Your eyes make a circle............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giant Lemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Your eyes make a circle
I see you when I go in there

Any thoughts about what Bono is referring to in those lines? The "you" is probably his mother, so is he looking at a photo of her? And why is it that her eyes make a circle? I realized today that I've heard IWF hundreds of times but never once stopped to think what he was talking about here.

Last edited:
Maybe it's something about eyes drawing a person in...it's like they make a circle around you...no matter where you turn and look, you see a person's eyes, which are windows to their soul.

Bonochick said:
Maybe it's something about eyes drawing a person in...it's like they make a circle around you...no matter where you turn and look, you see a person's eyes, which are windows to their soul.

Good theory, Bonochick!

P.S. Cute avatar! :happy:

I always felt that as sort of a "circle of life" thing. Where Bono sees his own eyes in his mother's. And regardless of her walking away from, he will always "follow" her. Maybe, when he looks deep into his own eyes, he can always see his mother's. Very deep lyrics for a 19 year old to write.
:bono:

I agree with Bonochick about this.

It's interesting what Bono did on the Elevation tour singing those lines. I think it started on the 3rd leg and he would sing "I see you when I come in here" and he would motion to the heart. Sometimes he would say "We see you when we come in here." and i loved how he changed that line, it indicated to me such intimacy with his fans. As if they see the *souls* of the people in the audience. It's especially powerful when he sings before it "You've changed............. you've changed me" to the audience. :)

yeah - I see it as a comfort thing that he has lost when he lost her so early in life.

more of a metaphorical thing.

a place he can never go, and has not been able to go for a very long time.

every time he sings it I get the chills....

Back
Top Bottom