WOWY - what happened ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that some of these old warhorses could use some new arrangements, and hopefully we get that some day, but each sounded much better in person on this tour than the boots would suggest, and that's not just because of euphoria over being there, I also think Bono's voice is getting better and better again this tour, so far on the US shows he's sounded stronger than the ones I heard from Europe. Even 'One' sounded great again sure it could use some added life, but Bono's voice was beautiful. I think we're all a little biased when it comes to One because it was such a hit song with people who either don't like most U2, or missed the point of the song haha, if it was a non-single from Achtung Baby everyone would proclaim its genius and want it back every tour (ala Kite), it is an incredible lyric and yeah in the same vein as MOS tapped into this year with the drone (although this is a tad more melodic), and think about it people it means a lot not just to the casual fans, and the campaign named after it, but to the band themselves , its conceivable we wouldn't be here complaining about this and that on a 2009 tour if it weren't for that song.

He's doing the verses in a Leonard Cohen style. It's not that he can't sing it, obviously, he sings quite well in other songs. It's just different, that's all.

The only thing wrong with the song in my eyes is I want that Rattle N Hum Edge solo back. God that is amazing :drool:

I don't think he's singing it LC-style, nor is he doing it as an hommage to "Numb". At this point, it's simply engrained in his head that way:

1. MacPhisto sings WOWY
2. Bono must still sing WOWY every night
3. MacPhisto version = Path of least resistance / Most familiar
4. MacPhisto version becomes embedded in Bono's brain

-----

Let Larry sing it...

Cohen-style does not favor the song, and if they're going to sing it like bureaucreat delivering a paper, then i'd rather see it out of the setlist.

Cohen-style does not favor the song, and if they're going to sing it like bureaucreat delivering a paper, then i'd rather see it out of the setlist.

Let us call a spade a spade. Let us not sugarcoat...

Bono is not singing it Cohen-style, Bono is simply singing the WOWY of least resistance. Can't blame him, he's "had" to sing it every tour night for 22 years...

I will say that it isn't nearly as bad when you are there vs watching it on youtube...

that is because for most people enthousiasme for the man who is singing it and the setting in which the song is sung is that great that they "forgive" the flaws. It is when you are sitting behind your desk that you realise it is mediocre at best. Esp when you compare it to the early years. That being said, I "hated" it at Dublin and I wasn't the only one. By far the worst song of the night and that is a shame considering the beauty it once posessed. Solution: drop it and play something else

i will reserve judgement until i hear live on this tour.

But i know that every night someone will see this band for the very first time, and WOWY is one of their most popular songs. Imagine their disappointment if they go to their first show and miss this song. Sure we cant please everyone, as evidenced by this thread, but i bet that WOWY makes someones night. Someone who is not as critical as the majority of posters here.

By the same token, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of fans who are seeing U2 for the first time and are excited about hearing WOWY and then come out thinking ".... that wasn't very good, I was expecting more with that song."

Or even "Gosh, Bono sounds tired ..... IS BONO OKAY?????"

:wink:

^ Bullshit. Why is he singing his heart out on other songs then? It's just a different style, that's all.

After listening to it tonight, I affirm it is a mix between a bureaucreat style and a technical issue: Bono cannot any longer sustain the tone needed for the song. In fact, i guess he's aware of this and he doesn't push for the whole set and saves "energy" for a song he would really like to sing. Take for example, Ultraviolet. It was a great voice performance at that, and maybe the best of the whole set.

It's not like Cohen at all- I've seen Cohen live and his phrasing is excellent- his range is limited but that's another matter. As horrifying as it might be for some people to accept, perhaps Bono is just singing a rather tired warhorse pretty badly.

PS- you can't blame Macphisto for the decline of WOWY. First of all, he actually sings it with real power towards the end; secondly even if you didn't like the Macphisto version, 4 years passed before Popmart- time enough, I think for Bono to get it out of his head- but what we got in 97 was not Macphisto but a man in his mid thirties with throat problems.

PS- you can't blame Macphisto for the decline of WOWY. First of all, he actually sings it with real power towards the end; secondly even if you didn't like the Macphisto version, 4 years passed before Popmart- time enough, I think for Bono to get it out of his head- but what we got in 97 was not Macphisto but a man in his mid thirties with throat problems.

I think Mac was the decline because that's when he started the shorter phrasing during the verses, which over the years have turned into a talking verse, but it started with Mac.

I remember seeing them in 92, pre Mac, and then buying the ZooTV VHS the day it was released and thinking, wtf did they do to that song? It was that much of a shock from Mirrorball Man to Mac. I remember thinking to myself why isn't he singing it anymore? Compared to now, it seems like singing but back then it was a shock. You're use to it now, for many in here it's how it's suppose to be, but look back at R&H or even early ZooTV and you'll find a very different WOWY.

Damn you Mac!!! :madwife:

:mac:

I think Mac was the decline because that's when he started the shorter phrasing during the verses, which over the years have turned into a talking verse, but it started with Mac.

I remember seeing them in 92, pre Mac, and then buying the ZooTV VHS the day it was released and thinking, wtf did they do to that song? It was that much of a shock from Mirrorball Man to Mac. I remember thinking to myself why isn't he singing it anymore? Compared to now, it seems like singing but back then it was a shock. You're use to it now, for many in here it's how it's suppose to be, but look back at R&H or even early ZooTV and you'll find a very different WOWY.

Damn you Mac!!! :madwife:

:mac:

BVS and I are on the exact same page. It's such a rare occurrence that it signals that our viewpoint is 100% accurate. There is no middle-ground, or grey areas... if there were, BVS or I would be representing it.

The R&H version is how it should be sung all the time :drool: Bono can't do that anymore though. Unfortunately.

Because, as we all know, that is how you should properly experience live music :rolleyes:

do you people actually read the whole post or is it a new sport nowadays to pick out a sentence that doesn't suit your liking and use it as an example. to score points.

gimme a break :angry:

do you people actually read the whole post or is it a new sport nowadays to pick out a sentence that doesn't suit your liking and use it as an example. to score points.

gimme a break :angry:

they're awarding points now?! :hyper:

I fail to see how anything you said was the least bit positive and yes, the sentence I chose to quote pretty much summed up your argument if you ask me, are you saying this isn't the case?

Bono has just got lazy and bored with the song, he's not as 'into' the song as he used to. By that I mean even compare now to the Elevation Tour and you can find more energy in the damn song even there.

Oh well.

they're awarding points now?! :hyper:

I fail to see how anything you said was the least bit positive and yes, the sentence I chose to quote pretty much summed up your argument if you ask me, are you saying this isn't the case?

It wasnt meant postive and considering the original post this should hardly come as a surprise. I was talking purely about the performance (vocals) which obviously is poor at best. Standing in a stadium with 90000 people screaming can give the impression that the song is performed well. seeing it back on youtube however sometimes (in the case of WOWY) uncoveres the flaws you initially didnt hear. In the worsest case scenario you hated both the live version and the youtube version. That was MY experience regarding this song.

By the same token, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of fans who are seeing U2 for the first time and are excited about hearing WOWY and then come out thinking ".... that wasn't very good, I was expecting more with that song."

Or even "Gosh, Bono sounds tired ..... IS BONO OKAY?????"

:wink:

i see what you are saying, especially with us die hards who know better and know what WOWY really should sound like.

I guess my point is/was, my sister is going to her first u2 show next month with me in Norman. She is a casual fan though she loved them during JT era. I think it would mean a lot to her to hear this song, and she probably wouldnt know it if it sucked by comparison to the older and better versions.

IM just glad that after all these years sis is finally getting to go!!

this version in a way reminds me most of the MacPhisto version
Bono's detached singing style that is
though far from my favourite version

Back
Top Bottom