U2 is getting sued, accused of ripping off guitarist's song for "The Fly"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I submit that the opening of Nae Slappin is as similar to The Fly as Nae Slappin is to Stranger In a Strange Land, you know, from October in 1981, eight years before that demo was sent to Island. Seriously. If SIASL was done by this Rose guy, he would probably be suing U2 for that as well. It's just an arrangement not very unique in rock

Last edited:
I think the start of City of Blinding Lights has some similarities with "Streets". U2 should sue themselves. 80's U2 would make s**tloads of money. (Not to mention other bands.)

I remember this, though.

Was funny. All Bono did was snippet Walking Away a couple of times. More similar than this. Much more. And Walking Away was a huge hit, if I remember correctly.

Sarcasm doesn't always come across well in words on a screen, but are you trying to be funny here? Or serious?

Okay, I submit that the opening of Nae Slappin is as similar to The Fly as Nae Slappin is to Stranger In a Strange Land, you know, from October in 1981, eight years before that demo was sent to Island. Seriously. If SIASL was done by this Rose guy, he would probably be suing U2 for that as well. It's just an arrangement not very unique in rock

:up:

yeah it's as though he's never listened to the guitar work in early U2 :lol:

Sarcasm doesn't always come across well in words on a screen, but are you trying to be funny here? Or serious?

The first I said is obviously just a silly joke.

I now see that my post about One and Walking Away, misses the link to the video of Walking Away (I am sure I posted a link, so I am not sure why it's gone). The whole thing about The Fly just reminded me of the days when Walking Away was released and it struck me (and others) of how obviously similar it was to One. And Walking Away was much more similar to One, than The Fly is to this song. That was my point.

Last edited:
I now see that my post about One and Walking Away, misses the link to the video of Walking Away (I am sure I posted a link, so I am not sure why it's gone). The whole thing about The Fly just reminded me of the days when Walking Away was released and it struck me (and others) of how obviously similar it was to One. And Walking Away was much more similar to One, than The Fly is to this song. That was my point.

My impression was always that the only way a song could be challenged in court was if there was a lyrical or melodic similarity, rather than a straight up chord progression... although after the Blurred Lines ruling, who the heck knows now?

One and Walking Away both follow something similar to a Am-D-F-G progression in their verses, but melodically, I never really considered both songs to be similar (aside from maybe when either Bono or David sampled the other song in their own, of course). Plenty of songs sound similar just because of that reason though. Lady With the Spinning Head uses one of the most popular progressions of all-time, so that alone makes it sound like a ton of other songs alone.

I agree. I in no way meant that Craig David plagiarized U2. The original post just reminded me of those days, because the similarity of One and Walking Away was actually noticed by a lot of people back then (and more funny, some of the younger audience even thought U2 had copied Walking Away). But noone accused anyone of anything. U2 just snippeted the song a few times, and Craig David even made a mashup of the two songs. But I still think the similarity between One and Walking away are greater than The Fly and this song.

That horrible song only has that one guitar part that resembles Edge's screeching solo in the Fly. Other than that the dude's song is a horrible wank fest and bears no other resemblance to The Fly. I hope he fails miserably in court.

Listening to just the drum loop that he used makes me burst out laughing. I don't think he even assembled it correctly, because it sounds like it lasts 1 beat too long.

from the nae slappin video description:

Originally released as part of the Homework cassette album May 1991.

according to wikipedia, the fly was written during sessions in february 1991.

case fucking closed.

This just in:

Led Zepplin is suing the Edge for his guitar work the last 10 years.

I agree. I in no way meant that Craig David plagiarized U2. The original post just reminded me of those days, because the similarity of One and Walking Away was actually noticed by a lot of people back then (and more funny, some of the younger audience even thought U2 had copied Walking Away). But noone accused anyone of anything. U2 just snippeted the song a few times, and Craig David even made a mashup of the two songs. But I still think the similarity between One and Walking away are greater than The Fly and this song.

All good. I got what you were saying and I agree completely in terms of what's a bigger similarity.

case fucking closed.

U2's legal team could ultimately use some of us hardcores as witnesses, I think! :lol:

Originally released as part of the Homework cassette album May 1991.

case fucking closed.

To be fair, the guy's arguing that U2 would have heard his track on a tape he gave to Island in 1989. "Released May 1991" says nothing of when it was recorded, even if what we're hearing in this video is a later version or whatever.

Not that he's really got a case.

case fucking closed.

Ha.

Didn't even notice this.

I just listenend to both songs and YES they copied his song (The instrumental parts)

Pauls is better but they both sucked..... (Although I dont like much 90s+ music anyway (RAP and R&B is good though (HIP HOP IS UTTER GARBAGE (@ least todays -- 80s was good)))

I just listenend to both songs and YES they copied his song (The instrumental parts)

Pauls is better but they both sucked..... (Although I dont like much 90s+ music anyway (RAP and R&B is good though (HIP HOP IS UTTER GARBAGE (@ least todays -- 80s was good)))

That piece of crap song (I'm being generous by even calling it a song) is not better than The Fly.

Back
Top Bottom