Zooropa vs Da Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa vs Da Bombdiggity

• Zooropa

Votes: 114 47.9%
  • How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Votes: 124 52.1%

• Total voters
To clarify, I never meant to imply that an album only has to have a theme in order to be great. If Zooropa didn't have the solid songs on it that it does, the theme would mean very little. Having a theme isn't the be all and end all when it comes to making a good album. It simply makes it that much better when combined with great songs. I think that if HTDAAB had have been a little more lyrically and musically cohesive, it could have been a classic.

I will if I can get ahold of that song. The only song I've heard off Physical Graffiti is Kashmir. Me & that song don't get along.

Actually, I do like a few LZ songs. Just felt like contributing.

HTDAAB is one of my least favorite U2 albums, but I enjoyed the songs live and would rather listen to it than a LZ album, personally.

MrBrau1 said:
121 to 109.

The better record is winning.

:rolleyes:

If anybody ever says again that the 90s fans are the only people that state opinion as fact, here's proof against that notion!

namkcuR said:
Are we seriously comparing Bomb to the White Album and Physical Graffiti now?

Is anyone seriously going to contend that there is anything on Bomb that is even in the same stratosphere as Dear Prudence, Glass Onion, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Martha My Dear, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Piggies, Rocky Racoon, Julia, Helter Skelter, Revolution 1, Honey Pie, The Rover, Houses Of The Holy, Kashmier, In The Light, Bron-Yr-Aur, Down By The Seaside, etc?

You pro Bomb voters say that the Zooropa voters are using the 'tired' 'Bomb doesn't have a theme' arguement, but you fail to take into consideration two things: One, most of the world's objective rock music fans will rank the White Album and Physical Graffiti on a different plain entirely than Bomb(just look at the songs I listed), and two, you are just as guilty of using the 'it's more consistant' arguement over and over and OVER AND OVER as the Zooropa voters are of using the theme argeument. What does that even MEAN anyway(it's more consistant)? That a higher percentage of songs on Bomb than on Zooropa are what you would consider 'good'? If so, some of us would rate Zooropa FAR more consistant.

For the record, I don't think an album HAS to have a theme to be good either. But I DO think that whether an album has a theme or not, the songs have to be good. That's the difference between the White Album and Physical Graffiti, and Bomb.

Well-The post which mentioned these records did not compare them to HTDAAB. It merely listed examples of great albums w/o central concepts or themes. Thus dispelling the notion that a concept was needed to be a great record.

The only person comparing HTDAAB with The White Album or Physical Graffiti is you.

MrBrau1 said:

Well-The post which mentioned these records did not compare them to HTDAAB. It merely listed examples of great albums w/o central concepts or themes. Thus dispelling the notion that a concept was needed to be a great record.

The only person comparing HTDAAB with The White Album or Physical Graffiti is you.

Even just associating the three records with the same category constitutes comparison. The only difference is that I compared songs and the other person didn't.

namkcuR said:

Even just associating the three records with the same category constitutes comparison. The only difference is that I compared songs and the other person didn't.

You have a funny mind.

namkcuR said:
Is anyone seriously going to contend that there is anything on Bomb that is even in the same stratosphere as Dear Prudence, Glass Onion, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Martha My Dear, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Piggies, Rocky Racoon, Julia, Helter Skelter, Revolution 1, Honey Pie, The Rover, Houses Of The Holy, Kashmier, In The Light, Bron-Yr-Aur, Down By The Seaside, etc?

I'd much rather listen to Bomb than any of that stuff you just listed. None of your list really inspires a great deal of interest or excitement in me.

Now that I've signed my own death warrant, I'll go stand against the wall. The queue to shoot me begins at the table on the right; please ensure you bring your own firearm or other weapon of choice. Free cake will be available outside.

Axver said:

I'd much rather listen to Bomb than any of that stuff you just listed. None of your list really inspires a great deal of interest or excitement in me.

Now that I've signed my own death warrant, I'll go stand against the wall. The queue to shoot me begins at the table on the right; please ensure you bring your own firearm or other weapon of choice. Free cake will be available outside.

:lol:

At least you have a sense of humor about it, man. :up:

Axver said:

Is that a fact? or your opinion?

Since you haven't spelled it out for me in giant capital letters, I can't tell.

It's your OPINION that you prefer listening to HTDAAB over selected Beatles/Zeppelin songs?

or

It's a FACT you prefer listening to HTDAAB over selected Beatles/Zeppelin songs?

Please clarify.

MrBrau1 said:

Is that a fact? or your opinion?

Since you haven't spelled it out for me in giant capital letters, I can't tell.

It's your OPINION that you prefer listening to HTDAAB over selected Beatles/Zeppelin songs?

or

It's a FACT you prefer listening to HTDAAB over selected Beatles/Zeppelin songs?

Please clarify.

It is a fact that I, the individual Axver, prefer to listen to HTDAAB over selected Beatles/Zeppelin songs when choosing music to play on my music playing technology of choice. However, it is my opinion that HTDAAB is better to listen to than selected Beatles/Zeppelin songs.

Happy now? :wink:

Axver said:

It is a fact that I, the individual Axver, prefer to listen to HTDAAB over selected Beatles/Zeppelin songs when choosing music to play on my music playing technology of choice. However, it is my opinion that HTDAAB is better to listen to than selected Beatles/Zeppelin songs.

Happy now? :wink:

That about does it for me. Others may need further explanation.

But I think that we should play it safe, and qualify each post, by each user, using the method I used above, to determine whether the post is FACT or OPINION.

It's the only way to avoid the confusion that has risen out of these poll threads.

Axver said:
Satan invented rock and roll to lure us into darkness.

then who's Chris Martin?

his fruity little minion of death, destruction, and sales on JCPenny's? :shrug::wink:

but seriously, The Bomb IMO is not in the same stratosphere as the Zeppelin/Beatles albums mentioned because it's not groundbreaking material in any way shape or form, not even by U2 standards. It's still better than like 75% of the music that came out between 2004-2005.

Zooropa was their "I don't care what people think we're making this fucking album" album, and that's probably one of the main reasons people love it so much. It's because they want to see U2 take on that mentality again, myself included.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

then who's Chris Martin?

his fruity little minion of death, destruction, and sales on JCPenny's?

Chris Martin is a very ambitious little demon, yes.

namkcuR said:
Are we seriously comparing Bomb to the White Album and Physical Graffiti now?

You pro Bomb voters say that the Zooropa voters are using the 'tired' 'Bomb doesn't have a theme' arguement, but you fail to take into consideration two things: One, most of the world's objective rock music fans will rank the White Album and Physical Graffiti on a different plain entirely than Bomb(just look at the songs I listed), and two, you are just as guilty of using the 'it's more consistant' arguement over and over and OVER AND OVER as the Zooropa voters are of using the theme argeument. What does that even MEAN anyway(it's more consistant)? That a higher percentage of songs on Bomb than on Zooropa are what you would consider 'good'? If so, some of us would rate Zooropa FAR more consistant.

For the record, I don't think an album HAS to have a theme to be good either. But I DO think that whether an album has a theme or not, the songs have to be good. That's the difference between the White Album and Physical Graffiti, and Bomb.

read before you rant dude. i never compared HTDAAB to any of those albums. i only used them as examples of records that are collections of songs rather than an album with a common thematic element. my point was to show that albums that are generally thought of as great can be song collections. i could have picked a shitty album as an example, or something super obscure, but the point wouldn't have been as strong. are you getting all this? i thought it was obvious.
personally, i happen to love a few songs on HTDAAB. lately i've been listening to 'miracle drug' and 'cobl' (and 'zooropa and 'babyface' for that matter - i am a u2 fan after all) way more than 'custard pie' or 'sexy sadie' or 'the continuing story of bungalow bill'. i have been listening to 'exile on main st.' quit a bit.

Axver said:

Chris Martin is a very ambitious little demon, yes.

I got the Live 8 DVD for Christmas. I had to laugh at the way the entire crowd stopped moving the moment Coldplay took the stage. :lol:

GibsonGirl said:

I got the Live 8 DVD for Christmas. I had to laugh at the way the entire crowd stopped moving the moment Coldplay took the stage. :lol:

:lmao:

my favorite part is Chris Martin's yelping at the end of 'In My Place'

you tell me that isn't one of the most unintentionally funny things ever

LemonMacPhisto said:

:lmao:

my favorite part is Chris Martin's yelping at the end of 'In My Place'

you tell me that isn't one of the most unintentionally funny things ever

Oh my Lord. I almost pissed myself when that happened. Then skipped to the next artist to spare my ears. :lol:

I could watch Pink Floyd's performance again and again and again. :drool:

GibsonGirl said:

He clearly needs to work on his demonic powers then.

Otherwise Satan will feed him to Head Demon Bono.

GibsonGirl said:

Oh my Lord. I almost pissed myself when that happened. Then skipped to the next artist to spare my ears. :lol:

I could watch Pink Floyd's performance again and again and again. :drool:

I need to watch that tonight :drool:

and Axver, behind Bono's glasses are his Heat-Vision Smiting Demon Powers

kind of like Cyclops from The X-Men

LemonMacPhisto said:

I need to watch that tonight :drool:

It is absolutely perfect. When you hear that heartbeat at the beginning, followed by intro to Breathe...well, it makes you die a little. In a good way. They stole the show, there's no doubt about it. I can't believe I didn't get the chance to see it when it came on TV.

Roger Waters' voice has deteriorated quite a bit, but Dave Gilmour still sounds pristine. It was thrilling to see the two of them sharing the same stage again and obviously enjoying themselves, despite Rogers' vocal problems. Roger seemed to enjoy himself more than Dave, but Dave looked pretty emotional too. I swear he looked like was going to shed a tear when they started.

And those guitar solos. Oh man. :drool:

This is completely unrelated to this thread, but I just listened to the bleeps at the end of Zooropa followed by the sirens at the beginning of the BYC edit of Lemon. Fucking cool. :drool: Try it!

Back
Top Bottom