ye olde englishe/european footballe threade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah it's sad for sure.

i was able to see him play for inter back in 2001... came on and scored as a substitute against fiorentina. the atmosphere was unreal... the whole stadium was chanting "phenomeno, phenomeno, phenomeno!"

i hope this won't be the end for him, but how can it not to be?

1stepcloser said:
united look short on strikers. all the big sides have 4 but united have 2 and a half. you saw yesterday how much they missed rooney. i don't think they would have lost if he had played. not saying that they would have definitely won because man city played very well and sven outfoxed fergie tactically however everytime i see rooney play with united they look a far more potent attacking threat than without him.

maybe fergie is rueing his decision to let manucho go to greece for the season or maybe even selling rossi in the summer....

Yeah, I've been of that opinion all season, United haven't got cover up front, & although there's still a long way to go, I don't want to be accused of being wise after the event, so I'll say it now, I think it will cost United, trophywise at the end of the season. Agree with you 1Step, United look far more threatening when Rooney plays, but already in his career he's picked up 1or 2 lengthy injuries, & suspensions, & saha although a potent striker whne fit, credit where its due when he plays he does score, he's never bloody fit, Rossi, although I didn't see him often, looked sharp whenever I did, so, considering saha's inability to play more than 2 mathces in a row, couldn't understand Fergie's decision to let him go. I know he's at chelski now, but I thought Anelka could have done a good job for United, he's still got pace good in the air & on the ground, & could well be a major factor in chelsea's run-in, don't rule them out of anything, both arse & United have still got to go there, they've got kind draws in both Champs. Lge, & FA Cup, & in final of Carling Cup, possible quadruple!

1stepcloser said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7244079.stm

Ronaldo's career could be over :(

oh and im talking about THE ronaldo by the way, not that diving cheat from old trafford so jimmmm and aardvark you can stop worrying :wink:

anyway, it will be a truly sad day for football if he does retire. he was a great great player on his day. arguably the best player in the world during his time at barcelona before he got injured.

Totally agree there, I was at OT the night he tore Uniteds defence to shreds, & although United actually went on to win the leg, the damage had already been done by a wonderful hat-trick from the great man, & he actually looked bemused when he was sustituted, & given a standing ovation from all corners of OT, such was his performance, 1 of THE all time greats, hope he makes it back, but things don't look promising.

Prem. run-in

Arsenal 63pts Man. Utd. 58pts Chelsea 55pts

A. Birmingham (1) A. Newc. United (3) A. West Ham (1)
H. Villa (4) A. Fulham (6) H. Derby (4)
A. Wigan (7) H. Bolton (9) A. Sunderland (7)
H. ‘Boro (10) A. Derby (12) A. Spurs (8)
A. Chelsea (10) H. Liverpool (15) H. Arsenal (11)
A. Bolton (11) H. Villa (18) H. ‘Boro (14)
H. Liverpool (14) A. ‘Boro (19) A. Man. City (15)
A. Man. United (14) H. Arsenal (22) H. Wigan (18)
H. Reading (17) A. Blackburn (23) A. Everton (21)
A. Derby (20) A. Chelsea (24) H. Man.United (22)
H. Everton (23) H. West Ham (27) A. Newc.United (25)
A. Sunderland (26) A. Wigan (30) H. Bolton (28)

Trying as hard as I can to let my head rule my heart, I can see the season ending thus,

Arsenal, 89pts, Man. United, 88pts, Chelsea 83pts.

So, as I see it, Arse to pip United by a point

jimmmm said:

Totally agree there, I was at OT the night he tore Uniteds defence to shreds, & although United actually went on to win the leg, the damage had already been done by a wonderful hat-trick from the great man, & he actually looked bemused when he was sustituted, & given a standing ovation from all corners of OT, such was his performance, 1 of THE all time greats, hope he makes it back, but things don't look promising.

yeah i remember watching that. one of the best games of football i've ever seen. the reception he got when he was subbed was superb. the fans there must have known they had been watching potentially one of the all time greats.

you were there jimmmm? does that mean you've seen my idol zidane play live in the flesh?? if that's true then you are one lucky bastard!!

arsenal might be 5 points clear but i still have no idea who will win the title. you can never rule out united. all i can say for certainty is that derby are going down!

I think we've still got a good chance. It's gonna be tough, but i'm hoping that if Rooney can feature in each game and Ronaldo continues his fantastic run, then we've got a good chance of pipping them to the post.

1stepcloser said:

you were there jimmmm? does that mean you've seen my idol zidane play live in the flesh?? if that's true then you are one lucky bastard!!

Yeah, I was there that night 1Step, didn't go to many Euro matches, but broke 1 of my own personal rules that night, never go to OT 'cos of the opposition, but with Ronaldo in town I had to make an exception, & despite the overall outcome I'm bloody glad I did, to be absolutely honest I didn't notice Zidane too much, mainly due to Ronaldo's performance.

The FA Chairman Lord Triesman seems like he's on the side of the majority of fans and will dismiss Scudamore's daft plans for an extra league game abroad, this week. He thinks that the idea could well have an impact on England's chances of staging the World Cup in 2018.

Good move :up:

4-0! Superb result. The Arse were well off form and Rooney/Anderson & Nani were all on fire. The sending off in the 2nd half was deserved, so dunno what he was moaning about. Just get off the pitch u whiner!:madspit:
Hope this will have an impact on their next few games now!:drool:

Oh...and Liverpool - :lol:

vaz02 said:
Barsnley lol, heads will roll at pool now i think

Ha ha! What can you do but laugh? I'm just glad I sold my tickets and didn't go:wink:

Good luck to Barnsley in the next round:up:

I just knew Liverpool playing Barnsley on Feb 16th (of all days!) would not be a good omen....

Inter Milan next up...easy:ohmy:

4-0, great match, great result. Barnsley, absolutely fantastic.
Wonder who out of Barnsley, & Bristol Rovers will been drawn against chelsea at stamford bridge.

hopefully man united and chelsea will draw each other. after last years snoozefest of a final i'd rather see somebody else get a chance at wembley.

1stepcloser said:
hopefully man united and chelsea will draw each other. after last years snoozefest of a final i'd rather see somebody else get a chance at wembley.

I agree. Tho it could still be a bore if we play them in the next round :yawn:

We've played premiership opponents in our last 10 FA cup games now. I think we deserve Bristol R or Barnsley!

Rumours of david james leaving pompy for spurs, if this happened it be such a blow for Paul Robinson. A real kick in the teeth.

vaz02 said:
Rumours of david james leaving pompy for spurs, if this happened it be such a blow for Paul Robinson. A real kick in the teeth.

Can't see that happening. Surely they wouldnt go for someone of James' age? I'm sure Robbo's gonna leave in the summer tho, so I guess they've gotta go for somebody.

Aardvark747 said:

I agree. Tho it could still be a bore if we play them in the next round :yawn:

We've played premiership opponents in our last 10 FA cup games now. I think we deserve Bristol R or Barnsley!

lets be honest though, any match for united against villa is pretty much a bye!

Sheffield United or Middlesbrough v Cardiff City

Manchester United v Portsmouth

Bristol Rovers v West Brom

Barnsley v Chelsea

Matches to be played on the weekend of 8 and 9 March.

Omg these ties look lame but i got a good feeling we gonna see an amazing cup final :ohmy:

i've changed my mind. i do actually want a chelsea united cup final cos it means there will be an extra UEFA cup place if there is one(i still think liverpLOL will finish 4th and everton will probably get 5th).

i think everton might get slightly distracted by the UEFA cup and if liverpool keep torres fit they might just nick 4th. dont get me wrong i'd love it if everton villa or city finished 4th cos this "big four" culture that sky sports is perpetrating is doing my head in but i've got a bad feeling liverpool will still get 4th just about.

Back
Top Bottom