beyond me. Yeah I know Pop wasn't that well received but it's one of the most criminally underrated albums of all time and had a lot of depth and intrigue to it. They constantly shit on that era yet still look fondly and obsess at shite like I'll Go Crazy, along with all the other platitudinous Hallmark card inspired songs from the 2000s, despite it contributing to destroying their legacy, critical standing and furthering an insipid public image. From working with a legend like Johnny Cash to that coffee salesman Will.I.Fucking.Am. - the descent is noted even in their collaborations. Embarrassing.

They seem happy having gone from transforming from pioneering exciting rock band to Michael Buble.

Umm... they completely changed how Crazy Tonight was played on the tour from the album it was on and haven't touched it since. I'm not sure how that is looking back at it fondly. No Line songs haven't been played since 360 ended.

As much as Pop was shit on - Gone, Staring At The Sun, Discotheque and Please were played on the next tour. Staring at the Sun was played on E/I.

And their legacy was fine until the Apple Debacle. That did more in 24 hours to damage their legacy than the previous decade or music by a landslide.

Last edited:
This is a story that is completely unrelated to new music but at the same time sums up the issues with late period U2 and why they'll inevitably fuck up whatever comes next.

Last week SiriusXM launched 9 new artist channels out of the blue... David Bowie, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, George Strait, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Prince and the Rolling Stones.

Meanwhile the U2X radio station - which they needed to interrupt a concert to announce and get people's hopes up that there was significant news to report... is still non existent, in all likelihood because they are seriously overthinking every single angle instead of just letting go.

Nothing explains late stage U2 better than grand marketing activations surrounding an over thought and delayed product.

This is a story that is completely unrelated to new music but at the same time sums up the issues with late period U2 and why they'll inevitably fuck up whatever comes next.

Last week SiriusXM launched 9 new artist channels out of the blue... David Bowie, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, George Strait, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Prince and the Rolling Stones.

Meanwhile the U2X radio station - which they needed to interrupt a concert to announce and get people's hopes up that there was significant news to report... is still non existent, in all likelihood because they are seriously overthinking every single angle instead of just letting go.

Nothing explains late stage U2 better than grand marketing activations surrounding an over thought and delayed product.
I was gonna post same thing when I saw the 9 new channels.
How hard in this day and age is it to get this station up and running?
You can just start it with all the officially released material at your disposal and add in more stuff later for cryin' out loud.

Remember when U2 refused to let Harmonix use any of their songs on Rock Band 1, 2, or 3 until they got their own branded game?

So when they actually got their content added many moons later, it was like, way after Rock Band was no longer something people actively paid into.

Remember when U2 refused to let Harmonix use any of their songs on Rock Band 1, 2, or 3 until they got their own branded game?

So when they actually got their content added many moons later, it was like, way after Rock Band was no longer something people actively paid into.
Indeed.

It's sort of like when they had an album ready to go with a producer who was very much in demand without being corny ass pop shit, began the promotion process with a super bowl ad and a grand blow out Tonight Show appearance, and then proceeded to piss it all away because, I dunno, SONGS SONGS SONGS.

You would think with the whole world on lockdown and radio listening numbers going through the roof , you would have thought now would have been the best time to get it up and running [emoji2]

Something totally off topic , i was listening to best of 80-90’s today , streets came on. I thought just imagine next summer the world has got back to normal after the coronavirus. U2 decide to tour and they open with streets , just imagine it , brought a tear to my eye at the thought

Springsteen did have a song with a rap break on Wrecking Ball that was released as a single...
"Rocky Ground" was with some nobody, though, so it played off more like an old rock star trying new things than begging for relevancy by getting whoever is popular on the track. But it's all subjective, and as I said, rap by itself isn't the problem (much as I would prefer if rock bands on the AARP mailing list would cut it out with the rap already). Even well known guests isn't the problem. R.E.M. had KRS-One on "Radio Song" and it was great. The problem is that U2 is in a really, terribly, painfully uninspired place right now, and they need to find a way to break out of that or just admit to themselves and God and everybody that they're only putting out albums as an excuse to tour.

I was listening to "Disappearing Act" earlier from the Unforgettable Fire remaster, and it sounded like watered down Coldplay, which itself is watered down U2. I wish they would've just released the original instrumental rather than subjecting me to this musical homeopathy. I'm impressed Bono didn't sing "insert bullshit about love here" from his original draft of the lyrics by accident. It's so starkly out of place from the rest of the material that it's embarrassing. And (to continue a tangent) they dropped the lovely single version of "Streets" on the 30th anniversary Joshua Tree but left the awful original version of "Silver and Gold" (recorded with a friend of ours, Little Steven, who was putting together an album of artists against APART TIGHTS). Sometimes I wonder if this band ever understood what made them great or if they were like Wile E. Coyote and walking on air for twenty years until they finally looked down and fell.

Last edited:
And (to continue a tangent) they dropped the lovely single version of "Streets" on the 30th anniversary Joshua Tree but left the awful original version of "Silver and Gold" (recorded with a friend of ours, Little Steven, who was putting together an album of artists against APART TIGHTS).

as soon as i read "little steven" my brain instantly switched to bono voice. :lol:

...the awful original version of "Silver and Gold" (recorded with a friend of ours, Little Steven, who was putting together an album of artists against APART TIGHTS).
Back in Junior High School days, my friends and I, while shooting baskets on my best friend's home court, would make random "puns" off this hilarious mispronunciation of Bono's.

I think my best was, "Artists... against... a BAR-FIGHT!"

With all the bullshit that has happened in the world in the last decade, (and especially 2020) Bono should have plenty of material for new songs. Plus, maybe kick it Old School and stick with 1 producer.

An old Onion article from 1997 contains all the information U2 need to make a great album:

Members Of U2 To Stare In Different Directions

DUBLIN

In what many record- industry insiders are calling a return to the band's mid-'80s prime, members of U2 announced Monday plans to stare in different directions. Guitarist The Edge said he will stand slightly behind lead singer Bono and stare off to his right, as if gazing purposefully into an uncertain, yet hopeful, future. Bassist Adam Clayton will stare downward, burdened by the weight of injustices all over the world. Drummer Larry Mullen Jr. will look up, as if searching for guidance from a higher power. Lead singer Bono has still not committed to a specific position, saying, "That is a decision I can only make in the actual moment of artistic creation. But it'll be a different direction than the other three, you can count on that, brother!" The multi-directional staring is expected to take place atop a jagged, rocky peak.

I thought Edge’s guitar work on Innocence was fantastic. While he didn’t have new sounds per say, some of his solos/chorus parts were a complete departure, like California, Volcano, and Raised By Wolves.

I thought Edge’s guitar work on Innocence was fantastic. While he didn’t have new sounds per say, some of his solos/chorus parts were a complete departure, like California, Volcano, and Raised By Wolves.

I would add Sleep Like a Baby, and Crystal Ballroom

If they get back to writing like they used to - jamming - instead of relying on Bono & Edge they'd make a great album. Adam & Larry keep improving as players and their skill would push Edge to do more.

Back
Top Bottom