10 years ago today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senrab

Refugee
I wrote this already on FB, but I figured I should post it here...since it's how I found this site:

10 years ago today, I saw U2 for the first time. It was in Hamilton, ON and my dad went with me. I remember him parking in an abandoned gas station because he didn't want to pay for parking, and taking me to Swiss Chalet before the show. He insisted the lead singer of the opening band (Shirley Manson, Garbage) looked like k.d. lang. Arun V. played guitar and sang People Get Ready with Bono. While Dad sat down for the whole thing, he remarked later that he couldn't believe that many people knew the words to every song. Still, thanks Dad. Lucky me.

[my dad died in August of the following year]

That's so great that you got to experience that with your dad! :hug:

I was just thinking that ten years ago today was when I bought ATYCLB, my first U2 album.

I wrote this already on FB, but I figured I should post it here...since it's how I found this site:

10 years ago today, I saw U2 for the first time. It was in Hamilton, ON and my dad went with me. I remember him parking in an abandoned gas station because he didn't want to pay for parking, and taking me to Swiss Chalet before the show. He insisted the lead singer of the opening band (Shirley Manson, Garbage) looked like k.d. lang. Arun V. played guitar and sang People Get Ready with Bono. While Dad sat down for the whole thing, he remarked later that he couldn't believe that many people knew the words to every song. Still, thanks Dad. Lucky me.

[my dad died in August of the following year]

Lucky you indeed! Can you remember what is was like? Honestly, I can't remember much of both shows I have gone to--I was totally lost in the music.

Lucky you indeed! Can you remember what is was like? Honestly, I can't remember much of both shows I have gone to--I was totally lost in the music.

Yes, I can remember a lot. It was right after 9/11, Bono held an American flag (I think it was Arun's) after Sunday Bloody Sunday and sang When Will I See You Again. We were in the absolute last row of the nosebleeds but it was a loud show, I could still hear it in my ears the morning after. I remember the guy sitting next to me saying that the only reason the show was in Hamilton instead of Toronto was because there was a Leafs game at the ACC the same night.

Also, it was the first and last time I've heard Bad live. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom