Why the Ellipse lottery sucks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cmb737 said:
I think the same could be said to you, Miss America. My only point is he has a valid point, expressed in a creative way. The T-Shirt expresses exactly what many of us are feeling in a way that makes us laugh.

"It's a T-Shirt."

Actually I'm more entertained by your assumption that only "true" fans would get into the ellipse if there wasn't a lottery and how you somehow deserve it more than others.

If you want to make a shirt make a list of what song you think suck, at least you know for sure that was purely the band's fault.

I mean would you do that? Probably not, because it would be disrespectful.

Do Miss America said:

Actually I'm more entertained by your assumption that only "true" fans would get into the ellipse if there wasn't a lottery and how you somehow deserve it more than others.

If you want to make a shirt make a list of what song you think suck, at least you know for sure that was purely the band's fault.

I mean would you do that? Probably not, because it would be disrespectful.

I am making no such assumption, and expecting no such treatment.

What I am stating is based on first hand experience. I have been lucky to have been in the ellipse twice and outside twice. Lucky in both situations to have GA tickets. I prefer outside the ellipse now strictly for the atmosphere that is in the ellipse. I have no care if these are your so called "true fans" or not, regardless of who they are...the concert is not as enjoyable. My contention is this is 100% due to the lottery system. There is a marked difference between the experience of the heart of the Elevation tour and the current tour ellipse. I am not speaking of those on the front rail...but more of the general population of the ellipse. I was floored at the reaction (or lack there of). I am not alone in these observations. I should have taken pictures of them. Are the people in the ellipse with their back turned to the band, on a cell phone, yelling disrespectful?

I don't deserve it more than others, what I do deserve is the ability to express my disdain for your dismissiveness and your assumption as to my context and rational for my argument. I find it disrepectful. Perhaps labeling a comment as Holier-than-thou was a mistake, to which I apologize. It is a phrase which I use often, and perhaps too liberally.

As far as the comment of the song tshirt, I am not sure what you mean by it. The difference between saying a song sucks and a crowd control policy are very different in my mind. U2 is great, but not everything they do is great.

Last edited:
I found very little difference between the fans in the heart during Elevation and those in the Ellipse this tour...maybe this was the show I attended. It may also have been the fact that I wasn't actively seeking out the 'so-called' non fans and in what way the lottery affected 'my atmosphere'. I just went to enjoy the show and the crowd around me was excellent and energetic.

If a person chooses to wear a t-shirt that says the lottery sux, than you are right, they can choose to express their feelings that way. But in return, I can have the opinion that I think the shirt is in poor taste and disrespectful. He might as well wear a shirt that says U2 sux.

I think it was totally disrespectful of U2 to not inform anybody of this lottery system until the morning of the opening of the tour. Especially after the U2.con ticket fiasco. By 9:00 am there were around 4-500 people from all over the world who wanted to be in the ellipse but were denied. As far as I know there were no problems during the last tour. The lottery was introduced 'to give everyone a chance to get into the ellipse'. I feel it could be to create more money for the band. You give a casual fan the best view in the house, blow his (or her) socks off, convert them and have them spend their 500 pounds. For the record I had GA's for 4 shows and didn’t get lucky. I did get into the ellipse once but it was no thanks to the lottery.
I put this on another thread but I did take this shirt to SJ1 and made sure the band saw it. If anyone else wants to get it seen at a show I would be more than happy to mail it to you.

Eliv8,
I really like the shirt. Regardless of my personal views of whether the lottery sucks or not, it's a good, fair expression of what you feel. And the people who think it's disrespectful, come on. I know its not even in the same class, but do you also feel it was disrespectful of Rosa Parks not to move to the back of the bus? We pick and chose our battles and some make momentous strides (Rosa) and some try to make a concert better for themselves. Whatever the case may be, to say it's disrespectful doesn't make sense to me.

Okay, I understand that the lottery in numberical but is it based on ticket or purchase? i.e. has anyone bought more than one ticket at a time and had one scan in and one not? Just wondering, I have 3 GA's and they were purchased at one time. So does that give me 3 chances or one chance?
:ohmy:

Eliv8 said:
The lottery was introduced 'to give everyone a chance to get into the ellipse'. I feel it could be to create more money for the band. You give a casual fan the best view in the house, blow his (or her) socks off, convert them and have them spend their 500 pounds.

And this bothers you because ???????
Why the heck are they touring this album ????????????????

Could it be for exposure???????????????
Could it be to fill their pockets???????????????

What do you really think?

The OOTS said:

And this bothers you because ???????
Why the heck are they touring this album ????????????????

Could it be for exposure???????????????
Could it be to fill their pockets???????????????

What do you really think?

I think they could have been a bit more fair to the fans that have been supporting them for the past 20 odd years.

I think it is fair.
Everyone gets a shot.
A 25 year fan has the same shot as a 1 year fan.

I think the only thing they did wrong was not say that this was going to be the policy beforehand. In reality, would it have swayed the majority of GA ticket buyers from not buying GA? Probably not.

One thing is for certain they wouldnt have been pushing me aside or theyde get pushed back whether they were female or not.

I've now been to a show and I did the GA thing.

My observations:

1. Lotto does get a more varied crowd from show to show in the Bomb Shelter.

2. Lotto is a huge buzz kill. You get your hopes unrealistically high no matter how hard you try. I had to repeatedly try to get my wife over it before the show started. It's not a lot of fun to watch an empty BS slowly fill from the outside of the ellipse, even after the show starts.

3. Lotto doesn't encourage people to stop lining up early. If anything, the consensus is now you have to show up EARLIER to get a spot on the rail, and thus a shot at seeing what is going on instead of the back of heads.

4. Lotto seems to cause more problems with unprepared security who understandably don't want to take a 3 hour course on how to even run the multiple lines/scanning procedure/etc.

5. Lotto removes the possibility of getting into the BS on your own, which most view as a much safer place to be. I was among those who bought tickets betting on getting into the BS, as the outside is a more dangerous place to be.

6. Lotto does give a glimmer of hope of turning that late arriving person into a fan for life.

Last edited:
The OOTS said:
In reality, would it have swayed the majority of GA ticket buyers from not buying GA? Probably not.

Majority, who knows? But for this fan and wife who have purchased 12 GA tickets for 6 shows prior to opening night...we would have done it very differently. We would NOT have purchased GA tickets if the lottery system had been known ahead of time.

Not bitching, not whining...just telling you that we are die-hards seen over 45 U2 shows between us and even met in a GA line last tour. We would have done things differently. That is how strongly we feel about it.

We have tried to trade, but cannot get acceptable trades.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

Majority, who knows? But for this fan and wife who have purchased 12 GA tickets for 6 shows prior to opening night...we would have done it very differently. We would NOT have purchased GA tickets if the lottery system had been known ahead of time.

Hope you bought those GAs at retail.

Lottery works for some and doesn't work for others. I still would have bought my GAs if the policy were made beforehand because I still 1) would have had a chance at the elllipse 2) still be closer than some of $160 seats and all of the $90 seats.

Last edited:
The OOTS said:

Hope you bought those GAs at retail.

Lottery works for some and doesn't work for others. I still would have bought my GAs if the policy were made beforehand because I still 1) would have had a chance at the elllipse 2) still be closer than some of $160 seats and all of the $90 seats.

Actually, all the lower level behind stage tix are closer to the main stage than the outside of the BS. And closer isn't always better. If you're 15 people deep on the outside of the ellipse, you won't see much.

(Please don't flame me, Just playing devil's advocate...)

The lottery sucks because –

The band did it, for their reasons; at what point do we all support the band even if it’s not our personal choice for them to deploy a lottery? Are people going to bitch until they change it; only to have different people bitch about a new system?

As mentioned before, IMO the mistake made was a lack of communication – the lottery should have been made public in advance of ticket sales. IMO it could have changed some people’s ticket buying behavior.

You have the right to put whatever on a t-shirt. I support the right to your freedom of expression. However, IMO this expression is marginally disrespectful. I sure hope the back of the t-shirt says:

“Thanks for coming out, even though Edge has a seriously ill child”

“Thanks for keeping some seats below $50, when the price could have been $125 or more”

“Thanks for touring, we know you could have skipped a tour and come out again after the next new album”

“Thanks for this bomb shelter and catwalk thing, it’s pretty cool for so many people to get close to the band, in the old days, and only the front row folks had this experience”

Mostly though, the lottery sucks because we are still having this conversation and apparently there is very little else to discuss about a great band, a great tour, and a great album.

Yikes.

Well if I knew there was going to be a lottery for GA I would have gotten more GA's. I can't stand or sit in a GA line all day.
I know the shows I'm attending in Amsterdam I'll be in the back...thats OK cause I hope to be smoking my brains out and I don't want to "bother" any non smokers.

Last edited:
BWU2Buffs said:

The band did it, for their reasons; at what point do we all support the band even if it’s not our personal choice for them to deploy a lottery? Are people going to bitch until they change it; only to have different people bitch about a new system?

As mentioned before, IMO the mistake made was a lack of communication – the lottery should have been made public in advance of ticket sales. IMO it could have changed some people’s ticket buying behavior.

You have the right to put whatever on a t-shirt. I support the right to your freedom of expression. However, IMO this expression is marginally disrespectful. I sure hope the back of the t-shirt says:

“Thanks for keeping some seats below $50, when the price could have been $125 or more”

“Thanks for touring, we know you could have skipped a tour and come out again after the next new album”

“Thanks for this bomb shelter and catwalk thing, it’s pretty cool for so many people to get close to the band, in the old days, and only the front row folks had this experience”

Mostly though, the lottery sucks because we are still having this conversation and apparently there is very little else to discuss about a great band, a great tour, and a great album.

Yikes.

I think this is the best post in this "bitchfest" thread.

BWU2Buffs said:

Yikes.

Exactly!!
Why whine about it? It is what it is for whatever the reason.

Besides, I don't want to have to break out my "Lottery Whiners SUCK" T- Shirt.

:ohmy:

The only reason I'm talking about it now is because I just went to my first concert. I'm sorry I don't follow the band accross the country and tour with them.

..So with the GA's, you go early, get your "number" or sign in and then you have to be back by 4:00 or 5:00 or you lose your place in line right??? I've read others say they had to do this....or am I just confused?

no you need to wait in line all day

you can leave the line for a break or two, but the majority of the day you need to stay in line

It depends on the people around you.

In LA, we signed in at 1:00 pm and left for lunch. We got back to the line around 4:30-4:45 pm and settled in with no problems.

It may be a bitchfest of a thread...but it still makes for an interesting read (isn't that always the case?) ;)

Oh and I don't really think the whole t-shirt thing is that disrespectful. I'd say it's exactly the opposite if anything: the people who feel the lottery system sucks are likely to be as respectful of the band as any other fan. The fact that they are genuinely dissappointed with it demonstrates how much they care about the U2 live experience and is evidence of their dedication to the band. Come to think of it: it's a pretty damn fine illustration of respect. It's not a gratuitous display of insulting U2, but simply an attempt at letting the band know how much it's hurting the fans. I would hope that anybody wearing such a t-shirt is trying to convey a constructive message i.e. "change the queing system" rather than being pointlessly negative.

Having a t-shirt with a list of U2 songs which one thinks are crap, on the other hand IS disrespectful. It's completely unconstructive and nasty.

Anyways, here's hoping they change the system for Hampden :drool:

if nobody bitched about the original presale fiasco, then maybe the band wouldnt have realized what a disaster it was and wouldnt have changed it for the better

sometimes letting the band know how you feel can be a good thing

and if people are paying 50-200 bucks for tickets (or more) then i think they have the right to voice their opinions (positive or negative)

corner said:
It may be a bitchfest of a thread...but it still makes for an interesting read (isn't that always the case?) ;)

Oh and I don't really think the whole t-shirt thing is that disrespectful. I'd say it's exactly the opposite if anything: the people who feel the lottery system sucks are likely to be as respectful of the band as any other fan. The fact that they are genuinely dissappointed with it demonstrates how much they care about the U2 live experience and is evidence of their dedication to the band. Come to think of it: it's a pretty damn fine illustration of respect. It's not a gratuitous display of insulting U2, but simply an attempt at letting the band know how much it's hurting the fans. I would hope that anybody wearing such a t-shirt is trying to convey a constructive message i.e. "change the queing system" rather than being pointlessly negative.

Having a t-shirt with a list of U2 songs which one thinks are crap, on the other hand IS disrespectful. It's completely unconstructive and nasty.

Anyways, here's hoping they change the system for Hampden :drool:

You put it well. But I didnt wear it - I wanted to be sure they saw it.

Chizip - Ello M8 - Its kind of warm in here tonight.

There was no way of my wife and I being able to line up early for Vancouver 2. My parents were not free until 7pm to babysit the kids for us. We arrived at 7:40pm to a door to the floor with no line up. In fact, there was not a single concert goer in sight. We walked in and I lucked out with the "vertigo" screen. 8:20 we made our way into the ellipse when the Kings of Crap were all done. It was a wonderful experience that I would never of imagined could of happened to me.

I believe it is true about the odds being better if you arrive later. While I was shopping for stuff, my wife noticed a whole pile of people getting "vertigo" into the ellipse shortly after we did. I asked her what she thought the odds were getting "in." She said of the approx. 25 people that she saw come in, 8 of them scored. Now those are better odds than when the gates open.

Back
Top Bottom