Bono and Edge play with BB King: When love comes to town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FUCKING BRILLIANTTTT!!!!!

Am I the only person who leaped out of their chair at 4:22 (of the originally posted video on the first page) when they really revved it up? Oh man that was frickin AWESOME! I danced my ass off until the end!!!

:drool:

:rockon:

that's nuts, I'm sorry. That part was sheer brilliance.

That's the way BB King and his band play it at their shows. They opened their show in San Diego last year with the song and BB gave lots of :up: acknowledgement to Bono. I still can't believe we saw this last night!

That was just brilliant :drool:. I really wish they'd bring that song back live, it's really underrated but I guess it just wouldn't sound the same with BB on it, still a really awesome performance.

Am I the only one who thinks his voice sounds really strained through the first verse? :reject: He sounds good through the rest, and I love the energy of it--it'd be awesome to see this one back in the setlist. I'm also digging the fact that RedRocks & others who were there are saying that B was in top form. :up:

In other news, will this be aired on TV GAGA? :hmm:

475-20081027_bbking_08standalonepro.jpg

+

61-20081027_bbking_12standaloneprod.jpg

=

02ic6.jpg

:wink:

Really great to hear the song again, live. As for Bono's voice, it's amazing how good he's become at phrasing. His voice is incredibly suited for soul music now....almost like he's got a brand new voice. The way he extends his pitch and accutely phrases the words is something he never was able to do when he could really belt it out. We should really just enjoy his new voice, because it is unique, and be thankful we have that voice to listen to. I can't wait for the new album!

Very nice. I never thought we'd here that again... first time since the end of the Zooropa leg. Maybe it'll end up on the new tour once in awhile... it's a great song.

Or, maybe it's a sign that more rarities are coming on the tour. :drool:

Am I the only one who thinks his voice sounds really strained through the first verse? :reject: He sounds good through the rest, and I love the energy of it--it'd be awesome to see this one back in the setlist. I'm also digging the fact that RedRocks & others who were there are saying that B was in top form. :up:

+

=

02ic6.jpg

I don't get it :reject:

+

=

02ic6.jpg

Even I don't understand this!

hi all,

I was there on Sunday, I was part of the production crew working on the taping, I will keep you all posted about its air dates as I am also a part of the post process on it.

All I can say is that watching them rehearse that song with BB early on was one of the greatest things I have ever seen. You could see how much fun Edge and Bono were having, it was very apparent. BB was also having a great time. It was truly a once in a lifetime kinda thing and everyone there knew it... by the end of the rehearsal the entire stage was ringed by incredible musicians all watching and listening. Herbie Hancock was playing piano, wayne shorter was playing in the horn section. It was unbelievable.

I will post back when I know more about the airing... you will all want to see it!

hi all,

I was there on Sunday, I was part of the production crew working on the taping, I will keep you all posted about its air dates as I am also a part of the post process on it.

All I can say is that watching them rehearse that song with BB early on was one of the greatest things I have ever seen. You could see how much fun Edge and Bono were having, it was very apparent. BB was also having a great time. It was truly a once in a lifetime kinda thing and everyone there knew it... by the end of the rehearsal the entire stage was ringed by incredible musicians all watching and listening. Herbie Hancock was playing piano, wayne shorter was playing in the horn section. It was unbelievable.

I will post back when I know more about the airing... you will all want to see it!

Great post! Which company was doing the filming? PBS?

It is a company that does work for The Thelonious Monk Institute, which was the host of the event. I believe it will air on PBS, but that is absolutely not confirmed yet, so please don't take that as any thing other than what I suspect right now.

dbinteract, great post! :up:

It must have been soooo cool to watch the rehearsals.

Thank you for keeping us updated with the airings, I would love to see this in good quality.

i think edge was better than the 80's and bono's too, with a mature voice, the song get to other level.

hi all,

Sounds amazing! You helped preserve a bit of u2 history! Thank you so much for the info. Can't wait to see it. Do you know if a dvd is going to be available? That would be cool.

Was that the BB King orchestra playing with them, or another band ?

It wasn't BB's band. It was some of the greatest jazz musicians alive. Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock and most of the others.

Back
Top Bottom