With every sport canned, there's never been a better time to watch AFL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously, it's so fucking dumb. People don't do this in other sports, but then Aussie Rules is infuriatingly insular at times.

Like, Brisbane didn't have heaps of finals experience in 2001. GEE WHO WON THE FLAG. In 2000, the year before the threepeat, they literally finished in exactly the same position as they did last year.

AFL commentary is some of the worst on the fucking planet.

Most other sports: gee this team is on form, let's see how far they can go with this momentum

AFL dickheads: lol no finals experience they'll fail

It's just a slightly more reasoned way of saying "I don't know these guys, I don't understand why they doing so good, so they must not be good! Carn Pies!!"

Brisbane has been a threat for a couple of seasons now and commentators still don't know their players' names.

Fine, other Australasian sporting leagues. Nobody doubted that Wellington or Otago could go the distance in the mid-2010s Super Rugby just because they lacked finals experience. They were good teams who were in form. The idea a lesser team would be favourites just because they've played more finals over the past decade would have been laughed out of town.

I mean, fuck, we seem to have some Victorians who think St Kilda are a more realistic flag prospect than Brisbane or Port. Now, sure, St Kilda could win the flag, but right now it's rather obvious that their chances are not as good as the two teams who topped the table. But hey they're a Victorian team with a good-news coaching story, that's what counts right?

If Brisbane or Port had a spate of injuries over the final few rounds to key players, then I would understand people rating teams beneath them as a better chance, but they haven't.

Anyway, FOOTY IS FINALLY BACK TONIGHT and we'll find out in the next 36 hours whether Geelong and Richmond really are better than the top two teams or if it was a load of Vic-centric codswallop from commentators who are still surprised that there's a Port Adelaide now.

Will be interesting. I am feeling pretty confident about tonight, but also feeling sick. If we win, it means I don't have to stress during the second week, and it also means we wouldn't have to play Richmond until the grand final, AND it would mean there's a good chance we don't have to play West Coast or Collingwood at all.

In a stunning twist that no Victorian commentator saw coming, the team that finished top of the table in the regular season won a home qualifying final.

I really hope Brisbane repeat the dose tonight.

Obviously I've underrated Port, they played to win. I still think we should have and could have won, we wasted so many golden opportunities, Hawkins 0.5 will haunt me for a long time. But Port were exceptional after half time, definitely the better team from that point onwards. But what could have been had we taken our opportunities in the first half... sigh.

Hahahahahahahahahaha who knew the top two teams might actually be good hahahahahahaha

Also can somebody please persuade Channel 7 to stop barracking so hard for Dusty, it's gross.

James Brayshaw, at the start of tonight, about the team that finished second two years in a row and are playing a home final in front of an actual crowd: "What do we know about Brisbane? We know all about Richmond."

Guess he finally found out a thing or two about Brissie, hey.

That first half was amazing. Absolutely top-notch footy. Second half not quite as glittering but tense as hell as Richmond tried to wrest it back in the final quarter.

So many Lions really stood up. Rich was incredible. McCluggage absolutely garbage in front of goal all year until the one shot that really mattered most. I dunno if people are on the money that Neale will win the Brownlow, I never have any fucking idea with that, but gee the way he came back after that invisible first quarter was testament to him as a great player. And shit there were some good goals in this game, even if the "goal of the year" was a behind on review.

Physically ill at Collingwood winning but shit that was an exciting game. Those two teams really have faced off in some classic finals. Pies were the better team but West Coast blew it for themselves with inaccuracy and frittering away forward fifty entry after forward fifty entry in the final quarter.

All four finals have been great, great footy. It looked like the Saints were going to romp home and then that Dogs comeback turned it into a nailbiter. Didn't even know who I wanted to win there, really... both very likeable teams with amazing narratives. Anyway, hope the Saints now have it in them to knock off the Tiges. They've already done it once this year.

Belter of a first round of finals. Terrified at the prospect of facing Collingwood next week. Real buzz around that club at the moment. Jordan De Goey should absolutely not be playing.

Appreciate that it was a shocking game for anyone not a Geelong fan, but that was the exact result I needed. I felt sick before the game. Some Gazza magic, Gary Rohan took a heap of clutch marks, our backline was unreal, Danger was a freak, Hawkins gets 600, Duncan was amazing.

Belter of a first round of finals. Terrified at the prospect of facing Collingwood next week. Real buzz around that club at the moment. Jordan De Goey should absolutely not be playing.

Appreciate that it was a shocking game for anyone not a Geelong fan, but that was the exact result I needed. I felt sick before the game. Some Gazza magic, Gary Rohan took a heap of clutch marks, our backline was unreal, Danger was a freak, Hawkins gets 600, Duncan was amazing.

That's quite the turn-around. :lol:

But I was delighted too. I take absolute pleasure in Collingwood getting belted, it was a joy to watch.

I now just hope that in the same way as Collingwood played their grand final against West Coast, you played your grand final against them and have nothing left in the tank against Brissie. Come onnnn Brisbane vs Port grand final. 2004 vibes yessss.

Fuck, what a game tonight. Not the result I wanted—I hope whoever wins tomorrow wins the flag, and I'd prefer it to be Brisbane—but edge-of-your-seat stuff for the whole game. Great watch. On the one hand, Richmond could've shut it out sooner by kicking straighter; on the other, Port had so many forward fifty entries that they failed to turn into scoring opportunities.

And who are people tipping for the Brownlow? I haven't really paid attention and it always seems to go to midfielders who I never notice as much as forwards or defenders.

Didn't think I'd be barracking for Richmond to win a third in four years, but there we go.

Because when the choice is between Richmond and Geelong, the preference is the not-Geelong option.

Isn’t it about time for AFL to start again? How are my Suns going to be this year?

Back
Top Bottom