U2 albums planned for 2009 remasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 360 Tour merchandise carrier-bags have a picture of the remasters on the back (including TUF) dated October 2009.

I would say, given the current album cycle, DVD, hopefully SOA as well, the timing fits for it to be TUF this year, R&H next year and AB 20th anniversary 2011. Given that the only other album that would be given an 'anniversary' edition would be ATYCLB, I would think that 2011 might be like 2008 with the Boy, october, war rush, and we may get AB on the 19th of Nov (day of the release), and Zooropa, and pop earlier in the year.

i hope they release rattle as remaster. you can;t just skip that. I mean they did October. I kinda want them sooner then later. they should do tuf,rah, this year for xmas season, and ab,zoo, and pop first half of 2010, and for the xmas season of 2010 atyclb,htdaab, and nloth . that would be great.

i hope they release rattle as remaster. you can;t just skip that. I mean they did October. I kinda want them sooner then later. they should do tuf,rah, this year for xmas season, and ab,zoo, and pop first half of 2010, and for the xmas season of 2010 atyclb,htdaab, and nloth . that would be great.
i sincerely doubt they'll remaster nloth. maybe atyclb and htdaab, but an album that just came out this year? plus i really doubt they are going to release everything that soon.

^ agreed. Part of the reason they are taking their time is to probably to justify actually doing the last 3 albums...

AB 20th anniversay in 2011. Can't see them releaseing many more than that by that time.

Pop will get the full treatment. (15th anniv in 2012???). ATYCLB may wait until a 15th anniversary too in 2015.

yeah, those dates seem very plausible. for pop, i'm hoping they go in and re-record the album so they'll finally have that finished product they've been wanting all these years. now i absolutely love pop the way it is, but i just hope by its remaster that they either give us the product they've wanted to (in addition to the original album remastered of course) or can finally make peace with how the album is.

i'd love to see them re-record and add it as a bonus disc with the pop remaster, but them re-recording pop requires them to actually play the songs, which they're not able to do if the last 12 years are anything to go by
downsrim.gif

i'd love to see them re-record and add it as a bonus disc with the pop remaster, but them re-recording pop requires them to actually play the songs, which they're not able to do if the last 12 years are anything to go by
downsrim.gif

I'd still rather listen to the original Pop disc than a re-recorded disc unless they do a really spectacular job with the latter, but if that would lead to more Pop songs on setlists, then FUCK YES.

i was kidding about nloth being remastered in 2010. but at the same time, wouldn't it be funny if they did. They would be like "yea, we feel can use advanced mastering techniques that weren't available in 2009 for a better sound". lol.

lol. hopefully they remaster best of 80-90 and 90-00 and u218,lol. in addition to all 12 albums, in fact they should release SOA remastered before the regular version comes out.

lol. hopefully they remaster best of 80-90 and 90-00 and u218,lol. in addition to all 12 albums, in fact they should release SOA remastered before the regular version comes out.

Or, they could just master albums properly in the first place so that they don't need remastered. (Isn't it suspiciously coincidental that these remasterings tend to happen around anniversaries?)

Or, they could just master albums properly in the first place so that they don't need remastered. (Isn't it suspiciously coincidental that these remasterings tend to happen around anniversaries?)

... You don't understand what a remaster is eh?

Ofcourse they are released around anniversaries, it's to celebrate the album! Remastering means that techniques to master an album that are around now, BUT not around at the time the album was made, will be used to produce better sound.

I can't wait for AB and Pop.

Ofcourse they are released around anniversaries, it's to celebrate the album! Remastering means that techniques to master an album that are around now, BUT not around at the time the album was made, will be used to produce better sound.

I don't know about producing better sound. Remaster ≠ better sound (nowadays it's often quite the opposite). But remaster (and especially anniversary remaster) = sales. That's the bottom line for the record company. Fans can always hope that it also includes better sound (or bonus tracks) for them.

That said, the sound of the U2 remasters isn't bad at all. So that's a relief.

I can't wait for AB and Pop.

Yeah, I know what the point of remastering is, don't worry. I should've used a symbol to display my irony. My take on the whole thing is that they are purely marketing exercises, which is fair enough. But if the music can be made to sound better while doing so, then why not take the opportunity? Also, although some of the U2 releases have been better than the others, they are a useful way of rounding up the songs connected to a particular era. I'm curious to see what DVD content will be on TUF deluxe version - the JT equivalent's concert was an unexpected choice, so maybe TUF will follow suit and come packaged with something other than the 1984 Dortmund show.

On a sidenote, if there's a super deluixe version of R&H, many are rightly hoping for a complete Lovetown show. I'd be happy with that, but as an alternative, what about better quality versions of some of the R&H outtakes that have been circualting for years? What about a complete version of either the Denver or the Tempe concerts in the film? The colour footage in particular from that film is amazing, and a certain Mr Hamilton could take a few tips about how to shoot a concert film from that...

I actually prefer the original u2 cds to the remasters, JT aside. They sound more like the vinyl releases. October in particular bothers me. It's not as punchy.

UF will probably be pretty awesome though.

They could turn UF up so loud that there is enough distortion to make the drums sound like vocals and it would still be awesome. Not much can be done to hurt the sonic amazingness of that album.

Back
Top Bottom