WITS review from IGN.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2freakboy

War Child
IGN.com doesn't like the album, but they love WITS ....

"Window In The Skies" was recorded at Abbey Road Studios and produced by Rick Rubin. In contrast to their Green Day collabo, this track is downright somber, relying on melodic piano (think back to the ivory flourishes that populated albums like October) to propel the track. The inclusion of emphatic strings on the chorus only adds to the grandiosity of the track. Put in context of some of the other music U2 has crafted over the past few years, this track is amazingly brilliant, not only for it's symphonic lushness, but Edge's wonderfully tweaked guitar bit, Bono's rasp sounding refreshingly in-check, and Clayton and Mullins rhythms interlocking like Isotoner gloved hands resting on a young maiden's lap. A sweet desert to an otherwise paint-by-numbers collection.

wouldnt that be a perfect candidate to judge new u2 music? an unbiased opinion, someone who doesnt know shit about u2.

t8thgr8 said:
wouldnt that be a perfect candidate to judge new u2 music? an unbiased opinion, someone who doesnt know shit about u2.

Yes, but it helps to know what "somber" means and a simple fact-check on the names of the band members can add a lot to your credibility.

Bono's vioce is very crisp on this song. The whole song in general seems more advanced and compex than most of the Bomb songs. It must be a Rubin thing. I like it.

But "somber" is a very poor word choice indeed. :huh:

Can we just be happy about a positive review instead of nitpicking?

An unbiased judge who doesn't know shit about U2 maybe, but this person clearly thinks he does, or pretends to when comparing it to October, kind of a bad comparison I think.

Quote: In contrast to their Green Day collabo, this track is downright somber

They are speaking relative to Saints, and next to that song, WITS could be described as sombre (UK :))

IGN is one of the best sites on the internet. I don't know much about their music page, so I can't judge it much. I will say the review is accurate though. Except maybe for the fact that they're saying WITS and Saints are really good.

Back
Top Bottom