XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big shots like Katarina Witt are saying this is a better, less subjective system. The old 6.0 system was incredibly subjective. This one is a little more objective. I have figured out that much. This one is a computerized system. The judges put numbers in a computer, the score comes out and ranks the skater. I may have this thing figured out by Vancouver.

Hahahaha 4-0 Finland, Russia is getting

Cads_Cohenpwned.jpg

phanan said:

The difference here is that Sasha didn't blame anyone else for her performance.

Well, she was skating ALONE :eyebrow:

The woman from the Italian ice dance pair blamed the guy for dropping her when they literally fell from first place to out of contention for a medal. She gave him the cold shoulder, evil eye, folded arms, etc. for 2 days. They had it on film. It was much worse than the fueding US speedskaters.

verte76 said:

I'm still trying to figure out this scoring system. Basically, if someone has a more complex and intricate program than someone else, their base marks are higher (or should be). Thus it's possible for someone to fall and finish ahead of someone who does not. Actually, the judges have been overmarking Slutskaya in program compenent scores, the artistic impression marks, all year. Last night they did not. I'm told that Fumie Siguri didn't do too much besides her jumps, thus her fourth place finish.

Yes, if you attempt something harder and screw it up you get more points than someone who didn't try it but didn't mess up. It's like that gymnastics too. Also, artistry is 50% of the program, so if you have no choreography or graceful moves, you get graded way down.

I don't think I have ever been more proud of our hockey players than I am right now. It was beautiful. And on Sunday we're going to show Sweden where the best hockey players come from - and the right answer is NOT Sweden!! :lol:

verte76 said:
Big shots like Katarina Witt are saying this is a better, less subjective system. The old 6.0 system was incredibly subjective. This one is a little more objective. I have figured out that much. This one is a computerized system. The judges put numbers in a computer, the score comes out and ranks the skater. I may have this thing figured out by Vancouver.

To the casual viewer, it still seems incredibly subjective.

Tracy Wilson kept taking the time to try to explain it, using a big computer screen. Each element is worth a certain amount. Some are a higher value than others. You may start at a 9.8 and if you goof it up or step out of it end up with 4.1 of it. But some skaters only do jumps that were only worth 3.5 to begin with, so therefore a fall on a harder jump is worth more than a completed easy one. You may not notice, but if a skater plans for a jump to be a triple and they turn it into a double, they lose point value, even though to you it looked like a successful jump. This is what cost Nancy Kerrigan gold in '94, one of her triples was doubled. So the girls who didn't goof last night didn't have all the difficulty Sasha had, even though she goofed. Sasha's artistry and choreography are superior to most of the skaters', too.

Back to what Tracy was telling us, in men's, Yvgheny put himself out of reach of anyone else by landing a quad- triple-double combination, which no one else can do. Only 2 other guys even tried a quad, they both fell, but got credit for trying. Because Yvgheny landed his, his score was so high, nobody could catch him and he ran away from the pack with the gold.

One more thing, if you do a hard move when it's over halfway into your program (when you're more fatigued) you get more points for it than you would if it were done earlier in your program. Some skaters are smart enough to plan this, others (or their coaches) aren't. One girl did a hard move only 10 seconds before the halfway point was up and Scott Hamilton was groaning, why, just wait 10 seconds!

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

If it is still confusing to you (one who is far more familiar with the sport) imagine how it appears to one who watches infrequently.

I wish there was a way to match scores with any move (footwork, jumps, spins, etc.). Otherwise, it comes across as so subjective - it becomes meaningless.

It's imperfect but still entertaining and IMO casual fans wouldn't care for the details on the scoring as much. How much can one follow in terms of speed, difficulty, footwork, etc. unless you're an uber-fan with an eye for detail. Even the skating with grace part can be deceiving to the casual fan. I think too much detail would bog down any broadcast of figure skating. I mean the short program was annoying as hell when the announcers kept yammering. Imagine that with even more detailed presentations. Boring.

Its like boxing IMO. Who really can follow every detail and be sure on the scoring unless its blatantly obvious. I also think alah, looking for the KO, figure skating has that extra attraction of wondering who's gonna fall and screw up the rest of their program and thus have all their dreams sink in a couple of minutes. Great drama. Even watching the replay of Cohen, I was still smarting when she fell twice (even after knowing the results and such). That's great entertainment right there.

U2Kitten said:

Well, she was skating ALONE :eyebrow:

You don't say...

She skates alone, but she has her coaches who work on her routine. The point I was making is that she didn't give any excuses for her performance.

Using Peyton Manning as a comparison was a bad example.

WOW!! With Canada out of the picture I can honestly say there are no two teams I'd rather watch than Sweden vs Finland. As soon as Canada was out I wanted this matchup for the final.It's the equivalant to USA vs Canada. In fact it might even be a bigger rivalry. I'm super excited for this game on Sunday and even though I'm a big Forsberg fan I'm cheering for Finland all the way to capture their first ever gold. GO FINLAND GO!!!! Back to back dream Gold medal games for men's hockey at the Olympics

2002: Canada vs USA
2006: Finland vs Sweden.

Congratulations to Canada's Mens Curling Team on winning their first gold in that event and winning Newfoundland & Labrador's first ever Olympic gold medal.

Mark Nichols played amazing in the final 2 games, he was definitely the difference for the Gushue rink. Great job. Great inspiration for the whole province and the young people of Newfoundland. I wish I was home for this homecoming. The whole province shut down today for this event, people who don't even know what curling is watched it. All of Canadian media is embracing Newfoundland & Labrador tonight and celebrating this tremendous victory for the Gushue rink and our province's first ever gold medal.

teamgushue_59654.jpg

Go Finland in hockey, you deserve the gold!!!!

trevster2k said:
Great job. Great inspiration for the whole province and the young people of Newfoundland.

This was the sight today all over Quidi Vidi Lake, Burton's Pond...anywhere there was ice. ;)

main1.jpg

It's a proud day, here, and in the rest of the country. The team did an amazing job. :up:

Last edited:
PLUSHENKO! (Sorry, just watched the exhibitition skate). What an incredible virility in his skating.

Last edited:
Ava79 said:
I don't think I have ever been more proud of our hockey players than I am right now. It was beautiful. And on Sunday we're going to show Sweden where the best hockey players come from - and the right answer is NOT Sweden!! :lol:

I'm right with you Ava!! As I'm sure every Finn worth his/hers salt is!!! This is Finlands hockey team first EVER Olympic final, so lets hope and pray they keep their wits about them and show our beloved enemies who has the best hockey players!!!:yes:

nbcrusader said:

To the casual viewer, it still seems incredibly subjective.

There is always going to be subjectivity in figure skating judging. But there's far less of it in this system than there was with the old 6.0 system. Sasha got the silver based on her choreography and footwork. She had a strong comeback after her early stumbles.

How many times do you hear announcers refer to silver medal winners in a way that sounds like "first place loser"????

Participating in the Olympics is an incredible achievement.

nbcrusader said:

Participating in the Olympics is an incredible achievement.

I agree, but that's not the mentality in the world today-especially in the US. It's a shame.

US bosses vow crackdown on wayward athletes

By Nelson Graves

TURIN (Reuters) - U.S. Olympic bosses promised to crack down on wayward athletes after a freestyle skier got into a fight at the Winter Olympics, an Alpine champion was seen out late in a bar the night before a big race and two speedskaters openly feuded.

"This team has a taken a hit in terms of its comportment here in Italy because of a couple of incidents involving some high-profile athletes," Jim Scherr, chief executive officer of the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC), said.

Scherr cited freestyle skier Jeret Peterson, who was ordered to return home early after getting into a fight.

He also pointed to speed skaters Shani Davis and Chad Hedrick, whose public spat made headlines throughout the Games.

Privately U.S. officials noted that Bode Miller, one of Alpine skiing's most high-profile figures but without a medal at the Turin Games, had been twice spotted socializing late, once on the night before the prestige downhill race.

"It's unfortunate that a few colored the rest of the delegation," Scherr told a news conference. "We will be making some significant adjustments going into Beijing and Vancouver."

Pressed to elaborate, he said the USOC would make sure athletes understand they must prepare themselves physically and understand that at the Olympics, they represent not only themselves but also their countries.

"Coming out of these Games we will do a better job as an Olympic Committee to monitor those situations and make sure that both of those edicts are followed to a higher degree," he said.

Peterson, who finished seventh in the freestyle skiing aerials on Thursday despite completing one of the most difficult jumps, was sent home early after "an altercation with an acquaintance from the United States," the USOC said.

Scherr and USOC chef de mission Jim McCarthy attributed the bickering between Davis and Hedrick in part to the individual nature of speed skating.

"They are both very competitive individuals and it's hard in an individual sport," McCarthy said.

I am so proud of our Canadian athletes! Yesterday was a great win for the men's curling team. I normally never watch, but that was awesome to see! They're a fantastic curling team.

I woke up this morning in time to see Clara Hughes and Cindy Klassen win the gold and bronze in women's 5000m speed skating. What a race!

We now have 22 medals, which is such an incredible accomplishment. We have so much to be proud of this year, and so much to look forward to in Vancouver 4 years from now. I can't wait to see all of this in my backyard!

Go Finland in hockey!!

the US is going to crackdown on "wayward athletes?" Give me a break. Are we turing into the Soviet Union that essential was a robot factory cranking out athletes with no personality or fun loving spirit? I'll take my athletes getting drunk and enjoying themselves any day of the week over prim and proper.

It doesn't put forth the best image of the US in front of people from other countries, when that image is already so tarnished.

I'll take someone like Joey Cheek any day of the week, he is a fantastic representative for the US. Getting drunk and constantly talking about it, and the poor sportsmanship of Hedrick and Davis, doesn't equal "fun" to me. Bode can have his "fun" outside the Olympics, there's plenty of time then :shrug:

An athlete can have plenty of personality and not be like Bode Miller et al.

Last edited:
Who cares about image? They're athletes not policy makers. I like Olympic team to be full of athletes with college mindset of hey we're in the olympics lets go get have some drinks and cause some trouble.

If you're going to be obnoxious, you better have medals to back it up.

It's not about muzzling athletes, but there were quite a few American olympians who really behaved shamefully. The speed skaters made this into a pathetic soap opera while, for example, Canada's Cindy Klassen shut up and skated her way to 5 medals. You have American girls skiing with tiaras and tiger ears and pearls around their necks. You simply don't see that from athletes in other nations. You have Bode Miller boozing it up with busty blondes the day before his race and then coming home empty handed. I didn't see Anja Paerson, Janica Kostelic or Michaela Dorfmeister in a bar the night before their races.

Julia Mancuso may have worn a tiara...but she also won a gold and what is the problem with wearing that? or tigger ears if your nickname is Tiger?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom