Tour Delay Theory: Trump and the Elections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it just me or is Bobos statement of "idea of America" just getting really old at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Is it just me or is Bobos statement of "idea of America" just getting really old at this point?

It is getting stale. Perhaps Bono should go on a bus tour of Middle America to understand how we are losing the idea of America.

I would hardly describe it as stake, if you hear it the way I do. It is, and seems always like it has been, the way Bono somewhat cryptically can either criticize or condone the state of the US, depending on the context, without stepping on toes.

In fact, this is probably the first time he really ever took an obvious swing. And even in doing so, he wasn't necessarily direct about it. He beats around the bush.

I think the video before they took the ZooTV stage and the nightly phone calls to The White House may have been interpreted as stepping on toes a bit...

Oh hush old man (some young punk I am for mocking thou of brotherly age).

I was meaning new U2. Like, not cool U2. Post-2000, when the only thing Bono did was talk about how America is an idea.

It is getting stale. Perhaps Bono should go on a bus tour of Middle America to understand how we are losing the idea of America.

A long time force feeding of the regurgitated junk food that is American Exceptionalism will do that to you. They're waking up hungover and someone removed the blinders realizing they never understood the idea of America.

No it's not just you.

Agreed :up:

Equality for all is not losing the idea of America, just because you were happier when it was only equality for some doesn't change that fact.

Just read this entire thread and

HurrjOo.gif

This morning Bono on CBS had some tough words about Donald Trump: (U2's Bono on social activism and 2016 race - Videos - CBS News)

"America is the best idea the world ever came up with. But Donald Trump is potentially the worst idea that ever happened to America. He hijacked the party and is trying to hijack the idea of America."

"I have a voice and I can tell Americans that whoever sits in that office really affects everyone is this world"

Say what you want, I still think U2's delay had something to do with our elections. He can't come to our Arenas, and keep his views quiet. He would talk and pi*s of half his audience.

No. Delays are as they haven't gotten there shit together and finished the album. There is a history of album delays dating back to Pop.

And they learned from Pop, you don't book tour dates until you know your album is ready, and last minute recording and mixing won't interfere with tour planning and rehearsals.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

how are we "losing" the "idea" of America?

i'm really curious to know.

My guess is that Bono does not like the immigration/refugee rhetoric coming from Trump.

Goes against his view that we are a welcoming place and a beacon of freedom for all peoples.

My guess is that Bono does not like the immigration/refugee rhetoric coming from Trump.

Goes against his view that we are a welcoming place and a beacon of freedom for all peoples.

Again, the delays in touring have nothing to do with socio-political issues.

The record isn't done. Simple.

Again, the delays in touring have nothing to do with socio-political issues.

The record isn't done. Simple.

I was responding to another persons question specifically about Bono and his American Idea he was critical of.

I know the album delay has nothing to do with Trump. I wish it was out to counteract the election anxiety.

I was responding to another persons question specifically about Bono and his American Idea he was critical of.

They were asking you about your comment how middle America already feels they are 'losing' the idea.

A thing or two I've picked up over the years is...always trust U2's crew over U2. All first hand accounts from their crew indicate the band have nothing seriously planned until 2017.

Plus they haven't registered 'Songs of Experience' as a domain name yet. Once they do that, then we'll know its on :happydance:

(this is a friendly mod reminder that this thread is not the place to discuss and debate the merits of the 2016 US election and associated issues. If it turns into that, it will be closed.)

Even if the U.S. Election is the talking point of the world for the next couple of months or so... does this explain the need to delay tours of other parts of the world? They could revisit Europe, and this upcoming Southern summer could have been a prime opportunity to hit up Australia and New Zealand for dozen or more shows.

I feel that there has been some substantial work on the new material, which could drop in the next 6 months.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Remember when everyone in these forum made fun of my Trump/U2 delay theory? Yeah... good times.

We now know it had some effect. Adam Clayton's words not mine.

Remember when everyone in these forum made fun of my Trump/U2 delay theory? Yeah... good times.

Except you said they didn't tour because they don't want to get involved... which would be false. It clearly seems as if they DO want to get involved and mix it up... the opposite of your reasoning.

Remember when people were intelligent enough to go back and read your original post and see that's not what you said?

Good times :up: I miss those days.

Back
Top Bottom