You gonna keep defending the recent actions of U2 after reading this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think U2 have been badly advised, business-wise, over the past few months. U2.com has been a disaster, at least for paid memberships, and the band themselves ought to make an apology rather than stay quiet and act like nothing is wrong.

I haven't subscribed to the web-site, neither have I forked out $xxx for the "Complete" U2 on i-tunes. I'm sorry but both smack of greed from a band who have had '£500' of mine and tens of thousands of others money over the years. I think it is disgraceful that fan-sites have been hit with letters from lawyers especially after all the quotes from the band about not minding people swapping bootlegs.

Right now the U2 business - which used to be about as clean as you get in the music biz - has dirtied its image. The band need to take responsibility. They need to grab the managers behind the scenes by the scruff of the neck and get their act in line with the message the band themselves portray - one of inclusiveness. Don't let bumped up little shits in suits destroy your relationship with your fans.

Last edited:
I agree with complaints regarding Boston DVD (what's the point of being the first in line if someone else gets ahead of you?), whether it was U2's management, TV company that was recording the show, whoever.

I am still not sure why the lyrics and the guitar tabs are missing. How was that in any way damaging U2 and their music? :huh: Management should say something about it.

As for U2.com and the pre-sale mess, I am sorry for all those who gave out the 40 USD and got no tickets. I would say while U2's management is somewhat to blame for picking such a badly organised company, the blame lies even more on Fanfire/Ticketmaster for handling the pre-sale so badly.

My main issue with their touring (apart from skipping so many countries when they tour), is the ticket price. I had passed on the Elevation tour because I thought the price was a bit much. I don't think Zoo TV or Popmart were cheaper to pull of than Elevation and this tour, and yet the prices keep going up.
165 USD? 85 GBP? 85 EUR?

Last edited:
My main gripe is with the ticket price. Pure and simple. £85 + booking fee for a seat is just outrageous.

I'm not too angry at the band with the pre-sale. In europe at least, since the venues are so big, I'm pretty sure that in almost all cases, when someone got through they got decent seats, or GA access.

The ticketmaster/fanfire problem isn't directly the bands fault, ticketmaster is the only game in town, and prop had to be replaced as it had fallen into disrepair.

However, I will take serious issue with the UK ticket prices, we're paying far, far here than in any other country in the world to see U2, its disgraceful.

in the states the mark up on tickets has not been that bad. In the UK we've not been that lucky, taking the exchange rate into account we're paying almost $100 (£55) for a standing ticket. In comparison, REM's cost for an outdoor gig is $65 (£35).

There's no excuse for the cost of these tickets, also we weren't informed of the cost until we actually got on to the ticketmaster site yesterday. So my four standing tickets came to the almighty total of $418.49 (£226) which is obscene for a stadium concert and far more than bands such as Oasis, Stereophonics et al have been charging for outdoor concerts. That's in Scotland where the average wage is £21,000 pa, the cost per ticket is even higher down south. The only other comparable rates have been the Rolling Stones and the Eagles, two bands notoriously not in it for the music.

It seems like U2 are out to gouge as much money as possible out of the European and UK market. Which is disgraceful.

firstlove said:
well, I can see people having problems and getting angry with u2.com and ticketmaster. but what bother's me is that people are accusing the band members of something they may not have control over. we should be getting mad at PM! the promoters, the people in charge of the websites, BUT not the band. Edge, Bono, Larry and Adam (I'm sure) do everything they can for us! I'm rejoicing over the fact that the prices are low (yes, I'm saying they're low!), AND the best seats in the house are the cheapest! how would you like going to some concert where floor tickets are $200?? we should be happy that we are fans of a band that cares. they do they're best, but sometimes the best's not good enough.

In short: COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!!!!

:applaud:

Well said! :yes:

As I wrote in my earlier post, I'm not sure how much the actual band members of U2 have to do with this. For example, in your job, do you have control over every decision? Heck, does the CEO have control over every decision?! My belief is that the band were responsible for hiring Paul McGuinness, for writing the songs and for helping with the stage/tour design. After that, McG takes over. He, PM and the label are then responsible for everything else. So if Edge wrote, "why are you contacting U2 fan sites about lyrics" he's probably bombarded with a room full of lawyers stating how "illegal" that is.

U2 is a corporation, for better or worse, as are many bands. The U2 band members can control their look, their music, their album covers and their stage designs. That's actually a lot. Many artists, especially more "manufactured" ones, don't control any of that. You think N'Sync controlled how they looked or what they sang?

So instead of attacking U2, perhaps it's time to go after U2's management. I doubt U2's goal is to make as much $$ as possible, as Jick claims. Rather, I think it's the management's goal to make as much $$ as possible - with the members of U2 getting their share as a result, even if they don't control it. Therefore, write PM. Contact Paul McGuinness. Bombard U2.com with e-mails. Write Sebastian Clayton. But at this point, I'm still hesitant to blame the actual band members.

As a side note, I disagree with the sentiment that only "good-looking" people were chosen for the Boston DVD shows. I've watched the DVD - those aren't exactly the best looking people I've seen. ;) Furthermore, I know people who were featured on the DVD standing at a primo spot at the tip of the heart - one of them is the HR department at my company! She's a sweet person, but not exactly a model. :wink: Perhaps some people right in front of the line didn't get to the stage, but they did get into the heart. Yet, this wasn't good enough for these fans - they only wanted the best, even though they ALWAYS were in the front (these were groupies who followed U2 on tour and were always at the front of lines). There was NEVER any guarantee that waiting in line or having a certain spot in line promised you a primo spot in the heart (or at the tip). The GA ticket promised you a floor spot. Waiting in line was the fan reaction to getting a good spot on the floor, but it was never a guarantee. Having attended some Boston shows, I found the fan reaction there highly selfish and downright mean. So I blame the fans, not U2, for that one.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

Well said! :yes:

As I wrote in my earlier post, I'm not sure how much the actual band members of U2 have to do with this. For example, in your job, do you have control over every decision? Heck, does the CEO have control over every decision?! My belief is that the band were responsible for hiring Paul McGuinness, for writing the songs and for helping with the stage/tour design. After that, McG takes over. He, PM and the label are then responsible for everything else. So if Edge wrote, "why are you contacting U2 fan sites about lyrics" he's probably bombarded with a room full of lawyers stating how "illegal" that is.

U2 is a corporation, for better or worse, as are many bands. The U2 band members can control their look, their music, their album covers and their stage designs. That's actually a lot. Many artists, especially more "manufactured" ones, don't control any of that. You think N'Sync controlled how they looked or what they sang?

So instead of attacking U2, perhaps it's time to go after U2's management. I doubt U2's goal is to make as much $$ as possible, as Jick claims. Rather, I think it's the management's goal to make as much $$ as possible - with the members of U2 getting their share as a result, even if they don't control it. Therefore, write PM. Contact Paul McGuinness. Bombard U2.com with e-mails. Write Sebastian Clayton. But at this point, I'm still hesitant to blame the actual band members.

As a side note, I disagree with the sentiment that only "good-looking" people were chosen for the Boston DVD shows. I've watched the DVD - those aren't exactly the best looking people I've seen. ;) Furthermore, I know people who were featured on the DVD standing at a primo spot at the tip of the heart - one of them is the HR department at my company! She's a sweet person, but not exactly a model. :wink: Perhaps some people right in front of the line didn't get to the stage, but they did get into the heart. Yet, this wasn't good enough for these fans - they only wanted the best, even though they ALWAYS were in the front (these were groupies who followed U2 on tour and were always at the front of lines). There was NEVER any guarantee that waiting in line or having a certain spot in line promised you a primo spot in the heart (or at the tip). The GA ticket promised you a floor spot. Waiting in line was the fan reaction to getting a good spot on the floor, but it was never a guarantee. Having attended some Boston shows, I found the fan reaction there highly selfish and downright mean. So I blame the fans, not U2, for that one.

That selective picking of beautiful people was down to the TV company who were controlling entry to the heart that night. The show was being relayed live at halftime during some basketball game and 1) they couldn;t have the heart so full and 2) TV company chose who entered.

ahmedadam said:
I think U2 have been badly advised, business-wise, over the past few months. U2.com has been a disaster, at least for paid memberships, and the band themselves ought to make an apology rather than stay quiet and act like nothing is wrong.

Why do people always blame U2's advisers or management? Is their love for U2 that obsessive? Come on people - advisers or managers or whatever - what they give are recommendations. U2 are U2. They make the final call on everything.

Cheers,

J

Thank you very much for the Letter. It´s about time someone draw the line:heart:

Muchas gracias por la carta. Ya era hora que alguien dijera las cosas como son :heart:

I´m so glad these Hypocritical bussiness men won´t come to Chile

Saludos desde Chile :wave:

doctorwho said:

I have been thinking about this and do believe that U2 would never intentionally hurt their fans. Heck, here they are - getting on with the tour even though one of them has a sick family member. It's amazing that they have decided to still tour! So it seems unfair that they are being attacked right now and I feel awful about it.

However, it is time for them to take action and find people to manage the corporation that is interested in the fans as well. If they continue to keep things as they are and continue to let their management disappoint the fans - they really are responsible. If we complain directly to management - it appears to have no results - so perhaps it's time that the band heard of the issues loud and clear.

Bottom line, if your employees aren't upholding the image that you want to portray - it is time to find new ones to do so. You can't continue to blame the bad employee if you don't take steps to make them a good employee (or no employee!). Who you pick to manage things for you ends up being a reflection of you.

I believe U2 is not responsible for the mess, but U2 is responsible for fixing the problems.

firstlove said:
well, I can see people having problems and getting angry with u2.com and ticketmaster. but what bother's me is that people are accusing the band members of something they may not have control over. we should be getting mad at PM! the promoters, the people in charge of the websites, BUT not the band. Edge, Bono, Larry and Adam (I'm sure) do everything they can for us! I'm rejoicing over the fact that the prices are low (yes, I'm saying they're low!), AND the best seats in the house are the cheapest! how would you like going to some concert where floor tickets are $200?? we should be happy that we are fans of a band that cares. they do they're best, but sometimes the best's not good enough.

In short: COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!!!!
That's not true. In Belgium, GA-tickets were 85 euros. The most expensive seats were 70 euros.

BostonAnne said:

I have been thinking about this and do believe that U2 would never intentionally hurt their fans. Heck, here they are - getting on with the tour even though one of them has a sick family member. It's amazing that they have decided to still tour! So it seems unfair that they are being attacked right now and I feel awful about it.

However, it is time for them to take action and find people to manage the corporation that is interested in the fans as well. If they continue to keep things as they are and continue to let their management disappoint the fans - they really are responsible. If we complain directly to management - it appears to have no results - so perhaps it's time that the band heard of the issues loud and clear.

Bottom line, if your employees aren't upholding the image that you want to portray - it is time to find new ones to do so. You can't continue to blame the bad employee if you don't take steps to make them a good employee (or no employee!). Who you pick to manage things for you ends up being a reflection of you.

I believe U2 is not responsible for the mess, but U2 is responsible for fixing the problems.

namkcuR said:
LINK HERE

The crack first started during the Elevation Tour, during the Boston Show. Die-hard fans lined up all night long to get the best General Admission in the house, right up on the stage. No one thought it was their due to have that ticket because they were the biggest fan - they bought the ticket and stood in line all day and all night to have the #1 spot. This show was a little different - it was being taped for the DVD - and right before the gates came open something happened. People came out and began picking people - pretty people, young people, to go to the front of the line. Can you imagine how that felt to the people who have been your fans for years? Who stood in line all day to get that spot? You're not good enough, not pretty enough for the video. That was the first time, to me, it was not for Love, it was for Money. You see the result of it in that DVD, when half the heart sits down for part of the show. Sour grapes? Maybe. But a betrayal from a band we trusted.

Now you know how I felt at Depeche Mode when I was denied to meet the band 'cause I was not as hot as the other girls or had nicer tits.

namkcuR said:
LINK HERE

The crack first started during the Elevation Tour, during the Boston Show. Die-hard fans lined up all night long to get the best General Admission in the house, right up on the stage. No one thought it was their due to have that ticket because they were the biggest fan - they bought the ticket and stood in line all day and all night to have the #1 spot. This show was a little different - it was being taped for the DVD - and right before the gates came open something happened. People came out and began picking people - pretty people, young people, to go to the front of the line. Can you imagine how that felt to the people who have been your fans for years? Who stood in line all day to get that spot? You're not good enough, not pretty enough for the video. That was the first time, to me, it was not for Love, it was for Money. You see the result of it in that DVD, when half the heart sits down for part of the show. Sour grapes? Maybe. But a betrayal from a band we trusted.

BTW, i threw away my U2 boston DVd after hearing that 'cause I honestly thought that those people in the front were fans who waited forever to see their favorite band.

I don't think U2 are totally responsible for the pre-sale ticket fiasco, but they are responsible for who they hire to run their management company. They should be aware of how disappointed the fans are. My heart really breaks for many of you. I'm refraining from attending any shows during the first leg of the US tour due to some personal issues. But this whole fiasco is not sitting well with me at all.

The main gripe that most people seem to have (although there are clearly a number of them just reading through that letter), is with regard to Tuesdays presale.

No member of U2 is to blame for this. Neither is Paul McGuinness. The U2.com team are not to blame for this. It's really unfair of long-term fans to be pointing the finger at any of these people. The fiasco that many people encountered including myself, although I did eventually succeed in getting tickets (but I know what its like to miss out), was down to a third party - Ticketmaster, and even then its a fairly understandable problem - we all know the demand for U2 is like no other band on the planet, and whilst technology/internet is great and we've all become accustomed to getting exactly what we want, when we want it, there are times when things won't go your way. It's just life.

I can understand the viewpoint that says well U2 and PM are ultimately responsible, as they are at the top of the tree, and that they should kick Ticketmaster/Fanfire into shape. But at the end of the day, it was just one of those things that was out of U2's hands. I'm sure tha band didn't want any of this.

I think certain people posting in this thread should get some perspective. Tickets will still be available on general sale, and even if you still miss out theres always ebay etc, or fans on here who will want to swap or sell. Put it this way, I've never failed to go to any concert that I've wanted to attend, which runs well into double figures, and haven't really had to go to any extremes to get hold of those tickets, even if it means chancing my luck on a fan or a tout selling outside the venue. And even if you *still* miss out, well yeah, sure its disappointing, of course it is, but its not the end of the world is it? And yes, I'm a hardcore fan and have been for the best part of 20 years now, so I'm not taking any fans disappointment lightly. But please, a bit of perspective, a U2 show is nothing in the grand scheme of things, and if anyone thinks it is, then they have a problem. The news from Asia over the past few weeks alone is surely evidence enough that there are more important things in life to get upset over.

With regards to Fanfire. Another 3rd party. I'm sure the band didn't envisage such problems when they chose Fanfire, and certainly wouldn't have wanted the problems that have occured. With the sheer size of such an operation I imagine it would have been totally unfeasible for U2 to have managed this kind of thing themselves. So anyone who is fed up of the problems with Fanfire, blame Fanfire, contact Fanfire and let them know of the problems you've had, make sure U2 know about the problems you've had with Fanfire and hopefully U2 will kick them into touch if Fanfire haven't sorted themselves out. But don't blame U2, they've got better things to do with their time and lives than oversee and deal with every last intricacy of a 3rd party operation.

Last edited:
I actually thought the majority of the people in the heart on the DVD were bloody ugly...!

i've never noticed the people sitting in the heart... i'll have to go back and look again.

and frankly... ummmm... i'd give my left nut just to have been inside the heart in the first place. so yea... that sucks. they were passed over. but shit... the people inside the heart shouldn't be the ones pissed off... the people OUTSIDE the heart who didn't even get close to the stage after waiting for hours... THEY should be pissed off. the other people should be mildly annoyed.

and i didn't notice if anyone in the crowd was hot or had big tits or whatever... i was too busy watching the band.

for the past several years now my *love* for u2 has come with a slight sadness of sorts.....

sad because i remember the early years: the clear heartfelt messages in their songs, the earnest deeds, the clear love & appreciation for the fans......the list could go on.

sad because i don't really see any of this now. diluted messages in songs that virtually leave the drummer out ? hand picking the "pretty ones" for a dvd? exploiting, in my opinion, 911 during the last tour? sadly - the list could go on as well.

now - understand - this band has literally taken me through the ups & downs of my 37 years - their music seems to have always been in the backdrop of my life....verses of particular songs bring back flooding memories of an old boyfriend & how much i so loved him. good times with friends, singing at the tops of our lungs......

but.........it seems when bands get this big - it creates a monster of sorts, a runaway freight train.....who's fault is it really?

if the madness was too much, too against what they believe & stand for, too fake, too out of hand, too money hungry, too shallow..........

couldn't they just end it with two words......it's over.

sadly (and i mean SADLY), it makes me really wonder.

have to agree with the more recent posts.. seems to be turning into a U2-gate mini drama... huge demand for tickets was always going to be an issue! I imagine there are more than just members of interference who are members of U2.com! I eventually got 2 tickets and yep it cost me a fortune. But I look at the cost of other concerts and its pretty much consistent. A bit of perspective would be good!!!

My personal opinion is that some people have gone overboard in their complaints and are overly dramatic as well as provinding unnessary fuel for the haters.... WITH THAT SAID, it's not just new screennames complaining that I've noticed... there are some old school Interferencers, as well in the mix, who are just as pissed off and vocalizing and I tend to be much more open towards there comments.

People have the right to gripe and IMO there have been actual wrongs done to fans IMO(dishonest advertising, the Ticketmaster screw ups with the canceled passwords, the passing of the buck, etc.). The way big corporations/ businesses are, stuff like this gets swept under the table and people are none the wiser except for the people who get burned. IMO the extreme anger (vocal/ active) should get people's attention in U2's camp and hopefully bring about change, which is what I hope for and why I'm not against the whining and would contribute (except I didn't sign up for the bogus U2 membership :(:shifty: ) . However, spam-whining gets annoying as heck.

I wish there was this large of an outcry when the lyrics and guitar tab arcvhives got shutdown on a lot of sites. :(

Last edited:
Party Boy said:
have to agree with the more recent posts.. seems to be turning into a U2-gate mini drama... huge demand for tickets was always going to be an issue! I imagine there are more than just members of interference who are members of U2.com! I eventually got 2 tickets and yep it cost me a fortune. But I look at the cost of other concerts and its pretty much consistent. A bit of perspective would be good!!!

yeah but the drama is interesting.

LMAO they picked out young pretty people to stand in the front row for the DVD? I think that's kind of funny. I also don't remember seeing any such people on the DVD.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom