The Guardian's Top 40 U2 songs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Guardian newspaper has today published it's top 40 U2 songs.

Other than Get Out Of Your Own Way it's actually a quite well thought out list with some interesting choices.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/may/21/u2s-40-greatest-songs-ranked

Yeah, very interesting list. A lot i agree with and am glad to see (Sleep LIke a Baby, Mofo, The Fly, UTEOTW, Ultraviolet, Zooropa, The Troubles, NLOTH etc...) , and a lot I don't (Stuck, Sometimes You Cant..., Get Out, Invisible, Playboy Mansion (of all songs to pluck off of Pop)

But this is a MUCH more diverse and thoughtful list than I think I've ever seen.

Imagine being able to get your list in the Guardian, and the song you single out from SOE isn't The Little Things, Red Flag Day, Love Is Bigger...but Get Out aka anthem-on-autopilot.

I love their song Red Hill Mining Town. And the video does the song justice, too. If you've never seen it, do watch it on YouTube.

A great underrated song. Trip Through Your Wires is also great. They have some real gems on the table.

I love their song Red Hill Mining Town. And the video does the song justice, too. If you've never seen it, do watch it on YouTube.

A great underrated song. Trip Through Your Wires is also great. They have some real gems on the table.

They have crumbs on that table too.

It's an interesting list and Alexis Petridis does seem to, at least be a fan of U2, which is more than you can say for most Guardian readers, hence the comments. Granted, the UK has always had a messy relationship with U2.

I do enjoy that he covered their whole career, which would be tricky for some people as they might be hard pressed to include anything post-1997. For what its worth, I think 21st century U2 has given us some absolute gems.

Some cool picks in this list include North and South of the River, The Troubles, NLOTH & Playboy Mansion.

I'd be inclined to include The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Fast Cars, Cedars of Lebanon, Sleep Like a Baby Tonight and Red Flag Day, just for starters.

Nonetheless, I can't imagine what my top 40 would look like, though scrolling through some of the comments, it was welcoming to see some U2 defenders. One commenter pointed out that for whatever one thinks of U2, even with all their missteps, they have a pretty impressive back catalogue...perhaps even one that many bands would dream of having.

Last edited:
It's an interesting list and Alexis Petridis does seem to, at least be a fan of U2, which is more than you can say for most Guardian readers, hence the comments. Granted, the UK has always had a messy relationship with Bono,

Fixed that for you.... ? I’d wager 99/100 people who hate U2 will say its because of Bono. I tend to find even those who aren’t fans at all, will admit to (grudgingly) liking a period of their music - whether its the early stuff, Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby - its never anything past AB for those sort of people.

Its an interesting list with some deep cuts and I’m sure at some point there will be a reassessment of just how good U2 have been and how consistently great they were for very long periods of time. I’d even argue now that they’re putting out much better material than we have any right to expect from a band who’ve been around since the late 70s and whose lineup is unchanged.

Back
Top Bottom