Why no U2 on American Idol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2FanPeter said:
The Springsteen penned Because The Night was done this season.

Patti Smith co-wrote that one and the studio version of it was on one of her albums, not one of Bruce's (except the live version he did on Live 1975-85), so maybe her record company owns the distribution rights.

However, I can't picture Patti Smith being very happy about one of her songs being on American Idol. :huh:

Bono's shades said:

Patti Smith co-wrote that one and the studio version of it was on one of her albums, not one of Bruce's (except the live version he did on Live 1975-85), so maybe her record company owns the distribution rights.

However, I can't picture Patti Smith being very happy about one of her songs being on American Idol. :huh:

Columbia owns that one, as far as I know..

I am not sure Pattie or Bruce would ever have a say, that was the whole point earlier.

It's their music, in a sense, but it can be loaned out.

This is where the indies are right. If the master company refused shit like that, then fine.

Moby sold all his shit out, did he start to suck because of that?
A lot of people think so.

It wasn't so much that Moby sucked after Play, it was the fact that 18 WAS EXACTLY THE SAME ALBUM. Why did he go out of his way to record a follow up that was a clone of the original? Well, maybe he's just in his "dub old vocals I found in the Library of Congress" phase, and it'll just last two or more albums. Or maybe, and I think more likely, it was $$$.

East 17 said:
It wasn't so much that Moby sucked after Play, it was the fact that 18 WAS EXACTLY THE SAME ALBUM. Why did he go out of his way to record a follow up that was a clone of the original? Well, maybe he's just in his "dub old vocals I found in the Library of Congress" phase, and it'll just last two or more albums. Or maybe, and I think more likely, it was $$$.

Well, I think 'Play' was masterfull, very good, at least great, and I think 18 was, besides a few tracks a pile of poop.

I will say, that as a fan of Moby, owner of 4/5 of his albums that his best song, w/o question is actually on 18. Signs of Love.

He can't do better than that song. I think it's his best by far.

I like "Signs of Love" too, actually, and being a physics geek, "We Are All Made of Stars" tickles me pink. So maybe I'm a bit harsh on Moby... it's tough for artists to follow up on their seminal work with something even close to being as original. Only a handful have done it... Radiohead for instance (and they're even more impressive because I think they pulled it off regardless of whether you consider "The Bends," "OK Computer," or "Kid A" to be their flagship album).

Two totally divergent points:

1) Breifly getting back on topic, I don't think the AI ban on Bruce has anything to do with rights or permissions. I actually think I read that with him and a few others, they frown on the style and lack of "pop"ability of the artist's work. Which, to an extent, is plausible: could you imagine anything off of Nebraska being performed on AI? On the other hand, Bruce has a few radio-friendly ballads ("Glory Days" et al), and I could see someone with a true knack for arrangements coming up with a killer version of, say, "Atlantic City." So if true, the AI blacklist is a bit silly.

2) Back to the Moby/sell-out discussion. I hate saying "sold out," because the behavior we normally describe as "selling out" is seldom exclusively about the money. A lot of artists just hit a creative wall at some point. They're out of ideas, but they have enough of a fan base that they can still make a living for a little while longer by recycling old material. Some are just plain lazy. And some aren't that versatile to begin with, even if they aren't profit-maximizers.

U2's an interesting case... they clearly didn't "sell" out with the last two albums (case in point... money exchanged for iPod commercial: $0). My theory is that they "famed" out, that everything about ATYCLB and HTDAAB -- the themes, the sound, the release dates of the album and singles -- have been meticulously planned to win the band official accolades and catapult them back on top. This isn't exactly an epiphany: U2 have all but said as much in public on many occassions. The salient question is why. Was it for ego? A giant prank to win over the mainstream and then f$%& it up from the inside? Increase the fame assets of the Bank of Bono so he can more effectively lobby for his causes? The last one would be my guess, though I know the alternative fans amongst us are really hoping for the second explanation.

Yes. My girlfriend watches American Idol and watchs all these douchebag guys with big broadway "look im smiling!" voices and thinks they are so good. I just don't buy it. Someone performing a U2 song on American Idol is like a robot singing them - there would be no passion at all. Half of these people don't know what passion means or they wouldn't be on a TV show trying to get famous through someone elses actions.

Kelly Clarkson is sexy when she wants to be. And I think her voice is sexy too... and good. :yes:
Whether it was her or her manager who turned her into the "dance-rock-sinceubeengone" girl, it worked. She is so far away from the crap follow ups from American Idol (she won 2 freekin Grammy's... and her songs... aren't that bad!) that she won't look back.

Back
Top Bottom