ABC NEWS: Bono injured in rehearsal, undergoes emergency back surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it was the silly GOYB dance or the wheelmic or the zoo station karate kick.
It probably was a long way coming and I think they tried to treat it without surgery as long as possible, but that didn't work out, so an operation was inevitable.
Not planned as they had wanted to solve the problem in another way (as they knew a surgery would probably put the tour in jeopardy) and therefore when surgery was needed, it was dubbed "emergency" as it was not planned / unexpected.

Not sure about that. The story on u2.com implied he injured himself during tour preparation. I interpreted that to mean that he injured himself during a workout session, (not necessarily rehearsing) but some other type of workout. His past back problems probably made him more prone to a serious injury anyway. I don't doubt he tried to see if it would get better without surgery, but I assume the doctors he consulted didn't think whatever he injured would heal on it's own.

Last edited:
^ either way, if it was something that was ability threatening, or lengthy recovery or anything like that, the tour would have just been cancelled. It indicates that it probably was a reaction to something he did in tour prep, but it could have been a lingering problem that they thought was under control, but he aggrevated it.

we'll know soon enough, but the rumour about the SLC claw moving to minneapolis is a great indication that they expect him to recover, and recover fairly quickly

Or this one. I mean, that can't be good for one's back:

september.jpg

Canceling 6 months of shows is no small thing. I can imagine them slow walking doing it, or even admitting to themselves that they have to.

But again, his health is all that matters. I don't want him up there again until he's ready.

Benji, perhaps what you're saying is correct from a professional point of view, but I think that we, profans, talk about an emergency surgery when it is not schedulled, in thatneurosurgeon

sense I had an emergency back surgery some years ago, I'd had a slipped disk for some time and I was sorting it out with physiotherapy, but one day after a quick movement I don't even remember, it rotated and I collapsed in violent and great pain, I couldn't move so I was carried to hospital and they decided to operate immediately and not risk further damage. I don't know about Bono's problem, but I hope it is this kind of scenario and no the one you're talking about.

Anyway, I'd like to wish Bono a total recovery and tell him not to worry about the tour, I've got several tickets and I'll be ready for the concerts whenever he feels OK, I want him healthy and happy, I can wait.

Yes, I understand that. I think I mentioned it somewhere. Regardless, if he had a surgery, considering a long history of back problem's, and it happened during some sort of activity during some training session resulting in a N.Surgeon taking he case, he has had a surgery. If they were going to operate, his Dr would have gone for a long term fix, not a patch to get him on a stage in a week . His Dr is a very good One ( not the Calf Cheek blood "Dr" ) and it would make more sense to fix the problem and heal properly , rather than risk hurting it again, which then, you are talking a major procedure that may not work.

The training was most likely was some sort of supervised PT to try to relieve the problem, which is the right way to go . Sometimes though, that stops or doesn't work . Maybe you hurt it again. The more you tear things up, the fewer options you have . At some point, you have to make the choice and maybe it was just that time. The options become more limited the longer the problem, and with age.

This touches a lot of people, but it is worth it to be careful and do this right. The dates can be rescheduled . Yes people work and get paid for the jobs, and people bought tickets, and such, including me, but personally , I would rather see him in Miami feeling better and not in pain, than see him go through it in pain. He and the band have more music in them . It's not worth the risk. 6-8 weeks min for recovery, and that's pushing it for something this big and physical .

I sure hope he isn't shooting calf's blood !!

Not sure about that. The story on u2.com implied he injured himself during tour preparation. I interpreted that to mean that he injured himself during a workout session, (not necessarily rehearsing) but some other type of workout. His past back problems probably made him more prone to a serious injury anyway. I don't doubt he tried to see if it would get better without surgery, but I assume the doctors he consulted didn't think whatever he injured would heal on it's own.

We don't know (and don't have to). So we all interpret/speculate. Each in our own way.

I didn't necessarily think rehearsing either. And I'll admit I only skimmed the message on u2.com and actually missed the bold part : "for an injury sustained during tour preparation training".

But if what really happened is that Bono had a glass too many to drink and stumbled over the curb and that was the last straw for his back, my bet is we would have still gotten "for an injury sustained during tour preparation training" as that is what they want you to believe.

Yes, you can call me skeptical.

All I know is that I want Bono and U2 at their best. And if Bono needs a year to recuperate, then so be it.
I know back/neck pain and have the surgery to prove it. It's no walk in the park.
So, whatever the cause, whatever the reason, whether he was walking and fell off a curb or off his barstool, I don't care. I want our B-Man to get better, follow the doctor's instructions, follow PT, and hopefully get back to us and the rest of world. He has the gift of a great voice, and I so want to hear him and his band mates play to us again.
I have a feeling that they won't let us down.

And btw, that's one cute cartoon! I think Edge is bopping down the slide and yeah, Bono looks like he's heading for another round!

PS - Tickets and concerts dates can always be sorted out. Our lives and how we live them is another thing we get only one chance.

Sad, I hope the problem is not a bad one. With all the stuff he tries to do for the would it's too bad he has to suffer through this. :depressed:

Anaheim was going to be my first U2 show and I was lucky to get GA field tickets.

I totally agree that I realley hope he does not try to come back early and injure himself even worse which could lead to retirement.

I hope when the tour does start back up there is some way to keep my ticket spot since I doubt I could score them again.

I know you're being sarcastic, but maybe this is the right time to say that these shoes, which many consider to be very ugly, are actually benefitting Bono's back.

Actually, in my opinion, I can't see how platform shoes can help your back. I think they would be detrimental..... sort of like high heeled shoes for women.

....and you are right. They are ugly.

Actually, in my opinion, I can't see how platform shoes can help your back. I think they would be detrimental..... sort of like high heeled shoes for women.

....and you are right. They are ugly.

I mean the "creepers". Fans hate them, but they are healthy for the back.

This surely didn't help either...I remember cringing at this and wondering why people found it so funny at the time. Poor guy... ouch. You know he is in pain.:sad:
YouTube - BONO FALLS OF STAGE

It was 2.5 songs into the opening night of the elevation tour. Adreneline would cover any possible pain. There was no evidence of back pain that entire tour considering some of Bono's antics/crowd interaction.

I have not heard of Bono having any back issues prior to early 2003. This video was hardly the first time he'd ever fallen badly on/off a stage.

In the above video that part of the stage is only about 4 feet high and Bono looks like he landed on his feet in some form.

There's other falls on video: Dublin 85/Werchter 83 or 85/arm sling 1987 incident/Europe 1992 fan shot show

Tough time as he has other issues such as financial that would have been helped by the tour. Great singer/writer, person who cares about people, but well known for being the worst investor in the world. He has made, many, seriously bad investments over the last few years. He should let Warren mange his finances . Bill and Warren would bail him out though...Seriously, that is another issue he has to face.

Did Bono put much money into Spiderman?

If those creepers actually are beneficial for his back, then .... could it be .... he actually DOES need the sunglasses because of light sensitivity and it's not some BS rock star response? :ohmy:

(For the record, as someone whose eyes have gotten much more sensitive to light in the past year or two - leading to migraines - I'm starting to lay off my ribbing about the sunglasses.)

I'm actually talking about the high rubber soles at the bottom of his shoes. Not the shoe style. Not the possible orthotics that could be in them. I'm talking about the high rubber soles he wears so that he doesn't appear shorter than everyone else. Methinks they can't be good to walk around in. Then again, I'm not a podiatrist.

... but do you play one on TV? :wink:

I have Danskos that have a thicker sole - they're in no way "high heels," they're built for comfort and walking, but I swear, I stumble in them way more than you'd think.

Maybe I'm just a klutz. :reject:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom