Will they add 2nd Seattle and Vancouver shows this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KentK

The Fly
Last time I think there was just 1 Seattle and 1 Vancouver. Anybody have a hunch if they will add 2nd shows in the NW?

2nd Seattle show

I sure hope so...or even a Portland show, or better yet a Salt Lake show would be fantastic. There sure seems to be dates to squeeze them in.

depending on how good the show sells on saturday and how fast it will be an indication on whether or not, like most dates on this tour, there will be a second show or not.

I think U2 are being selfish. Instead of doing 2 shows in Seattle, they should do one in Portland and one in Seattle. If I remember correctly, the single show in Tacoma wasn't an instant sellout. Same for the double shows in Denver and Phoenix. Phoenix is close enough to the Californian's who couldn't get tickets, so Phoenix will probably sell out the 2nd show with ease. But Denver and Seattle will have a tough time selling out 2 shows, I think. I'd have done one show in Phoenix, Denver and Seattle, and substituted the 2nd shows for shows in Vegas, SLC and Portland. I just hate this new method of touring in which the band sets up shop in the big cities and makes everyone travel to them. I find that very unfair.

The_acrobat said:
I just hate this new method of touring in which the band sets up shop in the big cities and makes everyone travel to them. I find that very unfair.

It seems this is an efficient method of cutting their touring costs and raising their profits. While I understand this, I don't really agree with it. This appears to be a hybrid type of tour which blends the new idea of making the fans come to you (Elton John and Celine Dion in Vegas) with an actual city to city tour.

Mind you, all of this apparently stems from a delay to what was originally proposed as a March 1st Florida start. Who knows what exactly would of happened if the band never delayed.

The_acrobat said:
I think U2 are being selfish. Instead of doing 2 shows in Seattle, they should do one in Portland and one in Seattle. If I remember correctly, the single show in Tacoma wasn't an instant sellout. Same for the double shows in Denver and Phoenix. Phoenix is close enough to the Californian's who couldn't get tickets, so Phoenix will probably sell out the 2nd show with ease. But Denver and Seattle will have a tough time selling out 2 shows, I think. I'd have done one show in Phoenix, Denver and Seattle, and substituted the 2nd shows for shows in Vegas, SLC and Portland. I just hate this new method of touring in which the band sets up shop in the big cities and makes everyone travel to them. I find that very unfair.

Remember, they are coming back in the fall and will probably hit Vegas, SLC and Portland at that time. I doubt many people from California will go to shows in Phoenix as it requires an extra travel and lodging expense that would dwarf the price of the ticket. Most people will not go to shows that would require them to stay overnight do to the distance that has to be travelled.

The first Vancouver show will sellout fast. And then when the second show goes on sale, it'll sellout eventually - but only because of the fact there's no other Canadian shows scheduled for the first leg (or at least so far), not because there's demand here for two shows, considering the prices they're charging.

The first Seattle show will sellout fast. And then when the second show goes on sale, it'll sellout eventually - but only because of the fact there's no shows scheduled in Portland (or at least so far), not because there's demand there for two shows, considering the prices they're charging.

The second Denver show will sellout, primarily because of the fact there's no shows scheduled in Salt Lake City or Kansas City (that are relatively nearby) yet (or maybe not at all), not because there's a great demand there for two shows, considering the prices they're charging.

The first Phoenix area show will sellout fast. And then the second show will eventually - but primarily because there's no Las Vegas show scheduled (or at least so far), not because there's a great demand in this market for a second show, considering the prices they're charging.

Re: 2nd Seattle show

theedge76 said:
I sure hope so...or even a Portland show, or better yet a Salt Lake show would be fantastic. There sure seems to be dates to squeeze them in.

Portland is a great city and deserves a show. Of course lots of cities deserve shows but U2 has some history in Portland. Good and bad. I hope the Portland folks get a shot.
Salt Lake City as well of course...

not because there's demand there for two shows, considering the prices they're charging.

The day's drive/Southwest $100 RT fly-in crowd will make up part of the ticket sales, but not too, too much. (It's nice there is this safety valve for hardcore Cali fans.)

I really think you hit it on the head with the ticket pricing. Phoenix is a low cost of living city -arguably lower than any other stop on this first leg (with Denver second lowest). 10 minutes from where U2 will play you can buy a lot of house for not very much compared to elsewhere - the Glendale Arena offers free parking - that kind of thing. Lower cost of living = lower salaries. $165 - and $95 can add up to be many hours worth of work.

I also want to say Portland is a great city with great fans who know how to party - I hope they get a show. Salt Lake as well is core U2 territory. This fall, I hope!

I'm betting on a second Vancouver show (PLEASE let it be FRIDAY!), but doubt they'll do 2 in Seattle. The Elevation show last time barely sold out if it did at all (and the sound sucked!). Still, they usually only have 2 or so days between the Seattle and Vancouver shows and this time it's 4, so who knows?:shrug:

Seattle Key Arena scheduling challenges

The chance for a second show in Seattle may be hampered a bit by the fact that the weekend of April 23-24 is the start of the NBA Playoffs. The Seattle Sonics are almost guaranteed to be hosting a first round game at home (Key Arena) that weekend since they have such a good record at this point. This could make scheduling a second u2 show difficult, however the first round of the NBA playoffs often have 2-3 days between games so a schedule like this could be possible:

Sat the 23rd (NBA playoff game #1)
Sun the 24th U2 concert (as announced)
Mon the 25th - possible U2 concert date #2
Tues the 26th - NBA playoff game #2

We'll see . . . ..

I'm glad the stupid Grizzlies are not in Vancouver anymore. It gives more chance for a second show. :wink:

NoControl said:
The first Vancouver show will sellout fast. And then when the second show goes on sale, it'll sellout eventually - but only because of the fact there's no other Canadian shows scheduled for the first leg (or at least so far), not because there's demand here for two shows, considering the prices they're charging.

The first Seattle show will sellout fast. And then when the second show goes on sale, it'll sellout eventually - but only because of the fact there's no shows scheduled in Portland (or at least so far), not because there's demand there for two shows, considering the prices they're charging.

The second Denver show will sellout, primarily because of the fact there's no shows scheduled in Salt Lake City or Kansas City (that are relatively nearby) yet (or maybe not at all), not because there's a great demand there for two shows, considering the prices they're charging.

The first Phoenix area show will sellout fast. And then the second show will eventually - but primarily because there's no Las Vegas show scheduled (or at least so far), not because there's a great demand in this market for a second show, considering the prices they're charging.

We don't know yet if there will be second shows in Seattle and Vancouver, but a show in Vancouver is not going to be heavily influenced by the fact that there is no shows in Edmonton,
Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal. First, most Canadians live closer to cities in the USA that are having U2 shows and would elect to go there before traveling all the way out to Vancouver. Edmonton is the exception, but it would involve a 13 hour drive or plane trip, plus lodging. A small number of hardcore fans do that, the vast majority of fans will not travel more than 3 hours to see a show.

Vancouver and Seattle effect each other to a degree and I can see how Portland might effect Seattle as well even though its nearly 3 hours away.

Denver is 8 HOURS from Salt Lake City. Denver is 9 hours from Kansas City. Simply put, when you play Denver, whether or not you sellout is dependent on Denver and Denver alone. Only a tiny number of fans, not enough to impact tickets sales, will be traveling from Kansas and SLC to see the shows in Denver. These are hardcore fans who are willing to spend the money for travel and lodging to see the band on the first leg, despite the fact that they know the band will likely return in the fall to play their repective cities. They will also have to take off work since the Denver shows are in the middle of the week, something even a hardcore fan may not be able to do.

Phoenix is a 6 hour drive from Las Vegas and once again will mean Vegas U2 fans will have to spend the night in Phoenix if they want to see the concerts. The show is on a thursday and would require any fans to from Vegas to take off as much as two days of work. If a show is added for Friday night, Vegas fans going to that show would have to get off work early. All technically doable, but most Vegas U2 fans will not be taking the trip down to Phoenix, and those that do will have a negligible impact on ticket sales.

I only got to check ticket sales for the second Denver show two hours after it went on sale and all the tickets were gone. It may have soldout even faster. This is excellant business and definitely shows an increase in demand in the Denver market over the Elevation tour where the second show had a slightly reduced capacity and was on a different leg of the tour. I don't think Paul MC was planning on a second Denver show, because the on-sale date was not until the following Friday while with shows in the large markets, tickets for second shows went onsale, unnanounced, minutes after the first shows soldout.

It will be interesting to see how Phoenix, Seattle, and Vancouver sell tomorrow. These are softer markets than the cities on the Northeast and Southwest coasts and once again, sellouts of multiple shows on the same day would like Denver, show the demand to see U2 in these markets has increased over what it was on Elevation.

On another note, both shows at Dublin's Croke Park soldout this morning in 22 minutes, leaving the majority of fans in Ireland without tickets.

The_acrobat said:
Phoenix is close enough to the Californian's who couldn't get tickets, so Phoenix will probably sell out the 2nd show with ease.

as a californian...i would have to say we can't get to phoenix easily. maybe the people in southern california. but that's still a massive drive. but those of us in the rest of the state have around a 16-20 hour drive to phoenix. especially if you live in northern california. it's a LONG state.

The thing is Vancouver is the MOST North of all the cities on the West Coast. Edmonton AND Calgary fanatics WILL flock to Vancouver. Even Manitoba. Then there is Alaska. Might not be all that populated, but there are people from there that will want to try to reach Vancouver and Seattle. Without even considering the traffic going up and down between Vancouver and Seattle, Vancouver is going to be this Canadian magnet that just sucks u2 fans from far away to come visit. :wink:

Roland of Gilead said:
The thing is Vancouver is the MOST North of all the cities on the West Coast. Edmonton AND Calgary fanatics WILL flock to Vancouver. Even Manitoba. Then there is Alaska. Might not be all that populated, but there are people from there that will want to try to reach Vancouver and Seattle. Without even considering the traffic going up and down between Vancouver and Seattle, Vancouver is going to be this Canadian magnet that just sucks u2 fans from far away to come visit. :wink:

I'm sure fans from all those places will go, the real question is how many U2 fans in each city are actually willing, to take off work, pay the expense of driving or flying such a long distance, and then pay for lodging and any other expenses involved with that length of travel time. How many fans will be traveling far enough that they have to spend the night in Vancouver? I think there will be less than 1,000 of these fans for Vancouver, a small enough number that it would not impact ticket sales if these show or shows sellout at the same rate that every other show has been selling out.

But, will know tomorrow the real story including whether 2nd shows will be added for Seattle, Vancouver and Phoenix.

The_acrobat said:

I am traveling to Phoenix from Southern CA because I could not get GA's in LA, San Diego or Anaheim. I did not try for San jose because I knew there was no chance. I got GA's in Phoenix and it's a six 1/2 hour drive, so that's the story.

OMG U2 at the Gorge would be awesome.
And I think the show might sell out in Seattle faster this time. First off Tacoma dome just sucks period. I know people that refuse to see any shows there just for the sound.

But also I think we tend to forget as the years pass U2 gets bigger and bigger so there is more of a demand.

I have this thought in my head, "why is it harder to get tickets this time?" And I don't mean u2.com in particular. I mean all sales, public and pre. Its like this:

The Bomb has been selling at a pace that is more than twice as fast as All That... . This is also a reflection in the market. The tickets seem to be selling twice as fast it seems. The people have spoken and the Bomb is one of U2's best works.

Like I said...

NoControl said:

STING2 said:

I'm sure fans from all those places will go, the real question is how many U2 fans in each city are actually willing, to take off work, pay the expense of driving or flying such a long distance, and then pay for lodging and any other expenses involved with that length of travel time. How many fans will be traveling far enough that they have to spend the night in Vancouver? I think there will be less than 1,000 of these fans for Vancouver, a small enough number that it would not impact ticket sales if these show or shows sellout at the same rate that every other show has been selling out.

But, will know tomorrow the real story including whether 2nd shows will be added for Seattle, Vancouver and Phoenix.

I can assure you more than 1000. There will be 1000+ people comming from Vancouver Island alone. Trust me a drive from Calgary + Edmonton to Vancouver isn't that bad. Elevation Tour sold out really quick in Vancouver, I was actually surprised they never added a second show. The market can take another show, I have no question about that.

Last edited:
NoControl said:
Like I said...

We don't know yet if there will be second shows in Seattle and Vancouver, but a show in Vancouver is not going to be heavily influenced by the fact that there is no shows in Edmonton,
Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal. First, most Canadians live closer to cities in the USA that are having U2 shows and would elect to go there before traveling all the way out to Vancouver. Edmonton is the exception, but it would involve a 13 hour drive or plane trip, plus lodging. A small number of hardcore fans do that, the vast majority of fans will not travel more than 3 hours to see a show.

Vancouver and Seattle effect each other to a degree and I can see how Portland might effect Seattle as well even though its nearly 3 hours away.

Denver is 8 HOURS from Salt Lake City. Denver is 9 hours from Kansas City. Simply put, when you play Denver, whether or not you sellout is dependent on Denver and Denver alone. Only a tiny number of fans, not enough to impact tickets sales, will be traveling from Kansas and SLC to see the shows in Denver. These are hardcore fans who are willing to spend the money for travel and lodging to see the band on the first leg, despite the fact that they know the band will likely return in the fall to play their repective cities. They will also have to take off work since the Denver shows are in the middle of the week, something even a hardcore fan may not be able to do.

Phoenix is a 6 hour drive from Las Vegas and once again will mean Vegas U2 fans will have to spend the night in Phoenix if they want to see the concerts. The show is on a thursday and would require any fans to from Vegas to take off as much as two days of work. If a show is added for Friday night, Vegas fans going to that show would have to get off work early. All technically doable, but most Vegas U2 fans will not be taking the trip down to Phoenix, and those that do will have a negligible impact on ticket sales.

I only got to check ticket sales for the second Denver show two hours after it went on sale and all the tickets were gone. It may have soldout even faster. This is excellant business and definitely shows an increase in demand in the Denver market over the Elevation tour where the second show had a slightly reduced capacity and was on a different leg of the tour. I don't think Paul MC was planning on a second Denver show, because the on-sale date was not until the following Friday while with shows in the large markets, tickets for second shows went onsale, unnanounced, minutes after the first shows soldout.

It will be interesting to see how Phoenix, Seattle, and Vancouver sell tomorrow. These are softer markets than the cities on the Northeast and Southwest coasts and once again, sellouts of multiple shows on the same day would like Denver, show the demand to see U2 in these markets has increased over what it was on Elevation.

On another note, both shows at Dublin's Croke Park soldout this morning in 22 minutes, leaving the majority of fans in Ireland without tickets.

Newtshoe said:

I can assure you more than 1000. There will be 1000+ people comming from Vancouver Island alone. Trust me a drive from Calgary + Edmonton to Vancouver isn't that bad. Elevation Tour sold out really quick in Vancouver, I was actually surprised they never added a second show. The market can take another show, I have no question about that.

I would consider Vancouver Island to be part of the Vancouver city market. Its not the far, but I guess there are no trips back to Vancouver Island after midnight so they would have to stay in Vancouver the night.

So what do you think, 2,000 people? You have think about how many people are willing to pay all the expenses for such a trip and then think about how many of them are actually able to obtain tickets for the show.

STING2 said:

I would consider Vancouver Island to be part of the Vancouver city market. Its not the far, but I guess there are no trips back to Vancouver Island after midnight so they would have to stay in Vancouver the night.

So what do you think, 2,000 people? You have think about how many people are willing to pay all the expenses for such a trip and then think about how many of them are actually able to obtain tickets for the show.

I live on Vancouver Island (Nanaimo) and it is 'the thing' we have to deal with (Staying over night that is). If want to see anything in Vancouver it's an overnighter. To me and to most Islanders it is no big deal to stay over night, as it's part of going to a show. We all budget for it. You'd be surprised how many people travel over to see a show. I could anywhere from 1000 to 2000 people from the Island. I went to a canucks game last year and on the fast passenger ferry there were 300 people on it all going over to see a canucks game on that one particular sailing. So for U2 it isn't out of the question to have a large number from VIlanders.

BeckyK1114 said:
OMG U2 at the Gorge would be awesome.
that would be absolutely amazing. That is my favourite venue on Earth.

And a lot less people would try and get tickets for it because it's in the middle of nowhere. Only the determined fans will be going to this one, would be wonderful.

Newtshoe said:

I live on Vancouver Island (Nanaimo) and it is 'the thing' we have to deal with (Staying over night that is). If want to see anything in Vancouver it's an overnighter. To me and to most Islanders it is no big deal to stay over night, as it's part of going to a show. We all budget for it. You'd be surprised how many people travel over to see a show. I could anywhere from 1000 to 2000 people from the Island. I went to a canucks game last year and on the fast passenger ferry there were 300 people on it all going over to see a canucks game on that one particular sailing. So for U2 it isn't out of the question to have a large number from VIlanders.
Yikes, I just thought about how hard it will be to get on one of the first few ferrys to Vancouver on either Thursday or Friday morning. There are gonna be so many sailing waits. Ugh, just another thing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom