Chris Rock compares new HBO Special to Rattle and Hum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What? do we have another "Rattle and Hum"-Version in Europe?

There is no scene in Rattle and Hum like this.

What? do we have another "Rattle and Hum"-Version in Europe?

There is no scene in Rattle and Hum like this.

He was probably referring to When Love Comes To Town (though that one doesn't switch between locations like US and Wembley, but it does switch from three different versions of the same song).
:)

I saw this comment on TV too. First, I was impressed that Rock saw R&H. Then again, given the love for MLK, BB King and Billie Holiday that was showcased on that album and film, it's not too surprising. One of the founding members of this website was a black woman who grew to love U2 because of "Angel of Harlem". To paraphrase her words, she said she couldn't relate to them before, but did after R&H.

I was puzzled as to the scene he was discussing. I thought my memory had faded. I guess it's really Rock's memory that faded. Either way, it's a nice idea and I think he could pull it off well. Plus a U2 plug is always good.

I saw this comment on TV too. First, I was impressed that Rock saw R&H. Then again, given the love for MLK, BB King and Billie Holiday that was showcased on that album and film, it's not too surprising. One of the founding members of this website was a black woman who grew to love U2 because of "Angel of Harlem". To paraphrase her words, she said she couldn't relate to them before, but did after R&H.

I was puzzled as to the scene he was discussing. I thought my memory had faded. I guess it's really Rock's memory that faded. Either way, it's a nice idea and I think he could pull it off well. Plus a U2 plug is always good.

I'm not so sure it was the love given those figures on the film that got black people into U2 per se, but it sure could have played a part. I have some friends who knew U2 from hearing Pride and WOWY on the radio in Jamaica, just by way of example of how widespread they were even before R&H. Were you referring to Interference about one of the founding members of the site? That's interesting, I never knew that.

I don't think Rock was being literal when he said how the scene cut from Wembley to a rooftop in Harlem, he was sortof embellishing his memory of the movie and how it told a story of performances in different venues and how he wanted to create that effect in the comedy genre. What I did think was cool and that hasn't been mentioned yet is the correlation between how different audiences reacted to the same songs by U2 - I know he didn't out and out state it but it seemed to have inspired him - and how when he travelled different audiences around the world reacted to the same jokes...it was sortof a "one" reference, I think he said something to the effect of 'what are we fighting for' or something. I think it will be a good movie, for sure :up:

Back
Top Bottom