Ranking U2 albums after 1 year SOI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can remember back in '93, after listening to Zooropa several times, I was guilty of skipping Babyface, The First Time, and The Wanderer. :shifty:

1) No Line on the Horizon
2) Unforgettable Fire
3) Joshua Tree
4) All That You Can't Leave Behind
5) October
6) Zooropa
7) Rattle and Hum
8) Achtung Baby
9) Songs of Innocence
10) War
11) How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
12) Boy
13) POP

Achtung Baby

Joshua Tree

Zooropa

SOI

The Unforgettable Fire

Pop

Rattle and Hum

Boy

War

October

No Line on the Horizon

All That You Can't Leave Behind

How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I realised that, but how can anyone have NLOTH as the best U2 album ever.. like, that shit isn't even up for discussion

It's not on top for me, but certainly 2nd place. Haven't connected with an album like that since I listened to AB for the first time. Loved it instantly, everybody kept saying it was just the novelty and would wear off, but it never wore off. Still love that record to death, it only has one dud for me (Cedars), if they had replaced that with NLOTH2 it would have been a serious contender for first place for me.

The Joshua Tree

Achtung Baby

The Unforgettable Fire

Zooropa

War

Boy

Songs of Innocence

Pop

Rattle & Hum

No Line on the Horizon

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

October

I love NLOTH to death as well, but it's not quite top-tier for me. More like:

Achtung Baby
Zooropa
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
No Line on the Horizon
Pop
War
Rattle & Hum
Original Soundtracks 1
Boy
Songs of Innocence
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
October

That Pop is so divisive is one of the most heartbreaking things as a U2 fan for me. Every time I think about it, hear it, talk about it, whatever, I'm shattered that it is considered this flawed, "unfinished" mess. I think that's criminal. It isn't perfect (fuck there's probably like three albums ever that are perfect) but it was the last time that U2 were a band that was fucking cool and creative and great and sexy and challenging. And I say that as a gigantic, unabashed, passionate fan of ATYCLB.

That Pop is so divisive is one of the most heartbreaking things as a U2 fan for me. Every time I think about it, hear it, talk about it, whatever, I'm shattered that it is considered this flawed, "unfinished" mess. I think that's criminal. It isn't perfect (fuck there's probably like three albums ever that are perfect) but it was the last time that U2 were a band that was fucking cool and creative and great and sexy and challenging. And I say that as a gigantic, unabashed, passionate fan of ATYCLB.

:up:

I was 19 when Pop was released and it was the moment I went from a regular U2 fan to a crazy-obsessed-must have everything U2 related fan so I know I am biased towards the album in many ways. I would not say it is their best Album, Achtung and Joshua Tree co-hold that distinction imo but it is hands down my favourite album and it also really bothers me the lack of respect it gets from both fans and the band itself.

Yeah, it's the lack of respect that bothers me. If it ain't your fav thing, fine. But I've seen a lot of people here over the years just totally disregard it and it is really undeserving of that. Kinda feel like they'd be the same people who complained when Dylan pulled out an electric guitar at Newport in 1965.

Yeah, it's the lack of respect that bothers me. If it ain't your fav thing, fine. But I've seen a lot of people here over the years just totally disregard it and it is really undeserving of that. Kinda feel like they'd be the same people who complained when Dylan pulled out an electric guitar at Newport in 1965.

I like your analogy. Pop will always be a polarizing album among U2 fans. That's something you're just gonna have to accept. I've always been into dance music be it freestyle, house, techno, etc. I always dug U2's remixes of songs long before Pop was released. So, when U2 released Pop, I was loving the direction they were going in with the album. A number of 80's era U2 fans weren't exactly enamored with it. They dug Achtung Baby and even Zooropa, but Pop went too far for them. We all know the story. They just ran out of time because Paul had already booked the tour and they had to get ready for that too. Considering the circumstances and the rusty start to the tour, things turned out pretty well in the end. The album sold decently (although, not up to U2 or their fans' lofty standards :wink:) and by the middle of the tour, the band were performing on all cylinders. Sure, there were some kinks along the way, but there aren't too many tours that go smoothly.

When they "dreamed it up all up again" :wink: with ATYCLB, they made music that was more palatable for old school fans as well a whole new generation of younger fans. No easy feat.

Expectations have been adjusted such that The Miracle and Song For Someone aren't considered major gaffes anymore. If either of those songs were on Zooropa, they would be the most boring songs on there.

I find "The First Time" to be one of the most bland/boring songs U2 has recoded, much more so than SFS....but perhaps that is just me.

Pop was the first U2 album that I counted down the days until it was released. I wanted to love it but I just didn't connect.

As far as "unfinished", yes the band made comments and I don't always agree with them but in this case I did.

Here are two pain points for me:

IGWSHA- when I heard it I liked it but didn't love it. My first impression was it was too quiet and you couldn't really hear Bono in the bridge at the very end. Then they release the single and fixed that....I wish the single was on the album

Please- the album cut was very meh for me. Yes the lyrics were very good but the melody wasn't grabbing me. Then the strings single was released and it was awesome...again, wish it were on the album. I also think they released an edited single that sounded "sharper" than the album cut that I liked

For the record, they did the same thing with ABOY in that the single was a better cut than the album....IMO

I actually like Zooropa more than AB :reject: and NLOTH more than HTDAAB and ATYCLB (and probably JT if I'm being honest) :reject:

I actually like Zooropa more than AB :reject: and NLOTH more than HTDAAB and ATYCLB (and probably JT if I'm being honest) :reject:

How dare you be honest? :madwife:

Naturally, we aren't privy to the internal soundtrack of your life. If one album brings you more joy or elicits fond memories, then good for you. For nearly the last 30 years, U2 has been a major part of the soundtrack of my life. The good parts and the bad. I'll use Zooropa as an example. I can remember coming home late at night and not being able to fall asleep. I'd start playing Sega Genesis to get me drowsy and while I was playing the game, I'd put my headphones on and listen to Zooropa. I'd usually listen to the whole album before I finally got tired. :wink: Good times! :up:

Back
Top Bottom